Another service we won't be seeing in NZ any time soon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew Poole, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Matthew Poole, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Matthew Poole

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/03/23/movie.download/index.html
    >
    > On top of MS's online version of Office, and the new Symantec security
    > service, we now won't be downloading movies legally.

    All stuff you are really hanging out to try?

    As far as the movies are concerned, at the price they are charging I
    certainly won't be downloading any, anyway. The price is outrageous.
    These guys seem to believe they have a compelling product - and maybe
    they did at one time. I think that industry as a whole is full of its
    own self importance. Now, though, there is just too much else to do.

    Further, what happens if watching movies on small personal screens
    becomes viable? Do the movie companies optimise their movies for the
    small screen, or the big one? Do they produce a different edition for
    each? The whole movie - even the design - would be produced differently
    for a small screen.

    No details on if they'll be using Bit torrent, or any details on how
    they'll implement DRM. I wouldn't want a movie tied to one specific PC,
    for example. 'cos then I'd have to rip the DVD they send you to view it
    on another one :)

    As far as online apps are concerned, MS Office online (which BTW would
    have to be a heap better than ajaxWrite, which was released on Wednesday
    and is real crap - even gmail does it better) won't be up to much if
    their new search product is anything to go by. The killer online office
    app (if there even is one) will be by a small player less concerned with
    supporting a huge corporation, and able to make decisions without
    involving all the people that MS will have to.

    So, in some ways we won't be missing all that much, for a while at
    least. And there is still a heap of stuff that works OK on what we
    currently have, so no need to panic yet. All the compelling online stuff
    is happening elsewhere, not in the big companies.

    Let's see how Vint Cerf gets on with Cunliffe (bet Cunliffe doesn't even
    know who Cerf is).
    -=rjh=-, Mar 24, 2006

  3. On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:27:50 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/03/23/movie.download/index.html
    >>
    >> On top of MS's online version of Office, and the new Symantec security
    >> service, we now won't be downloading movies legally.

    > All stuff you are really hanging out to try?

    *SNIP*

    Oh, absolutely. That'd be why I'm posting this out of FreeBSD :p
    Whether I'd use them is irrelevant as to whether or not I'm pissed off
    that we've got such crap "broadband" that they won't be offered; or, if
    offered, won't be usable.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."