    currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    worldwide?
    John Abbot, Oct 21, 2003

  2. John Abbot

    Guest

    John Abbot <> wrote:
    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    > worldwide?

    Where did you hear that?
    , Oct 21, 2003

  3. John Abbot

    Doc Guest

    "John Abbot" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    > worldwide?

    Definitely one of the better urban myths I've heard recently!

    Doc
    Doc, Oct 21, 2003
  4. John Abbot

    Michalkun Guest

    "John Abbot" <> wrote in

    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    > worldwide?

    I don't think so. It would be a waste of money.
    I heard though that good copy machines can prevent copying things with
    copyright signs, etc.
    Michalkun, Oct 21, 2003
  5. John Abbot

    Bob Niland Guest

    >> "John Abbot" <> wrote
    > Doc" doc..net <@> wrote:

    >> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser
    >> printers will no longer print currency notes

    Not clear if any of these have hit the
    market yet.

    > Definitely one of the better urban
    > myths I've heard recently!

    Not a myth. Here's a recent link:
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2003/july_sept/counterfeit.html

    Whether this will make it to market
    and/or be effective, I couldn't say.

    If it does, don't be surprised if there
    are some visible and unwanted artifacts
    in perfectly legitimate images.

    Do you suppose webzine and magazine printer
    tests will soon include banknote images in
    their datasets?

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
    Bob Niland, Oct 21, 2003
  6. John Abbot

    SimonG Ltd. Guest

    "Michalkun" <> wrote in message
    > "John Abbot" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is

    it
    > > worldwide?

    > I don't think so. It would be a waste of money.
    > I heard though that good copy machines can prevent copying things with
    > copyright signs, etc.

    This technology has been present in colour photocopiers for quite a few
    years . . . . .

    regards, SimonG
    ---------------------

    Visit www.F1Album.com . . .let me know what you think . .
    SimonG Ltd., Oct 21, 2003
  7. Like all urban legend, this one disproves itself. Just look at the
    output and try to imagine someone thinking, even drunk in a dark bar, would
    confuse it for the real thing.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 22, 2003
  8. John Abbot

    Charlie Self Guest

    Joseph Meehan states:

    >Like all urban legend, this one disproves itself. Just look at the
    >output and try to imagine someone thinking, even drunk in a dark bar, would
    >confuse it for the real thing.

    You never really know. Many years ago, when I was in college, working nights in
    a corner grocery, the guy on with me took a 20 that was so off-color it was
    almost blue. I was back filling the beer cooler and called the cops
    immediately. It was queer, and a real PITA, with Treasury guys around for days,
    and local copys yanking me out of bed for a description of the car the clowns
    used.

    Recently (last week), I saw that someone had been reproducing dollar bills and
    running them through soft drink machines. Doing the bills in B&W, at that.

    Charlie Self

    "Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle."
    Bob Hope
    Charlie Self, Oct 22, 2003
  9. John Abbot

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:52:18 +0100, "John Abbot"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    >currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    >counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    >worldwide?

    As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
    peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
    and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.

    I don't know if this is in any printers per se.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 22, 2003
  10. John Abbot

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Abbot wrote:

    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    > worldwide?

    I doubt that VERY much. It would be quite difficult to include such
    software.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 22, 2003
  11. John Abbot

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I know some of the high-end color laser equipment embeds a micro-code of the
    printer's serial number, in the image...so it can be traced back to a
    particular printer. This was started several years ago.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 22, 2003
  12. John Abbot

    George Guest

    Sounds like this means that the value of older printers won't decline so
    fast making it less costly for honest people to trade up to the latest
    printers... Just dump the old one on eBay and buy the latest.

    George, Oct 22, 2003
  13. John Abbot

    George Guest

    I find that amazing that the machine would take it as I usually have to try
    3-4 (real) dollar bills, straighten them, etc before a vending machine will
    recognize and accept one.

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Joseph Meehan states:

    <<<SNIP>>>

    George, Oct 22, 2003
  14. John Abbot

    Charlie Self Guest

    George responds:

    >I find that amazing that the machine would take it as I usually have to try
    >3-4 (real) dollar bills, straighten them, etc before a vending machine will
    >recognize and accept one.
    >
    >"Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    >> Joseph Meehan states:
    >>

    ><<<SNIP>>>
    >>
    >> Recently (last week), I saw that someone had been reproducing dollar bills

    >and
    >> running them through soft drink machines. Doing the bills in B&W, at that.

    Hey, as Will Rogers once said, "All I know is what I read in the papers."

    Charlie Self, Oct 22, 2003
  15. "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message

    > Hey, as Will Rogers once said, "All I know is what I read in the papers."
    >
    > Charlie Self

    I seem to recall a newspaper announcement of the results of a
    presidential election that was proven wrong later in the day. ;-)

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 22, 2003
  16. John Abbot

    Matt Arnold Guest

    Really? Surely you can get around this with Tipp-Ex?

    Matt Arnold, Oct 22, 2003
  17. John Abbot

    Stewy Guest

    "John Abbot" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
    > worldwide?

    Well, if you try and counterfeit US bills you'll find the green running out
    pretty quickly.
    Stewy, Oct 22, 2003
  18. John Abbot

    Mxsmanic Guest

    John Abbot writes:

    > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
    > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
    > counterfeit banknote is being printed)?

    No.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 22, 2003
  19. John Abbot

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Bob Niland writes:

    > Not a myth. Here's a recent link:
    > http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2003/july_sept/counterfeit.html

    It reads like disinformation to me. The very measures discussed are
    invalidated for the reasons described earlier in the same article.
    Trying to build printers that refuse to print currency images or
    misprint them deliberately is an exercise in futility, for reasons the
    article itself makes clear.

    > If it does, don't be surprised if there
    > are some visible and unwanted artifacts
    > in perfectly legitimate images.

    Don't be surprised if sales of HP equipment drop in consequence.

    > Do you suppose webzine and magazine printer
    > tests will soon include banknote images in
    > their datasets?

    That would be illegal, in most jurisdictions.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 22, 2003
  20. John Abbot

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Michalkun writes:

    > I heard though that good copy machines can prevent copying things with
    > copyright signs, etc.

    Where did you hear this?

    Mxsmanic, Oct 22, 2003