    Any other idea's or pointers would be great.

    thanks

    , Feb 23, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Im after a camera with some kind of image stabilizing or Anti Shake.
    >

    > Like most things the cheaper the better ....... i would be fer
    > something with 5x Optical zoom + and at least 4mp
    >
    > I've been look at the Z3
    >

    > Any other idea's or pointers would be great.
    >
    > thanks

    Panasonic - e.g. FZ5, FZ7 but many others in the range

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/

    Canon - e.g. S2 IS, S3 IS

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks Dave,

    The cheapest Canon is the IS2 IS and the cheapest ive found is £277 i
    was hoping for something a little closer to the £200 mark.

    thanks

    -Tom

    , Feb 23, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Im after a camera with some kind of image stabilizing or Anti Shake.
    >

    > Like most things the cheaper the better ....... i would be fer
    > something with 5x Optical zoom + and at least 4mp
    >
    > I've been look at the Z3
    >

    > Any other idea's or pointers would be great.
    >
    > thanks

    I might suggest that Image Stabilization is something that to do right
    is not free. Manufacturers are not going to ignore a good thing when they
    see it. So you can expect manufacturers adding a poor Image Stabilization
    system to a low priced camera, not because it is a good working combination,
    but because it will sell cameras. I would expect the low end systems to
    generally not be worth the money.

    I suggest that before you buy, that you test drive any low end IS system
    you might consider. It may be no better, yet more expensive than a non IS
    camera.

    The higher end mid and upper systems have test results and reviews
    available. Some of the lower end models may also have them available.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 23, 2006
  5. On 23 Feb 2006 03:24:13 -0800, <> wrote:
    > Thanks Dave,
    >
    > The cheapest Canon is the IS2 IS and the cheapest ive found is £277 i
    > was hoping for something a little closer to the £200 mark.

    Look at the lower-end Panasonics, then.

    The LZ2, for instance, gives a 6x stabilized zoom at about $200 US
    street price. The replacement models (LZ3 and 4, I think) should be
    available soon, so you might consider waiting.

    You lose the manual controls that the FZ series (or the Canons) give,
    and you only have half the zoom range of the bigger cameras, but the
    price is quite a bit lower.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 23, 2006
  6. Paul Allen Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks Dave,
    >
    > The cheapest Canon is the IS2 IS and the cheapest ive found is £277 i
    > was hoping for something a little closer to the £200 mark.

    Check out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    You have to translate street prices to/from dollars, and you can't
    specify sensor resolution ranges. but it will give you an idea of
    what's available.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Feb 23, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thanks for all the help everybody, i have no bought a Z5 :) I am very
    very pleased so far ........ even at full zoom i can take very clear
    pictures on ISO 50 :)

    thanks

    , Mar 2, 2006