    What is the best anti-keylogger utility out there for win2K?
    Best free one?

    Thanks!

    J.Smith, Nov 11, 2004

  2. David H. Lipman, Nov 11, 2004

  3. J.Smith

    DJ Guest

    DJ, Nov 11, 2004
  4. David H. Lipman, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Get programs such as Spybot S&D and AdAware and run a scan on a regular
    basis. You'd be surprised how much you'll find. Some computers even have
    mild spyware on them when they come from the manufacturer.

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    > > AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
    > > AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    > > CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one

    year.

    Timothy Goddard, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Or from your ISP.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 11, 2004
  7. J.Smith

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:01:07 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Key loggers are Trojans and are covered by them.
    >
    >Dave

    ######################
    I certainly wouldn't depend on Norton to find a keystroke logger.
    Look in the registry.
    donnie

    donnie, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Which hive Donnie ?

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 12, 2004
  9. J.Smith

    J.Smith Guest

    Already using both of them, but they don't detect keyloggers, as far as I
    know.
    Thanks, anyway.

    J.Smith, Nov 13, 2004
  10. J.Smith

    J.Smith Guest

    > >Key loggers are Trojans and are covered by them.
    > >
    > >Dave

    > ######################
    > I certainly wouldn't depend on Norton to find a keystroke logger.
    > Look in the registry.

    If not Norton, which AV soft can (is most efficent at) detect/remove
    keyloggers?
    I didn't know that AV can detect keyloggers. Thanks, Dave, for that info.

    However, I agree with Donnie, that Norton can't detect/remove keyloggers.
    One aquaintance of mine had a keylogger, and Norton was not able to even
    detect it, and neither did Panda (online ver.). I don't know exactly what
    kind of keylogger it was, but it was sending user's keystrokes to some IP
    address.

    Thanks!

    J.Smith, Nov 13, 2004
  11. J.Smith

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <KHeld.41185$>,
    "J.Smith" <> wrote:
    >Already using both of them, but they don't detect keyloggers, as far as I
    >know.
    >Thanks, anyway.
    >
    >> Get programs such as Spybot S&D and AdAware and run a scan on a regular
    >> basis. You'd be surprised how much you'll find. Some computers even have
    >> mild spyware on them when they come from the manufacturer.

    There are a number of programs which claim to be keyloggger
    detectors, such as Personal Antispy (which is reputed to be good
    but not perfect).

    However, the best candidate seems, at first glance, to be an
    unlikely one. The best keylogger detector is also the best (by
    far) anti-trojan: TDS-3 from Diamondcs. TDS can detect most
    keyloggers by signature but also has fancy heuristics.

    Incidentally their (very new) program ProcessGuard gives superb
    backup protection to any firewall by ensuring that permitted
    applications cannot be compromised. Not just my opinion either -
    see the excellent firewall rating - and severe testing! - site:

    www.firewallleaktester.com
    [yep, three l's in a row!]

    Regards,

    PS There is a very long (but unrated) list of those who
    supply anti-monitoring software including anti-keyloggers at the
    following site:

    http://www.anti-keyloggers.com/antimonitoring_products.html
    [scroll down a bit]

    nemo outis, Nov 13, 2004
  12. J.Smith

    J.Smith Guest

    Thanks for your intput! I appreciate it!

    J.Smith, Nov 13, 2004
  13. AdAware and Spybot do scan for keyboard loggers though Pest Patrol probably
    is better than both in that regard but I do not think it is free any longer
    since CA bought it. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 14, 2004
  14. J.Smith

    dc0de Guest

    I don't know what Donnie () is talking about, as I
    have Symantec Anti-Virus 9, and Symantec Client Security 2.0, and do not
    have to worry about keyloggers.

    Symantec has a great track record of finding these trojans, and being
    able to remove them. And since they own www.securityfocus.com, they
    have one of the largest groups of information gatherers in the
    Information Security market. I would be wary of any small companies
    that claim to do a better job across the board.

    Just my 2¢, YMMV.

    dc0de, Dec 3, 2004
  15. J.Smith

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    Hi,

    comments inline:

    "dc0de" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know what Donnie () is talking about, as I
    > have Symantec Anti-Virus 9, and Symantec Client Security 2.0, and do not
    > have to worry about keyloggers.

    Are you serious? Not that I'm a big paranoid, but they can't do anything
    with hardware keyloggers, nor they detected a sofware keylogger that my
    colleague has written in few hours. They don't analyse API hooks - Symantec
    only protects against well-known software keylogger engines.

    > Symantec has a great track record of finding these trojans, and being
    > able to remove them. And since they own www.securityfocus.com, they
    > have one of the largest groups of information gatherers in the
    > Information Security market. I would be wary of any small companies
    > that claim to do a better job across the board.

    Symantec is a good company and nobody claims being better accross the board.
    But it is a fact of life that Symantec doesn't do overly good job protecting
    againts different kinds of annoying malware/adware/crapware (I'm not too
    sure about rootkits). There is no perfect vendor.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    S. Pidgorny, Dec 4, 2004
  16. J.Smith

    Joe Guest

    Crackers tend to target their software too, as they are so popular

    Joe, Dec 6, 2004
  17. J.Smith

    LiWiuBai

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Free keystroke encryption from Encassa

    check out codefender from encassa. it beats keyloggers by encrypting keystrokes between the keyboard and application so if a keylogger penetrates your antivirus defences then any keystrokes that are stolen are garbled and useless to the keylogger. you can download it free for IE and firefox from download.com

    LiWiuBai, Feb 20, 2010