Another stupid PAP2T question?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Do the regional settings only affect signalling (ringtones, busy tone, etc.)
    or do they also have an effect on voice transmission.

    Soon after getting my PAP2T, it and I (probably mainly me!) got confused
    during the setup process, and I ended up setting it back to factory
    defaults. I'm not sure whether that sets it to something different from how
    it would have been supplied for UK use? Anyway, quite a lot of the regional
    settings now seem to differ from the recommended UK ones which have been
    posted here from time to time.

    It works ok, and I can make and receive calls - but there's sometimes a bit
    of an echo on the line. Is this likely to be associated with incorrect
    regional settings - or is that just a standard 'feature' of VoIP?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007

  2. Roger Mills

    Michael Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > Do the regional settings only affect signalling (ringtones, busy
    > tone, etc.) or do they also have an effect on voice transmission.
    >
    > Soon after getting my PAP2T, it and I (probably mainly me!) got
    > confused during the setup process, and I ended up setting it back to
    > factory defaults. I'm not sure whether that sets it to something
    > different from how it would have been supplied for UK use? Anyway,
    > quite a lot of the regional settings now seem to differ from the
    > recommended UK ones which have been posted here from time to time.
    >
    > It works ok, and I can make and receive calls - but there's sometimes
    > a bit of an echo on the line. Is this likely to be associated with
    > incorrect regional settings - or is that just a standard 'feature' of
    > VoIP?

    I can only answer from experience - and that is that having used VoIP
    for some time now as the main 'house phone' I have never experienced an
    echo. There is a setting for echo on the PAP2 at the foot of the
    'regional' tab (advanced view) - but I have no idea at all what the
    setting affects if anything other than the obvious.

    In fact I have no idea at all what most of the setting affect - I just
    copied things from my old SPA unit and others suggestions on this
    forum. Seems to work ok - though I'm at a loss as how to effect the
    finer things like call back / call hold / music on hold and so on.

    the setting for more echo suppression is a yes or no option (mine is
    set to no) - but try and adjust it and see what happens - it can't do
    much damage!

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007

  3. Roger Mills

    Tim Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > Do the regional settings only affect signalling (ringtones, busy tone, etc.)
    > or do they also have an effect on voice transmission.

    The port impedance setting will affect voice quality.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 19, 2007
  4. Roger Mills

    Sinna Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Roger Mills wrote:
    >> Do the regional settings only affect signalling (ringtones, busy tone,
    >> etc.) or do they also have an effect on voice transmission.

    > The port impedance setting will affect voice quality.
    >
    > Tim

    Very true!
    The default impedance setting is 600 Ohm while in Belgium it's
    270/750||150nF. Setting this correctly improves the voice quality a lot
    (incoming calls), outgoing calls are not affected and are still bright
    as always.

    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 20, 2007
  5. Roger Mills

    Michael Guest

    Sinna wrote:

    > Tim wrote:
    > > Roger Mills wrote:
    > > > Do the regional settings only affect signalling (ringtones, busy
    > > > tone, etc.) or do they also have an effect on voice transmission.

    > > The port impedance setting will affect voice quality.
    > >
    > > Tim

    > Very true!
    > The default impedance setting is 600 Ohm while in Belgium it's
    > 270/750||150nF. Setting this correctly improves the voice quality a
    > lot (incoming calls), outgoing calls are not affected and are still
    > bright as always.
    >
    > Sinna

    That setting on my PAP2 in the UK is 370+620||310nF

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 20, 2007