Another Strike for Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2007.

  1. <q>

    SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get
    faster and Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir
    online this week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could
    keep customers from upgrading to Vista.

    Wellington, Fla.-based Devil Mountain Software ran several versions of
    XP and Vista through a test simulating common desktop computing tasks.
    It found the original Vista performed 50 percent to 100 percent slower
    than the prevalent XP Service Pack 2, or SP2.

    Vista SP1, due out in the first quarter of 2008, barely improved the
    operating system's performance.

    But XP SP3, scheduled for the first half of 2008, did improve on XP's
    earlier performance, running 10 percent faster than SP2.

    </q>

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_xp_sp3_performance_2

    = http://tinyurl.com/39gc2r

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Blinky the Shark

    richard Guest

    On 30 Nov 2007 06:21:17 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > <q>
    >
    > SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get
    > faster and Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir
    > online this week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could
    > keep customers from upgrading to Vista.

    I'll bet it ain't the software. I am running vista premium now on an amd
    athlon processor and this puppy just rocks.
    Compared to my P3 intell powered laptop, it sucks.
    Even my amd laptop was by far faster running XP.
    richard, Nov 30, 2007

  3. Blinky the Shark

    Plato Guest

    richard wrote:

    > > SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get
    > > faster and Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir
    > > online this week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could
    > > keep customers from upgrading to Vista.

    > I'll bet it ain't the software. I am running vista premium now on an amd
    > athlon processor and this puppy just rocks.
    > Compared to my P3 intell powered laptop, it sucks.
    > Even my amd laptop was by far faster running XP.

    Then continue using XP, just like the OP referred to.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Tony Guest

    Vista is a pig!

    Tony, Nov 30, 2007
  5. Blinky the Shark

    Plato Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Vista is a pig!

    Works OK if you have enough ram and a fast CPU. The interface seems to
    be what many people are complaining about.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  6. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > <q>
    >
    > SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get
    > faster and Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir
    > online this week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could
    > keep customers from upgrading to Vista.

    > Wellington, Fla.-based Devil Mountain Software ran several versions of
    > XP and Vista through a test simulating common desktop computing tasks.
    > It found the original Vista performed 50 percent to 100 percent slower
    > than the prevalent XP Service Pack 2, or SP2.
    >
    > Vista SP1, due out in the first quarter of 2008, barely improved the
    > operating system's performance.
    >
    > But XP SP3, scheduled for the first half of 2008, did improve on XP's
    > earlier performance, running 10 percent faster than SP2.

    My HP dv9000 laptop duo with 32bit version of Vista running on it runs just
    as fast as the XP 64 bit machine at work that's duo that has the Vista
    logo but is running XP. :)
    Mr. Arnold, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Mitch Guest

    In article <47505a68$0$19391$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    wrote:

    > Works OK if you have enough ram and a fast CPU. The interface seems to
    > be what many people are complaining about.

    So... it works 'OK,' under certain conditions (mainly that you spend
    lmoney upgrading hardware, too!), but has a
    bad/annoying/complaint-worthy interface?

    It still sounds like you are forgiving a company that has
    MASSIVELY SCREWED UP!
    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  8. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Vista for dummies&btnG=Google Search
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 1, 2007
  9. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Re: My next George Forman

    I tried to cook some pan cakes with the hotel's pan. It was a it was a mess.
    The pan cakes kept sticking to the non Teflon pan.

    This is going to be my new boy on the kitchen top. The one I had since
    September, I'll give it to someone. :)

    I saw advertisements for it today on tv.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4790227
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Blinky the Shark

    Plato Guest

    Mitch wrote:

    > In article <47505a68$0$19391$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Works OK if you have enough ram and a fast CPU. The interface seems to
    > > be what many people are complaining about.

    > So... it works 'OK,' under certain conditions (mainly that you spend
    > lmoney upgrading hardware, too!), but has a
    > bad/annoying/complaint-worthy interface?
    >
    > It still sounds like you are forgiving a company that has
    > MASSIVELY SCREWED UP!

    I'm not forgiving anybody. You dont have to use or buy Vista. Heck, my
    son runs linux off a flash drive and takes it around with him on his
    keychain.
    Plato, Dec 3, 2007
  11. Re: My next George Forman

    Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > I tried to cook some pan cakes with the hotel's pan. It was a it was a mess.
    > The pan cakes kept sticking to the non Teflon pan.
    >
    > This is going to be my new boy on the kitchen top. The one I had since
    > September, I'll give it to someone. :)
    >
    > I saw advertisements for it today on tv.
    >
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4790227

    I considered that model when I bought my Foreman. I liked the way the
    top is suspended rather than being hinged at the back; you can cook
    thicker hunks of dead animal that way and the griddle plates will stay
    parallel for even cooking. Cuisinart has a nice one, too, with that
    kind of top mechanizm. But I didn't need the pancake and waffle plates,
    so I went with the model I mentioned the other day.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 3, 2007
  12. Blinky the Shark

    phrogee Guest

    Re: My next George Forman

    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to cook some pan cakes with the hotel's pan. It was a it was a
    >> mess.
    >> The pan cakes kept sticking to the non Teflon pan.
    >>
    >> This is going to be my new boy on the kitchen top. The one I had since
    >> September, I'll give it to someone. :)
    >>
    >> I saw advertisements for it today on tv.
    >>
    >> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4790227

    > I considered that model when I bought my Foreman. I liked the way the
    > top is suspended rather than being hinged at the back; you can cook
    > thicker hunks of dead animal that way and the griddle plates will stay
    > parallel for even cooking. Cuisinart has a nice one, too, with that
    > kind of top mechanizm. But I didn't need the pancake and waffle plates,
    > so I went with the model I mentioned the other day.

    I bought the George Foreman combination grill and steam iron.

    --
    phrogee
    phrogee, Dec 3, 2007
  13. Blinky the Shark

    samuel Guest

    Re: My next George Forman

    "phrogee" <> wrote in

    > I bought the George Foreman combination grill and steam iron.

    mine had a paper shredder.. er meat tenderizer
    samuel, Dec 3, 2007
  14. Re: My next George Forman

    phrogee wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried to cook some pan cakes with the hotel's pan. It was a it was a
    >>> mess.
    >>> The pan cakes kept sticking to the non Teflon pan.
    >>>
    >>> This is going to be my new boy on the kitchen top. The one I had since
    >>> September, I'll give it to someone. :)
    >>>
    >>> I saw advertisements for it today on tv.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4790227

    >> I considered that model when I bought my Foreman. I liked the way the
    >> top is suspended rather than being hinged at the back; you can cook
    >> thicker hunks of dead animal that way and the griddle plates will stay
    >> parallel for even cooking. Cuisinart has a nice one, too, with that
    >> kind of top mechanizm. But I didn't need the pancake and waffle plates,
    >> so I went with the model I mentioned the other day.
    >>

    > I bought the George Foreman combination grill and steam iron.

    Should be good for skirt steak.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 3, 2007
  15. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Re: My next George Forman

    > phrogee wrote:
    >

    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> I considered that model when I bought my Foreman. I liked the way the
    >>> top is suspended rather than being hinged at the back; you can cook
    >>> thicker hunks of dead animal that way and the griddle plates will stay
    >>> parallel for even cooking. Cuisinart has a nice one, too, with that
    >>> kind of top mechanizm. But I didn't need the pancake and waffle plates,
    >>> so I went with the model I mentioned the other day.
    >>>

    >> I bought the George Foreman combination grill and steam iron.

    > Should be good for skirt steak.

    Did you hear? The next one will have a vacuum cleaner. But as long as it
    does the job is all that counts. I wouldn't like one with a steam iron. I
    would like one that's comes with stream press, so I can do pants.
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 3, 2007