    recommended?

    TIA

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Louise

    Ken Russell Guest

    Qurb is excellent if you don't mind working with only a white list. It
    accepts e-mails from approved senders only and quarantines everything else.
    You can review the quarantine folder and approve e-mails from new senders
    that you approve.

    It's not suitable if you get a lot of authentic e-mails from new senders.
    http://www.qurb.com/

    --
    Ken Russell

    Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
    ..

    Ken Russell, Jun 7, 2005

  3. On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:51:46 -0400, Louise <> wrote:

    >I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
    >until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
    >
    >Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
    >loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
    >use.
    >
    >I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
    >that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
    >download updates every night.
    >
    >Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
    >recommended?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Louise

    Yes, Spambayes or Spamihilator
    read more trustworthy alternatives:
    http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spam.html
    at the time I use Spambayes, and it does a good job.
    greetings

    --
    www.nondisputandum.com - soft reviews:
    freeware to Protect & Clean your PC

    NonDisputandum.com, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Louise

    Andrew Wood Guest

    SpamPal: www.spampal.us

    Andrew Wood, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Louise

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > SpamPal: www.spampal.us

    That is a mirror site with some differences in content. The SpamPal
    home site is at http://www.spampal.org.

    Vanguard, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Louise

    lee Guest

    Louise wrote:
    > I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
    > until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
    >
    > Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
    > loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
    > use.
    >
    > I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
    > that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
    > download updates every night.
    >
    > Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
    > recommended?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
    which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
    purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
    legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
    Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
    nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

    lee, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <sjjpe.3$>,
    says...
    > Louise wrote:
    > > I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
    > > until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
    > >
    > > Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
    > > loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
    > > use.
    > >
    > > I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
    > > that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
    > > download updates every night.
    > >
    > > Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
    > > recommended?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Louise

    > There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
    > which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
    > purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
    > legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
    > Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
    > nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I like the simplicity of Trend's Spam Pilot
    and the fact that I don't have to train it much at all. It just went
    through my Outlook inbox pretty accurately.

    My only "issue" is that Outlook takes about 20 seconds to close with
    Spam Pilot running. Since I have 4 user accounts, I have to wait 20+
    seconds after closing one account before I can open another.

    If I don't wait, outlook is still running and therefore brings up the
    same user again.

    Do you have this "problem"?

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Louise

    Alceryes Guest

    > Qurb is excellent if you don't mind working with only a white list. It
    > accepts e-mails from approved senders only and quarantines everything
    > else. You can review the quarantine folder and approve e-mails from new
    > senders that you approve.

    Outlook XP has this functionality built in.
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Jun 8, 2005
  9. Louise

    Alceryes Guest

    I 3rd the Spam-pal suggestion. I used it on a clients system and it worked
    great.

    Alceryes, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Louise

    Louise Guest

    Lee - Re: Anti-span program?

    In article <sjjpe.3$>,
    says...
    > Louise wrote:
    > > I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
    > > until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
    > >
    > > Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
    > > loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
    > > use.
    > >
    > > I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
    > > that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
    > > download updates every night.
    > >
    > > Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
    > > recommended?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Louise

    > There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
    > which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
    > purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
    > legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
    > Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
    > nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

    Thanks so much. The Trend Micro program is just what I'm looking for
    and I agree that it does a very good job of finding only the spam mail.

    It did find one false positive and I've used it on approximately 100
    emails so far. Yes, it misses some spam, but very few, and that's no
    big deal.

    I really like not having to teach and configure something beyond just
    telling it to let certain senders through.

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 9, 2005
  11. Louise

    lee Guest

    Re: Lee - Re: Anti-span program?

    Louise wrote:

    > Thanks so much. The Trend Micro program is just what I'm looking for
    > and I agree that it does a very good job of finding only the spam mail.
    >
    > It did find one false positive and I've used it on approximately 100
    > emails so far. Yes, it misses some spam, but very few, and that's no
    > big deal.
    >
    > I really like not having to teach and configure something beyond just
    > telling it to let certain senders through.
    >
    > Louise

    Report the false positives, so that Trend can upgrade it's signature
    files for future releases. The only real problem with the program is
    that it slows down Outlook some at startup. But hell, any 3rd party
    add-on to Outlook tends to slow it down.

    lee, Jun 9, 2005
  12. Louise

    Louise Guest

    Re: Lee - Re: Anti-span program?

    In article <%A_pe.2$>,
    says...
    > Louise wrote:
    >

    > > Thanks so much. The Trend Micro program is just what I'm looking for
    > > and I agree that it does a very good job of finding only the spam mail.
    > >
    > > It did find one false positive and I've used it on approximately 100
    > > emails so far. Yes, it misses some spam, but very few, and that's no
    > > big deal.
    > >
    > > I really like not having to teach and configure something beyond just
    > > telling it to let certain senders through.
    > >
    > > Louise

    > Report the false positives, so that Trend can upgrade it's signature
    > files for future releases. The only real problem with the program is
    > that it slows down Outlook some at startup. But hell, any 3rd party
    > add-on to Outlook tends to slow it down.

    I will report the false positives.

    I've also been reporting the spam that it misses. I assume this
    worthwhile as well?

    Yes, it does slow down outlook at startup and also when closing and
    opening with a new user. But I'm adaptable :)

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 10, 2005