    to render my validation key as invalid when I try to install
    XP Pro and validate using the original key on my tower case?

    Les
    les, Mar 9, 2008

  2. les

    Neil Green Guest

    "les" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello....
    > In my previous thread about validation issues, and
    > my
    > problem with my new used IBM tower, I failed to
    > mention
    > that this was originally configured with a SCSI boot
    > drive,
    > and I defaulted to IDE instead. Now would that be
    > enough
    > to render my validation key as invalid when I try to
    > install
    > XP Pro and validate using the original key on my
    > tower case?
    >
    > Les

    No.
    As has been explained the version of XP Pro that you
    have is a Gateway OEM version.
    Sometimes OEM CD's will install OK on other machines,
    other times they won't.
    In your case the software probably uses a value stored
    in the OEM (Gateway) BIOS, so it will be very
    difficult to install on the IBM.
    Not impossible, but very difficult.
    Neil Green, Mar 9, 2008

  3. les

    Baron Guest

    Neil Green wrote:

    > "les" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello....
    >> In my previous thread about validation issues, and
    >> my
    >> problem with my new used IBM tower, I failed to
    >> mention
    >> that this was originally configured with a SCSI boot
    >> drive,
    >> and I defaulted to IDE instead. Now would that be
    >> enough
    >> to render my validation key as invalid when I try to
    >> install
    >> XP Pro and validate using the original key on my
    >> tower case?
    >>
    >> Les

    > No.
    > As has been explained the version of XP Pro that you
    > have is a Gateway OEM version.
    > Sometimes OEM CD's will install OK on other machines,
    > other times they won't.
    > In your case the software probably uses a value stored
    > in the OEM (Gateway) BIOS, so it will be very
    > difficult to install on the IBM.
    > Not impossible, but very difficult.

    As Neil says, the hard disk type won't make any difference to validation
    of XP. Although the SCSI drive may be much faster than the IDE one.
    If you stayed with SCSI you may need to find the correct drivers for
    the controller though.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Mar 9, 2008
  4. No.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 9, 2008
  5. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "les" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello....
    >> In my previous thread about validation issues, and my
    >> problem with my new used IBM tower, I failed to mention
    >> that this was originally configured with a SCSI boot drive,
    >> and I defaulted to IDE instead. Now would that be enough
    >> to render my validation key as invalid when I try to install
    >> XP Pro and validate using the original key on my tower case?
    >>
    >> Les

    > No.
    > As has been explained the version of XP Pro that you have is a Gateway OEM
    > version.
    > Sometimes OEM CD's will install OK on other machines, other times they
    > won't.
    > In your case the software probably uses a value stored in the OEM
    > (Gateway) BIOS, so it will be very difficult to install on the IBM.
    > Not impossible, but very difficult.

    No matter what, he must use the correct product key for the OS CD he is
    using.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 9, 2008
  6. les

    Neil Green Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "les" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello....
    >>> In my previous thread about validation issues, and
    >>> my
    >>> problem with my new used IBM tower, I failed to
    >>> mention
    >>> that this was originally configured with a SCSI
    >>> boot drive,
    >>> and I defaulted to IDE instead. Now would that be
    >>> enough
    >>> to render my validation key as invalid when I try
    >>> to install
    >>> XP Pro and validate using the original key on my
    >>> tower case?
    >>>
    >>> Les

    >> No.
    >> As has been explained the version of XP Pro that
    >> you have is a Gateway OEM version.
    >> Sometimes OEM CD's will install OK on other
    >> machines, other times they won't.
    >> In your case the software probably uses a value
    >> stored in the OEM (Gateway) BIOS, so it will be
    >> very difficult to install on the IBM.
    >> Not impossible, but very difficult.
    >>

    > No matter what, he must use the correct product key
    > for the OS CD he is using.

    That's not the case Jeff.
    A non OEM version of Windows XP Pro can be installed
    with any of thousands (maybe millions) of keys, legal
    or otherwise.
    Neil Green, Mar 9, 2008
  7. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Neil Green" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "les" <> wrote in message

    >>> No.
    >>> As has been explained the version of XP Pro that you have is a Gateway
    >>> OEM version.
    >>> Sometimes OEM CD's will install OK on other machines, other times they
    >>> won't.
    >>> In your case the software probably uses a value stored in the OEM
    >>> (Gateway) BIOS, so it will be very difficult to install on the IBM.
    >>> Not impossible, but very difficult.
    >>>

    >> No matter what, he must use the correct product key for the OS CD he is
    >> using.

    > That's not the case Jeff.
    > A non OEM version of Windows XP Pro can be installed with any of thousands
    > (maybe millions) of keys, legal or otherwise.

    I said that wrong, he has to use a WinXP Pro key.

    Send him a key so he can move on.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 9, 2008
  8. les

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >> message news:eHVAj.4601$hr3.1083@trnddc04...
    >>>
    >>> "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> No matter what, he must use the correct product
    >>> key for the OS CD he is using.

    >> That's not the case Jeff.
    >> A non OEM version of Windows XP Pro can be
    >> installed with any of thousands (maybe millions) of
    >> keys, legal or otherwise.
    >>

    > I said that wrong, he has to use a WinXP Pro key.
    >
    > Send him a key so he can move on.

    He has an OEM disk, so a key would be useless.
    It seems to me he has three choices.
    He can purchase a legal copy of XP.
    He can use an illegal copy.
    He can run Linux and a Windows emulator.
    Neil Green, Mar 9, 2008
  9. les

    chrisv Guest

    Neil Green wrote:
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:eHVAj.4601$hr3.1083@trnddc04...

    >>> That's not the case Jeff.
    >>> A non OEM version of Windows XP Pro can be
    >>> installed with any of thousands (maybe millions) of
    >>> keys, legal or otherwise.
    >>>

    >> I said that wrong, he has to use a WinXP Pro key.
    >>
    >> Send him a key so he can move on.

    > He has an OEM disk, so a key would be useless.

    Bullshit.

    > It seems to me he has three choices.
    > He can purchase a legal copy of XP.
    > He can use an illegal copy.
    > He can run Linux and a Windows emulator.

    Those are ridiculous choices. It depends on what kind of an OEM disk he has,
    and when it was last activated.
    chrisv, Mar 10, 2008
  10. les

    Neil Green Guest

    "chrisv" <> wrote in message
    > Neil Green wrote:
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>>
    >>> "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> I said that wrong, he has to use a WinXP Pro key.
    >>>
    >>> Send him a key so he can move on.

    >> He has an OEM disk, so a key would be useless.

    > Bullshit.

    Really?

    >> It seems to me he has three choices.
    >> He can purchase a legal copy of XP.
    >> He can use an illegal copy.
    >> He can run Linux and a Windows emulator.

    > Those are ridiculous choices. It depends on what
    > kind of an OEM disk he has, and when it was last
    > activated.

    It's from a Gateway laptop, no need to activate as it
    reads from the BIOS, but won't install on an IBM
    machine.
    Read the earlier thread Einstein.
    Neil Green, Mar 10, 2008
  11. les

    Baron Guest

    Neil Green wrote:

    > "chrisv" <> wrote in message
    >> Neil Green wrote:
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> He has an OEM disk, so a key would be useless.

    >> Bullshit.

    > Really?
    >

    >>> It seems to me he has three choices.
    >>> He can purchase a legal copy of XP.
    >>> He can use an illegal copy.
    >>> He can run Linux and a Windows emulator.

    >> Those are ridiculous choices. It depends on what
    >> kind of an OEM disk he has, and when it was last
    >> activated.

    > It's from a Gateway laptop, no need to activate as it
    > reads from the BIOS, but won't install on an IBM
    > machine.
    > Read the earlier thread Einstein.

    Gentlemen, the OP has a legitimate COA attached to the machine !
    All he needs is the correct XP-Pro CD.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.