    causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    time).

    digger
    digger odell, Sep 26, 2010

  2. digger odell

    Mike Easter Guest

    digger odell wrote:
    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > in start-up.
    >
    > In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > time).

    If I were having that much trouble, I would make sure that my data was
    backed up properly and reinstall my OS.

    Your (attempt at) repair work is taking more time and energy and
    frustration than it would be to reinstall, especially if you have any
    experience doing that.

    If your registry/install has become 'destabilized' over time from past
    problems as you might be describing, then restoring to some previous
    point will just be restoring a flawed system. It sounds to me like this
    problem didn't just now start with the browser update.

    An IE8/IE9 update is a 'big deal'. If the system is (already) unstable,
    then it breaks. Who wants to spend a lot of time and energy trying to go
    back to an already/previously unstable system?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2010

  3. digger odell

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2010 08:47 PM, digger odell wrote:
    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > in start-up.
    >
    > In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > time).
    >
    > digger

    Bummer

    I'd use Opera, Firefox or Chrome

    and say the hell with it

    There is a small chance that System Restore will get you going...but who
    knows .it may make things worse
    philo, Sep 26, 2010
  4. digger odell

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2010 08:54 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
    > digger odell wrote:
    >> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >> installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >> programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >> Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    >> tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >> detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    >> that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    >> in start-up.
    >>
    >> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    >> causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    >> time).

    > If I were having that much trouble, I would make sure that my data was
    > backed up properly and reinstall my OS.
    >
    > Your (attempt at) repair work is taking more time and energy and
    > frustration than it would be to reinstall, especially if you have any
    > experience doing that.
    >
    > If your registry/install has become 'destabilized' over time from past
    > problems as you might be describing, then restoring to some previous
    > point will just be restoring a flawed system. It sounds to me like this
    > problem didn't just now start with the browser update.
    >
    > An IE8/IE9 update is a 'big deal'. If the system is (already) unstable,
    > then it breaks. Who wants to spend a lot of time and energy trying to go
    > back to an already/previously unstable system?

    You may very well be right there

    but if i was going to do a clean install...
    I'd not use Vista again

    For Windows users...Win7 would be the way to go
    philo, Sep 26, 2010
  5. digger odell

    chuckcar Guest

    digger odell <> wrote in

    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation).

    *What* exactly "timed out"? Did you get a message saying the program
    failed? did you get a message from the installer *saying* it had given
    up trying to download the rest? Or alternatively did you just think
    nothing was happening and turn off the computer. That last is the worst,
    because not only do you have it partially installed using disk space,
    you've also corrupted your windows installation.

    > Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.

    So it appeared in add/remove programs even though it didn't finish
    installing?

    Did you try just removing the directory it installed to?

    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8.

    Again *what* was the problem? we *need* to know *something*.

    > Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected.

    Exactly *what* did it say?

    > Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft

    I've never heard of the product. Where did you find it (exactly)?
    but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > in start-up.
    >
    > In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > time).

    What exact link did you get IE 9 from? Did you ever get any error messages
    you *don't* mention above and give the exact text of each please.

    You *can* repair any installation of IE on a computer (barring the one that
    come with it) by going partway through the installation of Internet Explorer X
    and internet tools in add/remove programs. You click uninstall and then choose
    "repair" and click Ok. If you did the default installation, it can repair
    it. If it finds a problem, uninstall and repair the earlier version. The version
    you get with XP you repair by running sfc and scanning for altered files.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  6. digger odell

    Tony Guest

    Actually Dan C usually gives that advice but in this case it certainly makes more
    sense than chuckcar's lame advice. Also read chuckcar's mention of the word "we". The
    word should be your as it's his computer not his and chuck's computer.

    philo wrote:

    > On 09/25/2010 09:07 PM, chuckcar wrote:
    > > digger odell<> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > >> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > >> installation).

    > > *What* exactly "timed out"? Did you get a message saying the program
    > > failed? did you get a message from the installer *saying* it had given
    > > up trying to download the rest? Or alternatively did you just think
    > > nothing was happening and turn off the computer. That last is the worst,
    > > because not only do you have it partially installed using disk space,
    > > you've also corrupted your windows installation.
    > >

    > WTF:
    >
    > anytime someone has even the slightest problem you tell them to format
    > their drive...
    >
    > now here is some guy with Vista...
    > finally a *real* reason to format the drive
    >
    > sheesh
    >
    > you are trying to help him solve the problem
    >
    > aargh (g)
    >
    > >> Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > >> programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.

    > > So it appeared in add/remove programs even though it didn't finish
    > > installing?
    > >
    > > Did you try just removing the directory it installed to?
    > >
    > >> Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8.

    > > Again *what* was the problem? we *need* to know *something*.
    > >
    > >> Then
    > >> tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > >> detected.

    > > Exactly *what* did it say?
    > >
    > >> Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft

    > > I've never heard of the product. Where did you find it (exactly)?
    > > but
    > >> that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > >> in start-up.
    > >>
    > >> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > >> causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > >> time).
    > >>

    > > What exact link did you get IE 9 from? Did you ever get any error messages
    > > you *don't* mention above and give the exact text of each please.
    > >
    > > You *can* repair any installation of IE on a computer (barring the one that
    > > come with it) by going partway through the installation of Internet Explorer X
    > > and internet tools in add/remove programs. You click uninstall and then choose
    > > "repair" and click Ok. If you did the default installation, it can repair
    > > it. If it finds a problem, uninstall and repair the earlier version. The version
    > > you get with XP you repair by running sfc and scanning for altered files.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the
    job for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm
    of understandability

    Tony, Sep 26, 2010
  7. digger odell

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> digger odell wrote:

    >>> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    >>> causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    >>> time).

    >> If I were having that much trouble, I would make sure that my data was
    >> backed up properly and reinstall my OS.

    > You may very well be right there
    >
    > but if i was going to do a clean install...
    > I'd not use Vista again
    >
    > For Windows users...Win7 would be the way to go

    I think these are the regular retail upgrade prices for 3 Win7 versions:

    Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate retail: $120, $200, $220
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

    One would need to shop around and see if they could get a better deal.

    Alternatively, as long as one is twiddling with blasting off the Vista
    and reinstalling, they could also install a linux distro and see how
    they liked it. It certainly isn't as prone to the kind of
    destabilization that the OP has experienced.

    If his destabilization has occurred because of malware infestations and
    sanitizations and reinfestation and resanitization, maybe he would be
    better off changing his OS.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2010
  8. digger odell

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:47:28 -0700, digger odell wrote:

    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software in
    > start-up.
    >
    > In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > time).

    What does the word "beta" mean to you, in regards to software...?

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet refused to give him some Pooh-tang.
    Dan C, Sep 26, 2010
  9. digger odell

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > On 09/25/2010 09:07 PM, chuckcar wrote:
    >> digger odell<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >>> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >>> installation).

    >> *What* exactly "timed out"? Did you get a message saying the program
    >> failed? did you get a message from the installer *saying* it had
    >> given up trying to download the rest? Or alternatively did you just
    >> think nothing was happening and turn off the computer. That last is
    >> the worst, because not only do you have it partially installed using
    >> disk space, you've also corrupted your windows installation.
    >>

    > WTF:
    >
    > anytime someone has even the slightest problem you tell them to format
    > their drive...

    Show me *once* in the last two months. Should be dead easy if it's true.
    I won't accept anything less than a valid message id. I *said* his
    windows *may* have been corrupted by a power down which he may not have
    even done. On top of which fixing such things is entirely reliable and
    repeatable. I haven't installed the OS on any of my computers for at least
    5 years - Ok I had to reinstall linux when I replaced one hard drive. Everything
    else works fine. And that includes dealing with IE 6 and flash player
    - something that's never going on any of my computers again.

    > now here is some guy with Vista...
    > finally a *real* reason to format the drive

    You know nothing of the kind. The fact is that there's precisely two
    times when you format the drive of a computer with a problem: when the
    drive is replaced and when the partitioning is fouled up - usually by a
    noobie trying do the same and creates no primary partitions and leaves
    no space. It also works when a windows installation has not been
    completed correctly. That last consists of the last time I *did* in any
    other circumstances. And it was warrented - he was working with a
    completely messed up mindows installation from it.

    > sheesh
    >
    > you are trying to help him solve the problem

    Yes, in fact.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  10. digger odell

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > On 09/25/2010 08:47 PM, digger odell wrote:
    >> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >> installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >> programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >> Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8.
    >> Then tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >> detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft
    >> but that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V
    >> software in start-up.
    >>
    >> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know
    >> what's causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75%
    >> of the time).
    >>
    >> digger

    > Bummer
    >
    > I'd use Opera, Firefox or Chrome
    >
    > and say the hell with it
    >

    > There is a small chance that System Restore will get you going...but
    > who knows .it may make things worse

    No, bad. *very* bad. system restore is that *last* thing you try before
    reinstalling windows. It simply would do more damage here. The files can
    be removed (if the transcript above is anywhere near accurate) without
    worrying about anything being installed. That means system restore won't
    have *any* affect on the IE installation and may very well affect damn
    near anything else. Instant online updates spring immediately to mind
    because they're always so damn reliable.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  11. On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:47:28 -0700 (PDT), digger odell
    <> wrote:

    >Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    >tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    >that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    >in start-up.
    >
    >In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    >causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    >time).

    Make sure that a portion of IE9 beta did not install itself. You would
    think that you would just go to Control Panel - Programs & Features, the
    equivalent of the old XP Add/Remove programs, to see if there is any
    indication of it there but, not so.

    Go to wherever you go in Vista to view the Installed Updates and see if
    IE9 beta is there. If so, uninstall it from there if possible.

    IE 9 installs itself as a Windows update, so it would not show up as an
    installed program. I realize you say it was a bad installation but, you
    never know, you may still be able to uninstall it from Installed
    Updates.
    --
    Roº°LL TIDE Roº°LL!
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Sep 26, 2010
  12. On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:30:31 -0500, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤
    <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:47:28 -0700 (PDT), digger odell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >>installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >>installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >>programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >>Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    >>tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >>detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    >>that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    >>in start-up.
    >>
    >>In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    >>causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    >>time).

    You may find some help here:

    http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/283086-remove-ie9.html
    --
    Roº°LL TIDE Roº°LL!
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Sep 26, 2010
  13. digger odell

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2010 09:22 PM, Tony wrote:
    > Actually Dan C usually gives that advice but in this case it certainly makes more
    > sense than chuckcar's lame advice. Also read chuckcar's mention of the word "we". The
    > word should be your as it's his computer not his and chuck's computer.

    You are quite right

    sheesh

    I can't imagine how I got Dan C and Chuckcar confused

    (G)

    philo, Sep 26, 2010
  14. digger odell

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2010 09:42 PM, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:47:28 -0700, digger odell wrote:
    >
    >> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >> installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >> programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >> Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    >> tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >> detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    >> that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software in
    >> start-up.
    >>
    >> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    >> causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    >> time).

    > What does the word "beta" mean to you, in regards to software...?

    I know

    I know the answer this time

    format your drive

    right?
    philo, Sep 26, 2010
  15. digger odell

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2010 09:48 PM, chuckcar wrote:
    > philo<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 09/25/2010 08:47 PM, digger odell wrote:
    >>> Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    >>> installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    >>> installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    >>> programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    >>> Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8.
    >>> Then tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    >>> detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft
    >>> but that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V
    >>> software in start-up.
    >>>
    >>> In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know
    >>> what's causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75%
    >>> of the time).
    >>>
    >>> digger

    >> Bummer
    >>
    >> I'd use Opera, Firefox or Chrome
    >>
    >> and say the hell with it
    >>

    >> There is a small chance that System Restore will get you going...but
    >> who knows .it may make things worse

    > No, bad. *very* bad. system restore is that *last* thing you try before
    > reinstalling windows. It simply would do more damage here. The files can
    > be removed (if the transcript above is anywhere near accurate) without
    > worrying about anything being installed. That means system restore won't
    > have *any* affect on the IE installation and may very well affect damn
    > near anything else. Instant online updates spring immediately to mind
    > because they're always so damn reliable.

    correct
    philo, Sep 26, 2010
  16. digger odell

    Tony Guest

    Chuck couldn't pick the winner of a one horse race. It's impossible he can't
    be correct.

    Tony, Sep 26, 2010
  17. digger odell

    Tony Guest

    Chuck with the advice you give on this newsgroup just how many thousands of people
    had to format their hard drive after taking your brilliant advice?

    Tony, Sep 26, 2010
  18. digger odell <> via news:b8709012-fe69-45fd-bb04-
    :

    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > in start-up.
    >
    > In other words, one headache after another. Would love to know what's
    > causing so many programs to balk when trying to install (75% of the
    > time).
    >
    > digger

    2 things... Microsoft, Vista & Bill Gates is the Devil!

    Also, 2 things you might try:

    1st, right click on your C:\ drive icon in your My Computer equivalent;
    click "Properties" on the context menu, usually at the bottom of the
    drop-down dialog; then the "Tools" tab... Click the "Check Now..."
    button in the "Error-checking" field... Select both options to
    "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for..." You'll get a "Awww, cain't..."
    dialog... (see my first statement, above...) then go ahead and reboot
    to "git 'er done".

    You should get some sort of progress dialog in your boot screen sequence,
    but just give it some time and eventually it will reboot - or tell you
    to do something or another. That might help.

    2nd, you could run the "SFC /scannow" procedure:

    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm

    ( Do *NOT* click on that st00pid link... just read the material )

    Once done, reboot, and you should be all back to good-as-new.

    Stay in skool, don't take drugz and stay away from porn.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
    that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

    Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.
    Bucky Breeder, Sep 26, 2010
  19. digger odell

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 26/09/2010 02:47, digger odell wrote:
    > Thought I would try out the new Internet Explored 9 (beta) but the
    > installation was timed out (with no sign of even a partial
    > installation). Tried everything imaginable -- running all clean up
    > programs (anti-virus and registry) both in regular and safe mode.
    > Decided then to try a clean install but couldn't uninstall IE 8. Then
    > tried to reinstall IE 8 but popup said that a newer version was
    > detected. Next tried to run FIX-IT troubleshooting from Microsoft but
    > that produced a runtime error. Also tried disabling all A/V software
    > in start-up.

    Oh! An easy one. You simply restore from the the security backup you
    made before you installed a Beta release of software. Next time use a
    virtual machine to do your beta testing on, that way you won't hose your
    production machine.
    Desk Rabbit, Sep 27, 2010