Another Vista install tip

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jun 30, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Along time, more and more people is moving on to Vista.
    Guess who they call in town when they have a trouble?
    This one took me one hour to solve it.
    I was supposed to be an easy one.
    Vista x64 on an nVidia nForce 550 based mobo, had disks in RAID, IDE DVD was
    just a piece of cake.
    Well... not. After booting off the DVD, Vista would ask for DVD drivers!!!
    Drivers for vanilla IDE?
    WTF?
    I tried every known recipe.
    Flash BIOS, reduce memory speed (they were only 2 gigs!), increase memory
    voltage, disable every non necessary device, unplug everything.
    No dice.
    Until I took a closer look at the DVD IDE flat cable.
    It was an "old" 40 conductor cable as opposed to the newer 80 conductor ones.
    I replaced it, using a very bad looking ugly 80 conductor I had in my junk
    box and that was it.
    No more asking for IDE drivers, smooth install.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 30, 2008

  2. Nice post.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 30, 2008

  3. Yes, I definitely still come across one of those on the rare occasion as
    well - but, hey! isn't it about ten years (or more?) since that stuff was
    'the bees knees'?

    (more, I'd say!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 30, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    More interesting info for our bag of tricks...
    A couple of repair technicians in the city told me they had troubles when
    using those fancy ASUS black IDE cables on non-ASUS motherboards.
    The one I had to dump was a 40 conductor ASUS IDE cable, being used in an
    MSI motherboard.
    They also told me that those problematic cables work flawlessly on ASUS
    motherboards.
    Magic? Hard to believe, uh?
    Maybe it is a subject for Sci-Fi channel.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 30, 2008
  5. One place the crosstalk problem still shows up is when DIY folks migrate an
    old optical drive that has an integrated IDE cable. Those are almost always
    40-pin/40-wire and just won't work with modern hardware because of the much
    higher frequencies.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 30, 2008
  6. But, even if you can make it work (sometimes) you cannot make it do DMA on a
    40-pin connector - that should give it away in an instant? But it doesn't
    always do that, apparently.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 30, 2008
  7. The user generally just reports a symptom, like "when I try to read a cd it
    starts but never finishes" or "I can't find my drive in Computer."

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 30, 2008
  8. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    But it is STILL a 40-pin CONNECTOR. There are 80 wires in the cable, but
    only 40 pins at each end.

    Maybe I could understand this if I were an electrician, but as an
    accountant, I just have to believe. :^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  9. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 01/07/2008 in message
    <> R. C. White wrote:

    >But it is STILL a 40-pin CONNECTOR. There are 80 wires in the cable, but
    >only 40 pins at each end.
    >
    >Maybe I could understand this if I were an electrician, but as an
    >accountant, I just have to believe. :^}

    Have faith :)

    The extra 40 wires are all connected to earth (ground for the Americans)
    and in some magical way damp down spurious emissions thus allowing a
    faster throughput of data, bit like auditors!

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 1, 2008
  10. I don't know, I've always thought the laws of electricity resembled female
    'logic' (no offense, intended) in the way the both of them incorporate this
    strange property called 'Potential', without which the universe wouldn't
    work?

    What were we to do without the Wiki's, here is one that 'might' help us
    along:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

    it has nice pin-out tables to accompany the potentials and perhaps an
    accountant could find some small relation somewhere in there? I'm not sure I
    could - but I rather think it does look a bit 'help-like', doesn't it?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 1, 2008
  11. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeff.

    > faster throughput of data, bit like auditors!

    ;^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  12. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    Thanks for that link. I hope I find time to read it - slowly - soon. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2008
  13. There are still only 40 connectors. There are just additional wires
    interspersed to ground the crosstalk.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2008
  14. Yes, I do confess I really had not paid attention to that, but assumed
    everybody was talking about the cabling (wires).

    R.C. and the wiki both made me see the light. With the number of flat cables
    lying about in drawers everywhere, it is not a mystery that a number of them
    sooner or later happens to be installed where they shouldn't be. But I still
    think that the fact that it will not run DMA should be a give-away. That is
    like pulling the brakes on every operation.

    Tony Sperling, Jul 2, 2008
  15. I agree. It should tip off the interference, but if a naive user doesn't
    know beans about hardware stuff then the symptom makes the user think it is
    Vista because that is what he is interacting with. A common complaint is
    that it is taking hours to try to copy something and it never completes
    successfully.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2008