    junk gets onto your system, I'm looking for something that prevents spyware
    and adware from even getting onto your system.

    Thanks.
    Dimetric Houston, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Dimetric Houston

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dimetric Houston" <> wrote in
    news:Jsqwc.5978$:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > Are there any programs that prevent spyware and adware from getting
    > onto my system?
    >
    > Although I have found plenty of programs that clean the system after
    > the junk gets onto your system, I'm looking for something that
    > prevents spyware and adware from even getting onto your system.
    >
    > Thanks.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    It's not 100% nothing is that.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Download SpyBlaster, It works like your Antivirus would it runs in the
    background and stops the spyware from even getting on your computer and it's
    free. Ad-aware Pro 6.0 will detect almost every spyware malware that there
    is on the net but you have to pay for that.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Dimetric Houston

    mcp6453 Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > Download SpyBlaster, It works like your Antivirus would it runs in the
    > background and stops the spyware from even getting on your computer and it's
    > free. Ad-aware Pro 6.0 will detect almost every spyware malware that there
    > is on the net but you have to pay for that.
    >
    > LJ

    How does SpyBlaster compare with SpyBot's Innoculate feature?
    mcp6453, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    SpyBlater Runs in the background so it stops the Spyware from getting on
    your computer, It's a free program and has regular updates. Just type
    SpyBlaster into www.google.com and it will find it or you. Also CWShredder
    is good program and it's free. Ad-Aware 6 Pro is one of the best out there,
    but you have to pay for that.

    P.S. I got a Browser Hijack problem a few months ago, I ran CWShredder < The
    free program that fixed it but Ad-Aware the one I paid for didn't. But
    Ad-Aware is a brilliant program and you can download regular updates for it.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Dimetric Houston

    John Guest

    I run three programs all at once for getting rid of spyware.

    I use AdAware 6, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.

    The first two are good for scanning your system and removing spyware.
    The last one prevents it ever being installed in the first place.

    You can get them all for free at download.com

    I also recently got a copy of avast the anti-virus program which seems
    to be pretty good, and free if I'm not mistaken. I used to have AVG
    but there seemed to be a lot of things it wasn't picking up on.

    John
    John, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Dimetric Houston

    bambam Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > SpyBlater Runs in the background so it stops the Spyware from
    > getting on your computer, It's a free program and has regular
    > updates. Just type SpyBlaster into www.google.com and it will
    > find it or you.

    OK, first I think you are talking about "Spywareblaster"

    And secondly, it doesn't run in the background-

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/0/005/article/

    Spywareblaster has a good reputation, and needs to be regularly updated
    to be effective.

    --
    Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow
    bambam, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Dimetric Houston

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    The link:

    http://www.download2me.net/boards/viewthread.php?tid=1285

    Is for SpyBlaster. Here's a description of it.
    Spyblaster - Prevent spyware from being installed on your computer for free.

    SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever
    being installed. SpywareBlaster blocks the installation of spyware ActiveX
    controls (such as Lop.com and Xupiter) in its database, and can even prevent
    them from running if they are installed. The built-in Check for Updates
    feature allows quick and easy database updates (released frequently).
    Information on all spyware covered in the database is also provided.
    SpywareBlaster does not need to be running in the background - simple select
    the items you wish to be protected against (or select all items), press the
    Protect button, and protection is enabled. The newest version can also block
    spyware/tracking cookies, and includes a System Snapshot feature which
    allows you to take a snapshot of your computer in its clean state and later
    revert many changes made by spyware and browser hijackers. The latest
    version includes new tools, core improvements, and bug fixes.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yes it is the same page, But the program is called SpyBlaster and it runs in
    the background just like your AV would, thus stopping spyware from even
    getting onto your computer.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Dimetric Houston

    bambam Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:43:10 +0100, wrote:

    > First of all I am talking about SpyBlaster. Which you can get free from:
    >
    > http://www.download2me.net/boards/viewthread.php?tid=1285
    >
    > And secondly it does run in the background.

    Your link doesn´t work for me, I get the following message-

    <paste>

    Access to this website is currently not possible as your hostname/IP
    appears suspicous.

    <paste>

    Could you please send a link to the home page of this program.
    Thanks.
    bambam, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Suspicious eh, What have you been up to then Bambam?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Dimetric Houston

    bambam Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ca1ddj$ooo$1
    @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > Suspicious eh, What have you been up to then Bambam?

    Wouldn't you like to know? :)
    So where is the home page for "Spyblaster"?
    I've searched google and can't find it.
    Thanks.

    --
    The last fight was my fault.
    My wife asked "what's on the TV"?
    bambam, Jun 7, 2004
  15. Dimetric Houston

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    bambam <> wrote in news:69Ywc.1267$NA1.121640
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ca1ddj$ooo$1
    > @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    >> Suspicious eh, What have you been up to then Bambam?

    > Wouldn't you like to know? :)
    > So where is the home page for "Spyblaster"?
    > I've searched google and can't find it.
    > Thanks.

    Ganked from work:

    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email:
    DeMoN LaG, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Dimetric Houston

    bambam Guest

    DeMoN LaG <> wrote in news:Xns950170C3ED57DWobbly@
    208.42.66.156:

    > bambam <> wrote in news:69Ywc.1267$NA1.121640
    > @news02.tsnz.net:
    >
    >> "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ca1ddj$ooo$1
    >> @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >>
    >>> Suspicious eh, What have you been up to then Bambam?

    >> Wouldn't you like to know? :)
    >> So where is the home page for "Spyblaster"?
    >> I've searched google and can't find it.
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Ganked from work:

    Thanks DeMon, but I really wanted Lloyd to admit he was wrong about the
    name. Guess he has just decided not to reply. :)

    --
    Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
    bambam, Jun 8, 2004
  17. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Ok I admit I was wrong about the name, but it does run in the background to
    prevent spyware from getting on your machine. You said "And secondly, it
    doesn't run in the background" So it's time to admit your wrong.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 8, 2004
  18. Dimetric Houston

    > Ok I admit I was wrong about the name, but it does run in the
    > background to prevent spyware from getting on your machine. You
    > said "And secondly, it doesn't run in the background" So it's time
    > to admit your wrong.

    I was wrong once, ask my wife. ;)
    But not this time. You quote part of my post, did you read the link
    that I sent? OK then I'll post it here-

    <quote>

    FAQ: Do I have to keep SpywareBlaster running for it to provide
    protection?

    DETAILS

    SpywareBlaster does not need to remain running to provide protection.

    After you enable protection for all items, you can exit the program
    and you will still be protected.

    But don't forget to run SpywareBlaster at least once a week to
    download the latest updates and enable protection for them!

    <quote>

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/0/005/article/

    --
    I plan on living forever. So far, so good.
    bambam, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Just because it there isn't a icon in the system tray doesn't mean that it's
    not running. "After you enable protection for all items, you can exit the
    program
    and you will still be protected." Do you know why? because it runs in the
    background bamby.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  20. Dimetric Houston

    Thor Guest

    Lloyd, spywareblaster does not have a resident background component. It
    merely prevents/blocks sources of spyware and web tracking by setting up
    preventative registry entries that block the execution of certain activeX
    controls, and by modifying your browser's own cookie restriction settings.
    There is no background component of Spywareblaster.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004