    With the recent sinking of an Antarctic cruise ship by an iceberg, does
    anyone want to offer revised advice about keeping your camera dry, or the
    best clothing to wear during one of these cruises?
    Marty Fremen, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Marty Fremen wrote:
    > With the recent sinking of an Antarctic cruise ship by an iceberg, does
    > anyone want to offer revised advice about keeping your camera dry, or the
    > best clothing to wear during one of these cruises?

    I doubt if you're allowed to bring anything with you into the lifeboats
    when your ship is sinking, though I'd probably have at least popped out
    my memory cards. Presumably the passengers will be reimbursed for all
    their lost equipment.

    Based on the type of cruise that this was, you can be sure that
    virtually every passenger had some very good binoculars, and an SLR with
    multiple lenses (unless Navas and our friendly name-changing troll were
    on the ship, then there would be two passengers trying to get wildlife
    photos with a P&S).

    Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    When I was in Alaska (not on a cruise), we took the all-day Kenai Fjords
    National Park boat tour out to the glaciers, in the pouring rain. It's
    really rain that you have to worry about, and that applies on land or at
    sea. This was at a time when digital SLRs were just becoming popular to
    non-pros, and one guy had a 10D along. Most people were using film SLRs,
    as point and shoot cameras were pretty worthless for photographing
    wildlife due to the need for long telephoto lenses. I was really glad
    that I brought along a tripod.

    The big problem with this sinking incident was that when it became clear
    that the ship had to be evacuated, several of the passengers didn't want
    to leave as they had just been served their second lobster at dinner.
    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Marty Fremen <> wrote in

    http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Survival-Gear/Dry-Bags/

    --
    Louis
    Louis des Tombe, Nov 25, 2007
  4. Marty Fremen

    m II Guest

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ wrote:

    > Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    > disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    > allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    > always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    Don't laugh. The extra weight of a DSLR has also been proven to increase
    the statistical likelihood of an airplane coming down. Society, as a
    whole, can not tolerate the menace to humanity presented by these
    behemoths any farther.

    How long must we endure the irresponsibility of these misanthropic DSLR
    owning monsters?

    mike (now shamefully hiding his Pentax ist*D and K100d in the sub basement)
    m II, Nov 25, 2007
  5. m II wrote:

    > Don't laugh. The extra weight of a DSLR has also been proven to increase
    > the statistical likelihood of an airplane coming down. Society, as a
    > whole, can not tolerate the menace to humanity presented by these
    > behemoths any farther.
    >
    > How long must we endure the irresponsibility of these misanthropic DSLR
    > owning monsters?

    Apparently for quite a while, as D-SLR sales are booming, while P&S
    sales are stagnant.

    One amusing thing is that when I'm out hiking or at an event where you
    have to be in the back and can't use flash, I'm the one that people are
    asking to e-mail photos to them that they couldn't get. Wildlife shots
    are especially suited to D-SLRs. I was at the Pinnacles National
    Monument a couple of months ago, and the rare California Condors were
    flying around. No way to get a shot of them without a D-SLR and a long
    telephoto.
    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 25, 2007
  6. Marty Fremen

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <4748b31e$0$79860$>, SMS ???? ?
    says...

    > Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    > disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    > allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    > always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    The problem is that these DSLRs, especially the ones for semi-
    professional or professional use are made unnecessarily bulky and heavy,
    perhaps to appeal to the ego of the pro, who does not want to be
    "outsized" at an event and feels the need to show everybody he is the
    top dog.
    My wife has a very compact and lightweight film SLR, so it should be
    possible to make even full-frame DSLRs in a compact size.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 25, 2007
  7. Marty Fremen

    m II Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <4748b31e$0$79860$>, SMS ???? ?
    > says...
    >
    >> Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    >> disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    >> allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    >> always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    > The problem is that these DSLRs, especially the ones for semi-
    > professional or professional use are made unnecessarily bulky and heavy,
    > perhaps to appeal to the ego of the pro, who does not want to be
    > "outsized" at an event and feels the need to show everybody he is the
    > top dog.
    > My wife has a very compact and lightweight film SLR, so it should be
    > possible to make even full-frame DSLRs in a compact size.

    The Pentax series is as small as I'd ever want. The K100d has a nice AA
    battery compartment that helps to give a gripping bulge (for lack of a
    better term).

    An optical viewfinder with attendant mirror assembly combined with the
    backwards compatible lens mount makes sizing of the body what it is.

    When people are buying battery grips in order to ENLARGE the size of a
    camera body, I'd say the body is already getting too small. No further
    reduction is necessary.

    mike
    m II, Nov 25, 2007
  8. Marty Fremen

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <4749a314$0$79941$>, SMS ???? ?
    says...

    > Apparently for quite a while, as D-SLR sales are booming, while P&S
    > sales are stagnant.

    It seems that for each DSLR sold 20 P&S are sold. Which sales are
    booming?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 25, 2007
  9. Alfred Molon wrote:

    > My wife has a very compact and lightweight film SLR, so it should be
    > possible to make even full-frame DSLRs in a compact size.

    There are some fairy small digital SLRs available. Olympus has some, but
    they're the dreaded 4/3 system, and the image quality isn't that great
    due to the small sensor, but certainly better than a P&S with the tiny
    sensors.

    Because of the nature of the digital camera sensor, and how the light
    must hit it, it's not possible to make a full frame compact D-SLR. It's
    not as simple as substituting a digital sensor for film.
    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 25, 2007
  10. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <4749a314$0$79941$>, SMS ???? ?
    > says...
    >
    >> Apparently for quite a while, as D-SLR sales are booming, while P&S
    >> sales are stagnant.

    > It seems that for each DSLR sold 20 P&S are sold. Which sales are
    > booming?

    I'm talking about the sales increases. P&S sales are not going up by
    much, and with falling ASPs for P&S models, revenue is actually down for
    some manufacturers. D-SLR sales are booming due to falling prices, and
    consumers becoming more educated as to the advantages of D-SLRs over
    point and shoot models.
    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 25, 2007
  11. Marty Fremen

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 24, 5:41 pm, Marty Fremen <> wrote:
    > With the recent sinking of an Antarctic cruise ship by an iceberg, does
    > anyone want to offer revised advice about keeping your camera dry, or the
    > best clothing to wear during one of these cruises?

    I think it was God's way of saying, "ENOUGH penguin photos."
    Rich, Nov 25, 2007
  12. Marty Fremen

    KGB Guest

    >Wildlife shots
    >are especially suited to D-SLRs. I was at the Pinnacles National
    >Monument a couple of months ago, and the rare California Condors were
    >flying around. No way to get a shot of them without a D-SLR and a long
    >telephoto.

    Hi

    I have some superb shots of Andean Condors in Peru taken with a simple
    point and shoot - you can literally see the whites of their eyes -
    well, more of a dirty yellow colour in reality, but that could be the
    camera or the cheap printer!!! 8^)

    I am actually going on an Antarctic trip in early January -
    fortunately not booked on the MV Explorer. In preparation for the
    trip, I decided to treat myself to a D-SLR and a fairly long lens, so
    bought it mail order. When it arrived and after playing with it for
    some time, I decided that it just wasn't practical - too bulky and too
    awkward changing lenses in a bobbing zodiac so have decided to take my
    trusty point and shoot instead; it has served me well on previous
    "exotic" holidays. Plus it has the (as far as I personally am
    concerned) advantage of taking bog-standard AA batteries, which means
    I can cut down on the number of different batteries and chargers I
    take, as everything electrical I intend taking all use the same type
    of batteries. And potentially of course, I have plenty of spare
    batteries available for the camera (I just rob my toothbrush or
    whatever).

    Regards

    KGB
    KGB, Nov 25, 2007
  13. Marty Fremen

    KGB Guest

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:12:03 GMT, m II <> wrote:

    >SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ wrote:
    >
    >> Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    >> disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    >> allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    >> always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    >Don't laugh. The extra weight of a DSLR has also been proven to increase
    >the statistical likelihood of an airplane coming down.

    <SNIP>

    Hi

    Quite seriously; when I was in the Merchant Navy, it was accepted that
    if you ever had to take to a (motorised) lifeboat, the first thing you
    did when it ran out of fuel was to unbolt the engine and throw it
    overboard to lighten the lifeboat.

    Fortunately, I never had to find out how easy it was to remove an
    engine in that situation.

    Regards
    KGB
    KGB, Nov 25, 2007
  14. Marty Fremen

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <4749a874$0$79862$>, SMS ???? ?
    says...

    > There are some fairy small digital SLRs available. Olympus has some, but
    > they're the dreaded 4/3 system, and the image quality isn't that great
    > due to the small sensor, but certainly better than a P&S with the tiny
    > sensors.

    There is nothing dreaded about the 4/3 system and the image quality does
    not suffer. But do we have really to restart this discussion?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 25, 2007
  15. Marty Fremen

    Ralph Waysen Guest

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:32:06 -0800, SMS ???• ? <>
    wrote:

    >m II wrote:
    >
    >> Don't laugh. The extra weight of a DSLR has also been proven to increase
    >> the statistical likelihood of an airplane coming down. Society, as a
    >> whole, can not tolerate the menace to humanity presented by these
    >> behemoths any farther.
    >>
    >> How long must we endure the irresponsibility of these misanthropic DSLR
    >> owning monsters?

    >Apparently for quite a while, as D-SLR sales are booming, while P&S
    >sales are stagnant.

    You might want to get your facts straight instead of appearing to be the fool
    again. Oh, that's right, you can't help it. It's impossible for you to be
    something that you are not. No matter how much you want to try to pretend to be
    a photographer, you've proved it time and time again that the most you know
    about the subject is what you can read online about it. You might want to go
    back and read some reputable trend reports again.

    >One amusing thing is that when I'm out hiking or at an event where you
    >have to be in the back and can't use flash

    YOU? Hike? That's a laugh!

    While you're pretending to be in the back of events (you never get out of your
    house), I'm up front at REAL events, not using flash.

    >, I'm the one that people are
    >asking to e-mail photos to them that they couldn't get.

    For the sake of your delusion I'll play along. You can't hear how loud that
    imaginary camera is so you don't realize what you are saying. But that's okay,
    I'll play along anyway.

    The only reason that all these (imaginary) people came to you was because your
    camera made enough noise to wake the dead. They all HEARD you taking photos
    throughout the auditorium. Plus, they always flock to the rank amateurs looking
    for attention. They know that they can be convinced to send them FREE photos,
    their egos need severe stroking.

    >Wildlife shots
    >are especially suited to D-SLRs. I was at the Pinnacles National
    >Monument a couple of months ago, and the rare California Condors were
    >flying around. No way to get a shot of them without a D-SLR and a long
    >telephoto.

    Good thing that these (imaginary) condors were flying high above you. If they
    were nearby the sound of your DSLR would have scared them off. Or maybe they
    were nearby at first and you left out the fact that you had to get photos of
    them as they were trying to fly away from you. That's the more believable
    scenario. Of course, you're not aware of any of this because that imaginary
    camera you have doesn't make any noise. (It's just the voices drowning it out.)

    What a shame that you aren't talented enough to get shots like that with any
    camera with a good zoom lens on it. But then, rank amateurs are like that. (As
    well as those who have never held any real cameras in their whole life.)
    ..
    Ralph Waysen, Nov 25, 2007
  16. On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:14:45 +0100, Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    >In article <4749a874$0$79862$>, SMS ???? ?
    >says...
    >
    >> There are some fairy small digital SLRs available. Olympus has some, but
    >> they're the dreaded 4/3 system, and the image quality isn't that great
    >> due to the small sensor, but certainly better than a P&S with the tiny
    >> sensors.

    >There is nothing dreaded about the 4/3 system and the image quality does
    >not suffer. But do we have really to restart this discussion?

    You're being trolled by a resident troll.

    He doesn't even own a camera.
    NewsgroupAdmin, Nov 25, 2007
  17. On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:28:13 -0800, SMS ???• ?
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Based on the type of cruise that this was, you can be sure that
    >virtually every passenger had some very good binoculars, and an SLR with
    >multiple lenses (unless Navas and our friendly name-changing troll were
    >on the ship, then there would be two passengers trying to get wildlife
    >photos with a P&S).
    >
    >Our two resident trolls will probably chime in with, "see, a
    >disadvantage of a D-SLR is that if your on sinking ship you won't be
    >allowed to take your camera gear with you into the lifeboat, but you can
    >always sneak in a small point and shoot."

    [snip]

    Image tank and flash cards in a pocket. Easy!

    5 years ago I got mugged by four guys in Rio de Janeiro. They took
    most of my stuff (watch, money, airline tickets, etc) but what they
    couldn't pry out of my bruised, battered and bleeding hands was my
    camera. No way were they gonna take that! So I resisted until help
    eventually arrived (and the dudes had already taken most of
    everything else so they weren't too disappointed at not getting my
    camera). Later that evening there was a police bust with armed police
    capturing the dudes, but that's a different story...

    See pictures here of that trip:
    http://www.metalvortex.com/myphotos/south_america/index.htm

    So, ya, I'll make some immense efforts to ensure that my precious
    images are saved from a sinking.

    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Website : www.metalvortex.com
    Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

    Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Nov 26, 2007
  18. In article <>, real-address-
    says...

    > So, ya, I'll make some immense efforts to ensure that my precious
    > images are saved from a sinking.

    Hi Kulvinder,

    Just glad to hear that you weren't on the recent trip..

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Nov 26, 2007
  19. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:43:05 -0000, Tony Gartshore
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Hi Kulvinder,
    >
    >Just glad to hear that you weren't on the recent trip..

    Hey, Tony, good to see you around.

    At least the safety procedures and rescue worked. Also, perhaps most
    of the passengers were unusually healthy compared to other cruises:

    http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9623

    I'm off in three weeks time so am getting excited. Hope to see
    icebergs much bigger than these:

    http://www.metalvortex.com/myphotos/south_america_2006/pages/lago_onelli_icebergs_2.htm
    http://www.metalvortex.com/myphotos/south_america_2006/pages/lago_argentino_iceberg_2.htm

    Got waterproof backpack (lined with water proof bags), Gore-Tex
    clothes and a bunch of fleeces, long-johns, etc for the cold. About
    to buy a bunch of disposable hand-warmers which I'll use for my own
    warmth and also to keep the batteries at a usable temperature. I
    think that the wind-chill will be the greatest factor here. Only 15kg
    luggage allowance on the domestic flight in Argentina so that is
    going to be a challenge. All photo gear will be carry-on though. Not
    sure whether to take a flash unit...the photographic guidebook for
    Antarctica recommends its use but it's just another thing to carry.

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Nov 26, 2007
  20. In article <>, real-address-
    says...
    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:43:05 -0000, Tony Gartshore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >Hi Kulvinder,
    > >
    > >Just glad to hear that you weren't on the recent trip..
    > >

    > Hey, Tony, good to see you around.
    >
    > At least the safety procedures and rescue worked. Also, perhaps most
    > of the passengers were unusually healthy compared to other cruises:

    Indeed, everything seemed to be handled in very good order..

    > I'm off in three weeks time so am getting excited. Hope to see
    > icebergs much bigger than these:

    Planning a trip to Namibia for next year, hoping to see none !

    > Got waterproof backpack (lined with water proof bags), Gore-Tex
    > clothes and a bunch of fleeces, long-johns, etc for the cold. About
    > to buy a bunch of disposable hand-warmers which I'll use for my own
    > warmth and also to keep the batteries at a usable temperature. I
    > think that the wind-chill will be the greatest factor here. Only 15kg
    > luggage allowance on the domestic flight in Argentina so that is
    > going to be a challenge. All photo gear will be carry-on though. Not
    > sure whether to take a flash unit...the photographic guidebook for
    > Antarctica recommends its use but it's just another thing to carry.

    Lugged a 350D, 24-104L, 100-400L and a Sigma 10-20mm along with a Canon
    580 flash around Aus for six weeks earlier this year in a Lowpro
    Slingshot.. All fitted in quite nicely and I found it comfortable to
    wear..

    Tripod had to be checked in though..

    Hope it all goes well and you have a great time..

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Nov 26, 2007