    Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
    wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?

    /Haze

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 4, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
    what kind of security are you using?
    are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 4, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Jim Guest

    "Haze" <> wrote in message
    > Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me
    > here.
    > I´ve just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
    > Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything
    > worked
    > like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although
    > the
    > signalstrength is perfect.
    > Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
    > No problem.
    > The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
    > PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
    > working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
    > Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
    > wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
    >
    > /Haze

    I have had very few problems getting my laptop running MCE to connect and
    stay connected. The differences that I see between our two computers are:

    1. Mine is using a built in Intel which is setup for G.
    2. Youea is using a USB adapter which is setup for N.

    Mine works, but yours doesn't. However, a wireless signal is temperamental
    to say the least. I suspect that your problem is caused by variations in
    signal strength.
    By the way, how far is your laptop from your router?

    I suppose I should mention that one time a year or so ago, the laptop could
    not connect to the router even though both were within the same room.
    Eventually, all was well, and there has not been a repeat of the problem.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 4, 2007
  4. Hi Barb

    USB port is 2.0.
    What do you mean by security? I´m using WEP as encryption for the network.
    Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
    The USB-hubs is not using power managment.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 5, 2007
  5. Hi Jim. Thanks for quick reply.

    First, it´s not a laptop i´m having trouble with but that shouldn´t make a
    difference.
    Can´t see how N setup should be a problem since i´m using only components
    setup for N.
    I suspected variations in signalstrength at first but i´ve tried watching
    the monitor and signalstrength never drops below 80% until sudden
    disconnection. Distance from router aproximately 40 feet, nothing but wooden
    walls in the way.

    /Haze

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 5, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    WEP is not secure enough. It can be broken easily and in the amount
    of time it takes to read this message. You need to switch to WPA2 or
    at least WPA.

    What else is plugged into other USB ports on the problem computer?

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:33:04 -0800, Haze
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Barb
    >
    >USB port is 2.0.
    >What do you mean by security? I´m using WEP as encryption for the network.
    >Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
    >The USB-hubs is not using power managment.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
    >> what kind of security are you using?
    >> are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?
    >>
    >> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:31:00 -0800, Haze
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me here.
    >> >I´ve just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
    >> >Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything worked
    >> >like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although the
    >> >signalstrength is perfect.
    >> >Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
    >> >No problem.
    >> >The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
    >> >PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
    >> >working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
    >> >Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
    >> >wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
    >> >
    >> >/Haze

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 5, 2007
  7. Sorry, my mistake - I am using WPA2 :).
    Also plugged in to USB-port is the IR-reciever for the wireless keyboard and
    remote.
    By the way, I´ve noticed another thing that happens just prior to losing
    connection. I get a message saying "connected to Haze Wireless Network
    (unsecured)" in contrast to the message I normally get when connecting
    "connected to Haze Wireless network (secured)" Don´t know if that helps??

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 5, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    did you change the name of the SSID when you set up the router?
    sounds like you may not have and there is another wireless network
    close by with the same SSID.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 5, 2007
  9. I´ve changed the SSID name. Only one other network nearby with a SSID nothing
    like mine.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 5, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    can you check the power management on the wireless one more time?

    -Go to ControlPanel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Expand the
    network devices category and find your wireless adapter.
    Double-click it to get its properties. If there is a power
    management tab, click it. Uncheck the box that says "allow Windows
    to turn off this device when not in use".

    -also, can you please post the text output from

    ipconfig /all

    run from a cmd prompt?

    -how long are the lease times set for on the router for client
    computers?

    -the only other thing I can suggest is if the computer has both
    front and back USB ports, connect the wireless USB to whatever the
    IR is not plugged into.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 5, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Jim Guest

    "Haze" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jim. Thanks for quick reply.
    >
    > First, it´s not a laptop i´m having trouble with but that shouldn´t make a
    > difference.
    > Can´t see how N setup should be a problem since i´m using only components
    > setup for N.
    > I suspected variations in signalstrength at first but i´ve tried watching
    > the monitor and signalstrength never drops below 80% until sudden
    > disconnection. Distance from router aproximately 40 feet, nothing but
    > wooden
    > walls in the way.
    >
    > /Haze

    40 feet away may be marginal. Wooden walls affect the signal strength.
    Perhaps you need a better antenna at both ends.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 5, 2007
  12. Power managment set to "always awake" or something. I´ve also unchecked every
    box "allow windows to turn off..." regarding the USB-hubs.

    This is the text output from IP-config (translated from swedish, please give
    me a hint if there is some translation you don´t understand

    "IP configuration for windows"
    host name: dator-1b40f1481
    primary DNS-suffix:
    Nodetype:Unknown
    IP routing active:yes
    WINS proxy active:no
    Searchlist for DNS-suffix:Belkin

    "Ethernetcard wireless connection 3"

    Connectionspecifik DNS-suffix:Belkin
    Physical adress:00-17-3F-3D-8F-18
    DHCP active:yes
    Autoconfiguration active:yes
    IP-adress:192.168.2.3
    Networm:255.255.255.0
    Standard gateway:192.168.2.1
    DHCP server:192.168.2.1
    DNS-server:192.168.2.1
    Loan start: nov 6 2007
    Loan stops: nov 3 2017

    Lease time set to forever

    USB-port in use is already one in the front (IR-reciever in the back)

    well thats it. Hope this information is useful.

    PS thanks a lot for the time you spend trying to help me out DS

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 6, 2007
  13. I forgot. I ran IPconfig on my other computer (the one with a funktioning
    network) and noticed a diffrence. The other computer has IP-routing active
    set to "no". Should that make a diffrence?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 6, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is there another network adapter in this computer? did you ever turn
    on ICS or bridge the two network adapters?

    can you post the complete text output of ipconfig /all

    without editing it please? include everything, don't trim off
    anything.

    Barb Bowman, Nov 6, 2007
  15. No this computer is currently connected wired

    This is the complete text from the not working PC

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\HTPC>ipconfig/all

    IP-konfiguration för Windows

    Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : dator-1b40f1481
    Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :
    Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd
    IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej
    WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej
    Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : Belkin

    Ethernet-kort Trådlös nätverksanslutning 3:

    Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : Belkin
    Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : N1 Wireless USB Network Adapter #3
    Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-3D-8F-18
    DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja
    Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja
    IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
    Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 6 november 2007 18:39:54
    Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 3 november 2017 18:39:54

    and the working PC

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corporation

    C:\Documents and Settings\Hasse>ipconfig/all

    IP-konfiguration för Windows

    Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : vll-afc46299e47
    Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :
    Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd
    IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej
    WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej
    Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : Belkin

    Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:

    Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : Belkin
    Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking
    Adapter

    Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-24-6C-45
    DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja
    Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja
    IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 6 november 2007 16:44:15
    Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 3 november 2017 16:44:15

    Nothing trimmed. By the way "Ja" means Yes and "Nej" means no in case you´re
    not swedish.

    What is ICS or bridging? (I´m quite a newbie when it comes to computers and
    networking)

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 6, 2007
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what is interesting is that it is labeled USB adapter #3.

    ICS = Internet Connection Sharing (using two adapters) and bridging
    is similar using two adapters. IP Routing can apply using a computer
    as a router (or ICS, etc.) but anyway..

    There are a couple of things to consider -
    1. can you change the channel on the Belkin router? I'm not sure
    what channels are available in Sweden - but changing the channel is
    worth trying. does this make a difference at all? if not--

    2. What wireless keyboard are you using? Can you temporarily unplug
    the USB for the keyboard and use a wired keyboard (or different
    keyboard, perhaps from the other PC?) If you do that and navigate
    the MCE interface with the mouse and keyboard, what happens?

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 6, 2007
  17. Tried every channel from 1-13. Nothing changes. Also tried switching to N
    mode only to avoid interference from any b/g traffic nearby.
    I´ll try another keyboard later.
    Right now I´ve got a new problem that i suspect is selfcaused. I noticed
    that i had an internet gateway activated on both computers. Thought that this
    might be a cause to my previous problems and uninstalled it. Don´t know if
    this is where i screwed up but now my wireless connection tells me "...none
    or limited access..." and i can not conect to internet or the lokal network.
    Looking at the router it seems as i have a connection (the wireless LED is
    clear blue) but the computer is not listed in the DHCP client list. Must have
    screwed up some of the protocols.
    Now considering to reinstall windows and everything from scratch to get a
    clean start =). Or is there something obvious that i easily can correct?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 7, 2007
  18. Nevermind my previous post. Somehow i had established a new wireless network.
    Deleted this and now it works. Also discovered that I had diffrent settings
    in encryption. WPA in the router and WEP in the USB-adapter settings. Now
    it´s the same and I haven´t lost connection for over an hour - new record!!
    Could this be what caused all my previos problems??
    Well let´s hope for the best.
    Though one problem still remains. While connected to the network, the
    live-TV application isn´t running very smoothly (when disconected it works
    like a charm). It´s almost as the CPU get´s overloaded. But can a wireless
    connection really demand so much??
    There´s quite a few other applications running as autostart and perhaps is
    the wireless the "drop that fills the cup". Maybe i should remove some of
    them. Though I´m a bit unsure which ones is necessary to keep.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 7, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    yes, this mismatch could have been the issue.
    as for the other issue, as I suggested, can you please try a wired
    keyboard and mouse to assist in diagnosing this?

    also, how much RAM is in this computer? what video card and how much
    on board video memory?

    Barb Bowman, Nov 7, 2007
  20. Yes sure, i´ll give it a try. I´ll be out of town for a week though but i´ll
    get back to you. But i don´t really understand how a wireless connection
    could screw with live-TV through a keybord and a remote since these are
    pretty inactive when watching TV, part from switching channels.

    Not at home at the moment but I think it´s 1gb or possibly 2gb RAM. The
    videocard is an Nvidia geforce 7600 gs with 256mb video memory. Also using
    some software such as ffdshow to enhance the picture.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=, Nov 7, 2007