    You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    come up on DVDs?
    -Rich

    Richard, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Richard

    Bill Guest

    Anti copy dots? Are you referring to the small circle that will sometimes
    appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen? If so, that would be a
    visual cue that a reel in the movie is about to come to an end. Depending
    upon the source material used, and the restoration techniques employed, that
    could make it into either a DVD or VHS release.

    Bill, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Richard

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Anti copy dots? Are you referring to the small circle that will sometimes
    > appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen? If so, that would be a
    > visual cue that a reel in the movie is about to come to an end. Depending
    > upon the source material used, and the restoration techniques employed,

    that
    > could make it into either a DVD or VHS release.

    No, he's talking about "cap codes," (usually) red dots that are digital
    anti-piracy data printed on the film itself. They can appear in different
    places on the screen, and they're quite different from reel-change cues.

    I've never seen them on a DVD and wouldn't expect to, since they're added to
    the exhibition prints, and these days DVD's are not mastered from exhibition
    prints.

    The same is true of reel-change cues, of course.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Richard

    Richard C. Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    : You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    : come up on DVDs?
    : -Rich

    ===================
    What is an "anti-copy" dot?
    ====================

    Richard C., Dec 11, 2003
  5. Richard

    Codswallop Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:46:39 GMT, Richard C. wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    >> come up on DVDs?

    > What is an "anti-copy" dot?

    I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
    something to do with copy protection.

    Reel-change marks appear on VERY few DVDs. You'd only do it if that was
    the only source print you could find.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)

    Codswallop, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Richard

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Richard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    > come up on DVDs?

    It's on the Fight Club DVD. ;^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Richard

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 12/11/03 6:20 PM, in article
    , "Jordan Lund"
    <> wrote:

    > (Richard) wrote in message
    >> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    >> come up on DVDs?

    > It's on the Fight Club DVD. ;^)
    >
    > - Jordan

    Shhhh. Don't talk about Fight Club.... :p

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Codswallop <> wrote in

    > I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
    > something to do with copy protection.

    No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill Bill-,
    and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-. They're
    a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant to identify
    the print with a specific serial over the course of the entire film. If
    the print's videotaped at the theater and distributed, the dots can be
    matched with where the print was shown. They show up every few minutes in
    the print, generally.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer | geo*at*snarksoft*dot*com

    George Mealer, Dec 12, 2003
  9. "George Mealer" <> wrote in message
    > Codswallop <> wrote in
    >
    > > I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
    > > something to do with copy protection.

    > No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill Bill-,
    > and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-. They're
    > a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant to identify
    > the print with a specific serial over the course of the entire film. If
    > the print's videotaped at the theater and distributed, the dots can be
    > matched with where the print was shown. They show up every few minutes in
    > the print, generally.

    From a recent Roger Ebert column:

    "Crap codes -- excuse me, cap codes -- have enraged a lot of Answer Man
    correspondents.... Why are the dots so big and visible? Why not do something
    subtle and subliminal? Because the dots are intended to identify prints that
    have been pirated by analog means -- i.e., by being videotaped off a screen.
    Hollywood is in a paranoid seizure about piracy right now, spending a
    fortune on security guards who body-search movie critics while the real
    pirates steal from within the system."

    original link:
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert30.html

    Dougie Roberts, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Richard

    Mr. Moody Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:44:44 GMT, "Dougie Roberts" <>
    wrote:

    >"Crap codes -- excuse me, cap codes -- have enraged a lot of Answer Man
    >correspondents.... Why are the dots so big and visible? Why not do something
    >subtle and subliminal? Because the dots are intended to identify prints that
    >have been pirated by analog means -- i.e., by being videotaped off a screen.
    >Hollywood is in a paranoid seizure about piracy right now, spending a
    >fortune on security guards who body-search movie critics while the real
    >pirates steal from within the system."
    >
    >original link:
    >http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert30.html

    I like the previous quote: "If [Return Of The King]'s got cap codes, I'm never
    going back to the theater again."

    -Mr.Moody-Remove the don't like spam to mail
    The best DVDs ever created:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...ath=tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1DI9N74554UWW/

    Mr. Moody, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Richard

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I like the previous quote: "If [Return Of The King]'s got cap codes, I'm never
    > going back to the theater again."
    >
    > -Mr.Moody-Remove the don't like spam to mail
    > The best DVDs ever created:
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...ath=tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1DI9N74554UWW/

    I may be only one person, and if you add my wife, the
    total is two.. BUT, The first time a "cap-code" intrudes
    on our enjoyment of a film, it will be the LAST TIME we
    sit in a movie theater.

    Hollywood has gone "NUTS" over the piracy they
    themselves cause.

    American Studios release thier movies in the US far
    earlier than they release them in other parts of the
    world, thus creating about half the pirate market for
    newly released movies (the othew "half" of the pirate
    market steals because they can, not because there is a
    market).

    Then upon release of the DvD they do it all over again
    with the staggered DvD release dates.

    "Cam-corder" pirates cater to the very BOTTOM of the
    pirate market. The very best "cam-corder" copies are not
    worth the time it takes to watch them.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Richard

    Mark W Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
    > come up on DVDs?
    > -Rich

    The funny thing is, if you were to measure the size of the dot as it appears
    on the cinema screen, it is exactly the size of a DVD!

    It is not well known that if you stick a blank DVD-R onto the screen at
    exactly the point where the 'dot' appears, and remove it after the film has
    been shown, you will have a perfect copy of the movie on the disc!!

    Mark W, Dec 12, 2003
  13. Richard

    Ken W. Guest

    > No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill Bill-,
    > and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-.

    Well, I thought I was imagining things, but I saw those dots in Master and
    Commander one time. I immediately guessed it somehow identified that print.

    They're
    > a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant to identify
    > the print with a specific serial over the course of the entire film.

    They weren't mixed into the image or subtle, they were right out in the sky!

    If
    > the print's videotaped at the theater and distributed, the dots can be
    > matched with where the print was shown. They show up every few minutes in
    > the print, generally.

    Ken W.

    Ken W., Dec 13, 2003
  14. Richard

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Ken W." <> wrote in message
    > > No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill

    Bill-,
    > > and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-.

    > Well, I thought I was imagining things, but I saw those dots in Master

    and
    > Commander one time. I immediately guessed it somehow identified that

    print.

    Yes, the print I saw of Master and Commander was downright horrible with
    the presence of those anti-copy dots during A LOT of scenes.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Richard

    Codswallop Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:33:58 GMT, George Mealer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill
    > Bill-, and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and
    > Commander-.
    >
    > They're a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant
    > to identify the print with a specific serial over the course of the
    > entire film.

    Oops, my bad. I was /wondering/ what the hell those dots were when I
    saw Kill Bill!

    Totally rubbish; and /completely/ distracting. I thought Tarantino was
    doing some sort of fanboy-film thing I just didn't get, but they
    bothered me the whole way through.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)

    Codswallop, Dec 14, 2003
  16. Richard

    JohnW248 Guest

    In article <Xns944EBCBEE1CB2geosnarksoftcom@208.201.224.154>, George Mealer
    <> writes:

    >No, this is a relatively new thing.

    This has been in use on theatrical release prints for about 20 years. It is
    added in processing of the positive print and usually only on one reel of that
    movie. It's always in the same reel of that title.

    It is not on preprint material such as dupe negatives or ips. Most features are
    transfered from IPs on current release prints (those are special positive
    prints with a dye mask which are normally used to make duplicate
    negatives--they do not have sound tracks).

    John

    JohnW248, Dec 15, 2003