    else, then I would be happy to hear it.

    Thanks in advance.

    , Jun 17, 2011

  2. nospam Guest

    In article <WKQKp.3855$2>,
    <""> wrote:

    > I was wondering if there are any free anti-spyware programmes to
    > download for Macs, something along the lines of Spybot.
    >
    > I have MacScan at the moment, but that is only for a 30-day trial.
    >
    > I also use Sophos Anti-Virus now, but if anybody can recommend anything
    > else, then I would be happy to hear it.

    it's not needed, and if you already have something why are you looking
    for another?

    only install software from trusted sources (not from random web sites)
    and don't enter your admin password every time it asks you. think about
    why something might need it.

    nospam, Jun 18, 2011

  3. Your Name Guest

    In article <WKQKp.3855$2>, ""
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any free anti-spyware programmes to
    > download for Macs, something along the lines of Spybot.
    >
    > I have MacScan at the moment, but that is only for a 30-day trial.
    >
    > I also use Sophos Anti-Virus now, but if anybody can recommend anything
    > else, then I would be happy to hear it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Anti-virus software is a complete waste of time (as well as disc space and
    processor time) on a Mac. The only benefit is being able to tell a friend
    / collegaue still using Windows that an attachment they sent you is
    infected with a Windows virus.

    Anti-spyware is slightly less pointless, but it makes you wonder what
    dodgey things you might be doing that would make you think you need it.
    Stick to reliable websites and reliable download sites (including NOT
    "jailbrekaing" your iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad), keep your Mac OS / iOS
    and other applications up-to-date, as well as use your brain whenever the
    computer asks for the admin password, and you're extremely unlikely to
    have any problems.

    Even under Windows, none of these so-called "anti-malware" applications
    are that great - they're ALWAYS at least one-step behind the hackers.

    Your Name, Jun 18, 2011
  4. wrote:
    > I was wondering if there are any free anti-spyware programmes to
    > download for Macs, something along the lines of Spybot.
    >
    > I have MacScan at the moment, but that is only for a 30-day trial.
    >
    > I also use Sophos Anti-Virus now, but if anybody can recommend anything
    > else, then I would be happy to hear it.

    Get ClamXAV 2.1.1 instead of both MacScan and Sophos. Instal ClamXAV and
    activate Application Sentry and you're protected against all known
    malware and spyware on the Mac as well as all PC vira that you by unlock
    might receive and resend from your mail application.

    http://www.clamxav.com/download.php

    Definition database files are updated when necessary.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Jun 18, 2011
  5. Tempuser Guest

    On 6/17/11 4:41 PM, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any free anti-spyware programmes to
    > download for Macs, something along the lines of Spybot.
    >
    > I have MacScan at the moment, but that is only for a 30-day trial.
    >
    > I also use Sophos Anti-Virus now, but if anybody can recommend anything
    > else, then I would be happy to hear it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I don't know why you would need anything other than Sophos. That said,
    Avast has released their test version of the free product for Mac:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/avastantivirusmacedition.html

    Pick one: Sophos or Avast... not both.

    Tempuser, Jun 18, 2011
  6. Your Name Guest

    In article <itiqnj$s3n$>, wrote:

    > I don't know why you would need anything other than Sophos. That said,
    > Avast has released their test version of the free product for Mac:
    > http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/
    > avastantivirusmacedition.html
    >
    > Pick one: Sophos or Avast... not both.

    Nah. Load up your Mac with every useless anti-virus applciation there is
    just to see how slow and unstable you can make it run.

    Your Name, Jun 18, 2011
  7. Kele Guest

    As Mac's have gained some market share, it makes sense that virus' will be
    written for Macs. Why this thrills programmers is a mystery to me. And the
    comment about "if you already have something why look elsewhere" sounds so
    Mac cocoon.

    I'm a PC

    Kele, Jun 19, 2011
  8. Paul Guest

    Kele wrote:
    > As Mac's have gained some market share, it makes sense that virus' will be
    > written for Macs. Why this thrills programmers is a mystery to me. And the
    > comment about "if you already have something why look elsewhere" sounds so
    > Mac cocoon.
    >
    > I'm a PC

    It's not thrills. It's the opportunity to make money. Originally,
    it may have had more to do with thrills, but that has changed
    over the years, as has the type of individual doing it.

    If you can install some rogueware on a computer, there are plenty
    of people who will follow the prompt to enter their credit card
    number and "buy" the rogueware. The malware writer gets
    to keep the credit card money, and also can sell the credit
    card information to others. It's a "win-win".

    Macs used to have viruses, back in the pre-MacOSX days.
    John Norstad's Disinfectant is what we used for that. I
    cleaned up one outbreak at work with it. I had one user,
    who had a drawer full of infected floppies - one of
    those individuals that needs to be whacked upside the
    head with a "clue stick". It was very hard to convince
    him, not to be stuffing the infected discs into
    every computer he could find.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfectant_(software)

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 19, 2011