Another Telescum Stuff up.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. New Wellington Phone book.

    Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.
    William Brown, Nov 9, 2010

  2. William Brown

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Another Telescum Stuff up.

    On Nov 9, 6:44 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > New Wellington Phone book.
    >
    > Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    I was responsible for ordering a business line two years ago and was
    told it was my responsibility to arrange a listing or it remained
    unlisted by default.
    peterwn, Nov 9, 2010

  3. William Brown

    Peter K Guest

    "William Brown" <> wrote in message

    > New Wellington Phone book.
    >
    > Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    Does anyone use a phone book any more?
    Peter K, Nov 9, 2010
  4. William Brown

    Fred Guest

    "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>
    >> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    Some do apparantely.
    Fred, Nov 9, 2010
  5. William Brown

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > On 9/11/2010 6:44 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>

    >> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.
    >>

    > How is this Telecom's fault Woger? They do not own the phone book.

    "Yellow" seems to run the Auckland phone book now.
    I preferred the old one. Too many bits and pieces now.
    Geopelia, Nov 9, 2010
  6. William Brown

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>
    >> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?
    Geopelia, Nov 9, 2010
  7. William Brown

    Fred Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    >> "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>>
    >>> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    >> Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    > Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

    The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion phone
    books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
    alternatives.
    Fred, Nov 9, 2010
  8. William Brown

    Squiggle Guest

    On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    >>> "William Brown" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    >> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?
    >>

    > The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion phone
    > books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
    > alternatives.

    However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
    you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.
    Squiggle, Nov 9, 2010
  9. William Brown

    Fred Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Peter K" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?
    >>>

    >> The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion
    >> phone
    >> books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
    >> alternatives.
    >>

    > However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
    > you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

    Sounds a real problem - like losing your phone book.
    Fred, Nov 9, 2010
  10. William Brown

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <>
    wrote:

    >"Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >> On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion
    >>> phone
    >>> books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
    >>> alternatives.
    >>>

    >> However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
    >> you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

    >Sounds a real problem

    It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.

    >- like losing your phone book.

    When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?
    -Newsman-, Nov 9, 2010
  11. William Brown

    Peter K Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Peter K" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?
    >>>

    >> The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion
    >> phone
    >> books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
    >> alternatives.

    > However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
    > you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

    I'd go to pieces if my internet connection stopped working. It's been a part
    of my life for as long as I can remember.
    Peter K, Nov 9, 2010
  12. William Brown

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 02:21:03 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"Peter K" <> wrote in message
    >> "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>>
    >>> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

    >> Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    >Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

    Short answer: from whatever is easier, be it phonebook or online.

    Since NZ phonebook only cover our local area, I go online to get
    numbers outside that area and the phonebook for white/yellow pages
    listings. And since the current phonebook doesn't include numbers
    added since the listings for that phonebook closed, even the local
    online listings are more up to date.
    Donchano, Nov 9, 2010
  13. William Brown

    Geopelia Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ibbhsb$hdv$-september.org>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    >> > "William Brown" <> wrote in message

    >> > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    >> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

    > yellowpages.co.nz
    > whitepages.co.nz

    Fine for people with computers. What of all those without one?

    Turning on the computer and getting the website takes longer than just
    looking up a directory. And then you have to write down the number, and
    disconnect if you are on dial up before you can go and phone the number.

    I've got a list of all the numbers I often use by the phone. I suppose most
    people do that, saves time.
    Geopelia, Nov 9, 2010
  14. William Brown

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:03:44 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 9/11/2010 6:44 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> New Wellington Phone book.
    >>

    >> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.
    >>

    >How is this Telecom's fault Woger? They do not own the phone book.

    True. Telecom sold off the Yellow pages a few years ago now.
    Donchano, Nov 9, 2010
  15. William Brown

    Fred Guest

    "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    >>> However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
    >>> you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

    >>Sounds a real problem

    > It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
    >
    >>- like losing your phone book.

    > When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

    When did anyone lose the internet?
    Fred, Nov 9, 2010
  16. On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:33:11 +1300, whoisthis <> wrote:

    >In article <ibbhsb$hdv$-september.org>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter K" <> wrote in message
    >> > "William Brown" <> wrote in message

    >> > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

    >> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

    >yellowpages.co.nz
    >whitepages.co.nz

    Only if you are a Computer nerd..
    William Brown, Nov 9, 2010
  17. William Brown

    Peter K Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >>>Sounds a real problem

    >> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
    >>
    >>>- like losing your phone book.

    >> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

    > When did anyone lose the internet?

    Some months ago, my internet connection was down for about an hour.

    With regards to online phone books and printed phone books: I can't actually
    remember how long it is since I had to use either. I used the online
    whitepages maybe a year ago.... otherwise, all the numbers I need to call
    are written down by my phone, or programmed into it. I've not needed to look
    up a number in a very long time. The last "unknown" number I used was to a
    car mechanic - and he'd helpfully shoved a flyer in my letterbox. Actually I
    also called Whitcoulls about 2 months ago - used the number on their
    website.
    Peter K, Nov 9, 2010
  18. William Brown

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:22:26 +1300, "Fred" <>
    wrote:

    >"-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >>>Sounds a real problem

    >> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
    >>
    >>>- like losing your phone book.

    >> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

    >When did anyone lose the internet?

    Any time they couldn't connect to it.

    Print wins out.
    -Newsman-, Nov 9, 2010
  19. William Brown

    Peter K Guest

    "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:22:26 +1300, "Fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"-Newsman-" <> wrote in message

    >>> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.

    >>> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

    >>When did anyone lose the internet?

    > Any time they couldn't connect to it.
    >
    > Print wins out.

    I much prefer to use the internet or computer based solutions. Often they
    seem to more up to date, and there are more search possibilities when you
    don't have all the info - I'm not sure about the possibilities in NZ, but in
    many countries you can easily search for a number based on just an address
    or partial address, and you can even use reverse lookup if you have a number
    but not the name.
    Peter K, Nov 9, 2010
  20. William Brown

    Peter K Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <ibbhsb$hdv$-september.org>,
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Peter K" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

    >> yellowpages.co.nz
    >> whitepages.co.nz

    > Fine for people with computers. What of all those without one?
    >
    > Turning on the computer

    ? You only need to do that once.
    Peter K, Nov 9, 2010