Another Stupid Hardware Questoin -- Canyou Predict Laptop Prices?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    I'm looking at buying a laptop for my daughter. She's in high school
    and could occasionally use a laptop for web browsing, email, word
    processing and lightweight computing.

    I'm not interested in a powehouse. In fact I'm looking at an $800
    Toshiba at Wal-Mart. Granted, it would mean feeding the evil empire
    some more, but I can walk in, swipe a card and walk out with it.

    My question is: will laptop prices fall appreciably after Christmas
    making it favorable to wait until January to buy the machine?

    What say you?

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Many a man who thinks he's going on a maiden voyage with
    a woman finds out later that it was just a shake-down cruise.
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Mark Adams

    old man Guest

    As a general rule there are bargains after the holiday.
    With the stated usage you certainly don't need an all sing & dancing sys
    I sent my daughter to University with a Dell I purchased 2nd hand for $60,
    installed win2k & office2k and an enormous 15gb hd, it lasted the course
    whilst all her friends high end laptops constantly gave probs.

    old man, Nov 16, 2006

  3. "Mark Adams" prudently prodigitated
    in news::

    > I'm looking at buying a laptop for my daughter. She's in high
    > school and could occasionally use a laptop for web browsing,
    > email, word processing and lightweight computing.
    >
    > I'm not interested in a powehouse. In fact I'm looking at an $800
    > Toshiba at Wal-Mart. Granted, it would mean feeding the evil
    > empire some more, but I can walk in, swipe a card and walk out
    > with it.
    >
    > My question is: will laptop prices fall appreciably after
    > Christmas making it favorable to wait until January to buy the
    > machine?
    >
    > What say you?

    Where's the link? Post the link for the item, and you'll likely get
    really good comparisons. Also, write down all the Wal Mart info, and
    run massive Google and Yahoo searches to cost compare. (Beware, while
    most on-line vendors don't charge sales taxes, a lot are a bit hefty on
    their Shipping & Handling.)

    Yes, all electronics will fall appreciably after the holiday pagan
    shopping insanity subsides. Laptop prices have hysterically fallen in
    the past, and will do so again. Additionally, a whole slew of "quad-
    core-processors" and Windows Vista OEM packages are posed to be
    released after this particular season, so all mfr's will have good-
    deals to sell off their existing stocks. The only evil you would be
    feeding by buying now is the capitalist feeding frenzy at holiday
    season. It's vulgar, and they abuse you, and they'd abuse us all if
    we'd let them. At least at Wal Mart, if you don't like it, you can take
    it back and get something really cool, like hub caps - those ones with
    the spinning things that go backwards. I once got twice-the-price money
    back because my strawberries had mildew on them. I liked that because I
    got 2 bags of Sam's cookies instead. Wal Mart is not all that bad, if
    no one sees you going in or coming out. I usually go with a friend who
    is driving, or park over at the Radio Shack, so no one will see me
    there. And if someone says "Hello over there, Bucky" I look at them
    like they're c-r-a-z-y and say "go away stalker." Later on away from
    Wal Mart, I just say "Oh, was that you? Well belated hello!" But smile,
    it's the smile that melts them everytime.

    Buying a kid an item of electronics is like buying them shoes or socks:
    they will likely outgrow them in 6 months, but they like it a lot
    better than if you made them a train from old tin cans and bottle caps.
    Yeah, buddy, we're not the "baby-boomers" you're talking to here.

    Good choice to go modest but essential on first laptop for younger
    ones, because they'll likely spill beer or drop a lit blunt on it
    before they learn to take care of it. Midnight term-papers due
    tomorrow, group brain-storming and web-cam watching, and the like,
    invite messy food & cola spills.

    Best regards.

    --

    As the snow started to fall,
    he tugged his coat tighter around himself.

    "This is the fourth coat crushing this year,"
    said the sergeant, as he outlined the body
    with a special pencil that writes on snow.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > "Mark Adams" prudently prodigitated
    > in news::
    >> I'm looking at buying a laptop for my daughter. She's in high
    >> school and could occasionally use a laptop for web browsing,
    >> email, word processing and lightweight computing.
    >>
    >> I'm not interested in a powehouse. In fact I'm looking at an $800
    >> Toshiba at Wal-Mart. Granted, it would mean feeding the evil
    >> empire some more, but I can walk in, swipe a card and walk out
    >> with it.
    >>
    >> My question is: will laptop prices fall appreciably after
    >> Christmas making it favorable to wait until January to buy the
    >> machine?
    >>
    >> What say you?

    > Where's the link? Post the link for the item, and you'll likely get
    > really good comparisons. Also, write down all the Wal Mart info, and
    > run massive Google and Yahoo searches to cost compare. (Beware, while
    > most on-line vendors don't charge sales taxes, a lot are a bit hefty on
    > their Shipping & Handling.)

    Here's a link, but remember, this is just one possibility -- I'm not
    really attracted to anything but a good deal at this point.

    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/rdet.jsp?poid=340256&seg=HHO

    Concerns involve stuff like display quality, keyboard comfort,
    durability and a hard drive > 60 GB. Linux compatibility would be cool,
    but so would a 64bit Turion but I"m trying to keep it simple.

    I could research all this and order something through Pricewatch.com,
    but I'm after a grab and go from my local Wal-mart. I'm hoping the
    Toshiba has it covered.

    Only question seems to be, will it pay me to wait until after the first
    of the year?

    > Yes, all electronics will fall appreciably after the holiday pagan
    > shopping insanity subsides. Laptop prices have hysterically fallen in
    > the past, and will do so again. Additionally, a whole slew of "quad-
    > core-processors" and Windows Vista OEM packages are posed to be
    > released after this particular season, so all mfr's will have good-
    > deals to sell off their existing stocks. The only evil you would be

    Right and I'm not ready to touch Vista. At least not yet.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    I consider a new device or technology to have been culturally accepted when
    it has been used to commit a murder.
    -- M. Gallaher
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006
  5. >> "Mark Adams" prudently prodigitated
    >> in news::
    >>> I'm looking at buying a laptop for my daughter. She's in high
    >>> school and could occasionally use a laptop for web browsing,
    >>> email, word processing and lightweight computing.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not interested in a powehouse. In fact I'm looking at an
    >>> $800 Toshiba at Wal-Mart. Granted, it would mean feeding the
    >>> evil empire some more, but I can walk in, swipe a card and walk
    >>> out with it.
    >>>
    >>> My question is: will laptop prices fall appreciably after
    >>> Christmas making it favorable to wait until January to buy the
    >>> machine?
    >>>
    >>> What say you?

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>
    >> Where's the link? Post the link for the item, and you'll likely
    >> get really good comparisons. Also, write down all the Wal Mart
    >> info, and run massive Google and Yahoo searches to cost compare.
    >> (Beware, while most on-line vendors don't charge sales taxes, a
    >> lot are a bit hefty on their Shipping & Handling.)
    >> [...]
    >> Yes, all electronics will fall appreciably after the holiday
    >> pagan shopping insanity subsides. Laptop prices have hysterically
    >> fallen in the past, and will do so again. Additionally, a whole
    >> slew of "quad- core-processors" and Windows Vista OEM packages
    >> are posed to be released after this particular season, so all
    >> mfr's will have good- deals to sell off their existing stocks.
    >> [...]

    Mark Adams having some pre-post-buyer's remorse premptivness
    wrote this in news::

    > Here's a link, but remember, this is just one possibility -- I'm
    > not really attracted to anything but a good deal at this point.
    >
    > http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/rdet.jsp?poid=340256&seg=HHO
    >
    > Concerns involve stuff like display quality, keyboard comfort,
    > durability and a hard drive > 60 GB. Linux compatibility would be
    > cool, but so would a 64bit Turion but I"m trying to keep it
    > simple.
    >
    > I could research all this and order something through
    > Pricewatch.com, but I'm after a grab and go from my local
    > Wal-mart. I'm hoping the Toshiba has it covered.
    >
    > Only question seems to be, will it pay me to wait until after the
    > first of the year?
    >

    > Right and I'm not ready to touch Vista. At least not yet.

    I think a lot of people are going to have that same inclination, at
    least for a while, if the past WinXP roll-out-experience provides any
    guidance, and that's why a lot of deals, and some really nice systems
    with WinXP are going to be all over the place at some really good
    prices. On the other hand, kids being kids, (we were all one once?),
    they might really want some Vista? But, it won't be long you can just
    grab an OEM or Educational copy of that (most university book stores
    will either carry it at a good deal, or have a source that does.)
    Might be good to study the Vista requirements, but I think your Toshiba
    will make the cut. The 1.86 Ghz processor is respectable especially
    with the Gig of RAM. A lot of notebooks use the 5400 RPM HDD as a sort
    of "power saver" and 100GB is very good, imho.

    I would be inclined to think that at $800 you can't go wrong with your
    Wal Mart choice. I think you found the good deal on that model! But the
    answer is that there are certainly going to be some really good deals,
    not necessarily any better on that particular item, but all different
    types of systems after the holidays are fluttered down this season,
    and, at $800 for this baby, you can always just go get another one when
    you're so inclined. (o;

    Just my opinion.

    Best regards!

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>> "Mark Adams" prudently prodigitated

    >> Only question seems to be, will it pay me to wait until after the
    >> first of the year?
    >>

    >> Right and I'm not ready to touch Vista. At least not yet.

    > I think a lot of people are going to have that same inclination, at
    > least for a while, if the past WinXP roll-out-experience provides any
    > guidance, and that's why a lot of deals, and some really nice systems
    > with WinXP are going to be all over the place at some really good
    > prices.

    I'm also wondering if OEM suppliers aren't trying to clear out XP
    systems, hence the nice price on the Toshiba I'm looking at. If that's
    the case, the price isn't likely to fall much lower on this model.

    On the other hand, kids being kids, (we were all one once?),
    > they might really want some Vista? But, it won't be long you can just
    > grab an OEM or Educational copy of that (most university book stores
    > will either carry it at a good deal, or have a source that does.)

    We have a university bookstore about three miles from here. If the deal
    is the same for Vista as it was for XP, my daughter would qualify with
    her HS ID card. Very nice option given the relatively reasonable price
    afforded by student discounts.

    > Might be good to study the Vista requirements, but I think your Toshiba
    > will make the cut. The 1.86 Ghz processor is respectable especially
    > with the Gig of RAM. A lot of notebooks use the 5400 RPM HDD as a sort
    > of "power saver" and 100GB is very good, imho.

    Despite the initial "it'll take a MINIMUM of 4 GIGABYTES of RAM and a 4
    GIGAHERTZ processor..." hysteria I saw a few months ago, I think you're
    probably right. And I suspect I can add RAM later.

    It may not allow all the Aero eye candy, but I'm working on a desktop OS
    right now that includes 3ddesktop, transparent windows with dropshadows,
    all kinds of stuff, but not with my hardware. I like eye candy as much
    as anybody, but I seem to be pretty happy without it. The daughter has
    a 3-year-old Dell desktop that she's tinkered with a bit. I don't think
    she has to have the ubercool Aero look.

    > I would be inclined to think that at $800 you can't go wrong with your
    > Wal Mart choice. I think you found the good deal on that model! But the
    > answer is that there are certainly going to be some really good deals,
    > not necessarily any better on that particular item, but all different
    > types of systems after the holidays are fluttered down this season,
    > and, at $800 for this baby, you can always just go get another one when
    > you're so inclined. (o;

    Yeah <sigh>, that's kind of the way I see it. What I really want is a
    convertible tablet, but in the meantime, I'd like to have something that
    we can use around the house and the daughter can lug around if she needs
    to. It's the waiting that's eating me alive.

    I have a nagging doubts about finding a better deal in seven weeks.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    Do students of Zen Buddhism do Om-work?
    Mark Adams, Nov 17, 2006