Another windows networking question:

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Hi All,

    I've got two WinXP machines here, connected to a switch. One machine is
    XPPro, the other is XPHome. Both are SP2. Also connected is an SDSL router
    that is the DHCP server for the network.

    My issue is that the XPHome machine does not respond to the XPPro machine.
    I.e it does not return pings, and it is not browsable, although the XPPro
    machine knows it is on the network so I guess the XPHome machine is
    broadcasting it's presence.

    There is no problem in the reverse direction: the XPHome machine pings the
    XPPro machine and gets echoes, and can browse shares on the XPPro machine.

    It's not SP2 - I had the same issue before upgrading from SP1. I've made
    sure there are no firewalls running and that didn't help. I also ensured
    that the tcpip and windows networking settings are the same on both
    machines.

    Any ideas, anyone?

    TIA,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Sep 14, 2004

  2. JohnO

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:46:18 +1200, JohnO wrote:

    > It's not SP2 - I had the same issue before upgrading from SP1. I've made
    > sure there are no firewalls running and that didn't help. I also ensured
    > that the tcpip and windows networking settings are the same on both
    > machines.

    Are you absolutely sure the subnet masks are identical?

    I've been encountered that before with subnet masks that appeared the
    same at first glance, and it only showed up as baffling unidirectional
    problems.

    Other than that, have you tried them with just a crossover cable?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 14, 2004

  3. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:46:18 +1200, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > It's not SP2 - I had the same issue before upgrading from SP1. I've made
    > > sure there are no firewalls running and that didn't help. I also ensured
    > > that the tcpip and windows networking settings are the same on both
    > > machines.

    > Are you absolutely sure the subnet masks are identical?
    >
    > I've been encountered that before with subnet masks that appeared the
    > same at first glance, and it only showed up as baffling unidirectional
    > problems.
    >
    > Other than that, have you tried them with just a crossover cable?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    I will check when I get home - thanks Anton.

    I would expect the subnet mask to be the same though as they are both
    getting their ip from the same local dhcp server.
    JohnO, Sep 14, 2004
  4. JohnO

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:50:37 +1200, JohnO wrote:

    > I would expect the subnet mask to be the same though as they are both
    > getting their ip from the same local dhcp server.

    Oh well, they probably are the same then :)

    Have you checked out what DHCP settings they are getting? eg ipconfig /all

    I assume they are both getting DHCP leases ok? Maybe try manually setting
    up tcp/ip?

    If it doesn't return pings and there are no firewalls set
    up, then it sounds like a fairly low level issue.

    It could be some interaction with the switch, or a half/full duplex issue.

    You could try the crossover cable and/or manually setting the duplex
    settings - try out both half and full duplex.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 14, 2004
  5. In article <KAv1d.2308$>,
    says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got two WinXP machines here, connected to a switch. One machine is
    > XPPro, the other is XPHome. Both are SP2. Also connected is an SDSL router
    > that is the DHCP server for the network.
    >
    > My issue is that the XPHome machine does not respond to the XPPro machine.
    > I.e it does not return pings, and it is not browsable, although the XPPro
    > machine knows it is on the network so I guess the XPHome machine is
    > broadcasting it's presence.
    >
    > There is no problem in the reverse direction: the XPHome machine pings the
    > XPPro machine and gets echoes, and can browse shares on the XPPro machine.
    >
    > It's not SP2 - I had the same issue before upgrading from SP1. I've made
    > sure there are no firewalls running and that didn't help. I also ensured
    > that the tcpip and windows networking settings are the same on both
    > machines.
    >
    > Any ideas, anyone?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    I'd check with the following command that you can renew dhcp leases:
    ipconfig /renew

    Else I'd etup the network ettings for the xp home machine by removing
    all network components in the network control panel, rebooting, and
    adding them back.
    wogers nemesis, Sep 14, 2004
  6. JohnO

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got two WinXP machines here, connected to a switch. One machine is
    > XPPro, the other is XPHome. Both are SP2. Also connected is an SDSL router
    > that is the DHCP server for the network.
    >
    > My issue is that the XPHome machine does not respond to the XPPro machine.
    > I.e it does not return pings, and it is not browsable, although the XPPro
    > machine knows it is on the network so I guess the XPHome machine is
    > broadcasting it's presence.

    Windows Home was crippled so that cheaparse business users didn't go out and
    by it for use in their offices - it allowed MS to keep a price differential
    between Home and Pro. There are a number of negotiation features that stop
    the two from "talking" to each other, and Windows Home "can't" join a domain
    (with the usual caveat that some beard has bound to have achieved this by
    drinking the blood of a bat at midnight, performed penguin incantations and
    slobbered on a keyboard for three nights around the full moon).

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Sep 14, 2004