    different.

    This makes it hard for AV programs to detect and remove. They effectively
    need to de-crypt the virus each time.

    steve, Jan 27, 2004

  2. In article <LVlRb.19120$>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >This one looks pretty bad.

    Sounds like the one that's been deluging me all day today. I'm immune,
    of course (being a Mac user), but that doesn't stop all these infected
    machines trying to send me the virus, plus of course the bounces from
    sites that have been sent the virus purporting to come from my domain.
    I'm getting a message about once every 5 minutes!

    Interesting that it seems to be making up e-mail addresses at random,
    e.g. fred@<domain>, dave@<domain>, instead of scanning infected machines
    for addresses.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Interesting that it seems to be making up e-mail addresses at random,
    > e.g. fred@<domain>, dave@<domain>, instead of scanning infected machines
    > for addresses.

    it does both

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 27, 2004
  4. steve

    Peter Ashby Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    > This one looks pretty bad.
    >
    > Details here:
    >
    > http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=3614506
    >
    > It uses a polymorphic encrypted key so that each time it starts up it looks
    > different.
    >
    > This makes it hard for AV programs to detect and remove. They effectively
    > need to de-crypt the virus each time.

    Time to buy a Mac then. I note that yesterday Bill Gates promised to end
    spam. The same Bill Gates who presided over all the security holes and
    default settings that worms like this exploit.

    Peter

    Peter Ashby, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Peter Ashby wrote:
    > Time to buy a Mac then. I note that yesterday Bill Gates promised to end
    > spam. The same Bill Gates who presided over all the security holes and
    > default settings that worms like this exploit.

    Which one doyou mean?
    the "dumb users who don't know how to change settings" worm or the
    "pebkac" worm?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 27, 2004
  6. steve

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:18:52 +0000, Peter Ashby wrote:

    > Time to buy a Mac then. I note that yesterday Bill Gates promised to end
    > spam. The same Bill Gates who presided over all the security holes and
    > default settings that worms like this exploit.

    Bill Gates will say anything which will minimise the damage to Micro$oft's
    position.

    In that respect he is a consummate politician and marketer.

    As usual Micro$oft and it's representatives cannot be trusted.

    Lennier

    --
    Newsman - on CD piracy: "Entertainment meets Geekery meets Vengeance. It's
    unstoppable. A match made in Heaven."

    Lennier, Jan 27, 2004
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Peter Ashby wrote:

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> This one looks pretty bad.
    >>
    >> Details here:
    >>
    >> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=3614506
    >>
    >> It uses a polymorphic encrypted key so that each time it starts up it
    >> looks different.
    >>
    >> This makes it hard for AV programs to detect and remove. They effectively
    >> need to de-crypt the virus each time.

    > Time to buy a Mac then. I note that yesterday Bill Gates promised to end
    > spam. The same Bill Gates who presided over all the security holes and
    > default settings that worms like this exploit.
    >
    > Peter

    He promised to fix those, too.

    How many years ago was that now?

    Several......