Another scam?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Rampling, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
    email forwarding facility:

    <quote>

    Thank you for your order!
    ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    NO REPLY WILL BE READ***

    INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
    Qty. Price. Amount. Description
    1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
    1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
    1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY

    Payment Method: ----- Credit card
    Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
    Ship Via: ----- 2 Day

    Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
    Discounts: ----- -$56.04
    Shipping: ----- $45.00
    Tax: ----- $0.00

    TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96

    Sales Department
    At eurojobsear.net

    <END of quote>

    Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
    eurojobsear.net
    If it's a scam how does it work>

    John Rampling, Aug 11, 2004

  2. John Rampling

    Robert Baer Guest

    John Rampling wrote:

    > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
    > email forwarding facility:
    >
    > <quote>
    >
    > Thank you for your order!
    > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    >
    > INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
    > Qty. Price. Amount. Description
    > 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
    > 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
    > 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
    >
    > Payment Method: ----- Credit card
    > Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
    > Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
    >
    > Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
    > Discounts: ----- -$56.04
    > Shipping: ----- $45.00
    > Tax: ----- $0.00
    >
    > TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
    >
    > Sales Department
    > At eurojobsear.net
    >
    > <END of quote>
    >
    > Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
    > eurojobsear.net
    > If it's a scam how does it work>

    Possibilities:
    1) someone at "euro jobs ear" screwed up on the e-mail address, so you
    got the ersult.
    2) someone got your credit card dnmber and ordered stuff and one of the
    orders ersulted in that e-mail notice.
    VERY *carefully* (and !immediately!) check your credit card statements
    for any foul play; call the issueing agency and make a report AND
    cancel/stop that card.
    Watch each and every monthly statement for abuse; report as above.

    Robert Baer, Aug 11, 2004

  3. John Rampling

    J KScot Guest

    "John Rampling" <> wrote in message
    > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my
    > website email forwarding facility:
    >
    > <quote>
    >
    > Thank you for your order!
    > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    >

    > Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
    > eurojobsear.net
    > If it's a scam how does it work>

    IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to their
    sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that link to
    report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web site, an attempt
    will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of some kind. If the user
    does not have an active anti-virus scanner, then...

    jim

    J KScot, Aug 11, 2004
  4. How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?

    Hank Sniadoch, Aug 11, 2004
  5. John Rampling

    Stuart Guest

    Hank Sniadoch wrote:

    > How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?

    If his computer has been compromised and since then he has used his
    credit card for online purchases.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 11, 2004
  6. John Rampling

    ric Guest

    John Rampling wrote:

    > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
    > email forwarding facility:
    >
    > <quote>
    >
    > Thank you for your order!
    > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    >
    > INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
    > Qty. Price. Amount. Description
    > 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
    > 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
    > 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
    >
    > Payment Method: ----- Credit card
    > Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
    > Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
    >
    > Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
    > Discounts: ----- -$56.04
    > Shipping: ----- $45.00
    > Tax: ----- $0.00
    >
    > TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
    >
    > Sales Department
    > At eurojobsear.net
    >
    > <END of quote>

    1. Call your CC company and report the incident. If you don't have online
    access to monitor your CC charges, get it.
    2. Download, install, and run an anti spyware program (Spybot 1.3 or
    Ad-aware.)
    3. DO NOT click on any links in the email nor contact that company in any
    way.

    ric, Aug 11, 2004
  7. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:18:58 +0100, J KScot <> wrote:

    > IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to
    > their
    > sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that link to
    > report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web site, an
    > attempt
    > will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of some kind. If the
    > user
    > does not have an active anti-virus scanner, then...
    >
    > jim

    It does try to do that too.
    The link is actually a link to http://eurojobsearch.net/1/index.htm which
    loads a chain of bits and bobs and tries to run/download msits.exe which
    then tries to do some other stuff with the aim pf hijacking IE search/home
    pages. You know the sort of thing.

    See
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=JS_JECT.A&VSect=T
    which describes similar behaviour.

    I looked up eurojobsearch.net and it belongs to:

    EuroJob GmBH
    Joshua Beckmund ()
    +49.5419692211
    Fax: none
    -
    Osnabrück, XX 49028
    DE

    smnetworking.biz addresses have been used for similar attempts in the
    past...

    Nicolas Mitchell, Aug 11, 2004
  8. John Rampling

    THEOLDONE Guest

    Want to know How...Visit Here..Re: Another scam?

    http://home.comcast.net/~omnis1.nospam/privat.htm

    Be sure to remove "nospam" B4 initiating site

    HTH

    THEOLDONE, Aug 11, 2004
  9. John Rampling

    Justin Guest

    "J KScot" <> wrote in

    > "John Rampling" <> wrote in message
    >> Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my
    >> website email forwarding facility:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >>
    >> Thank you for your order!
    >> ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL
    >> AND NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    >>

    >> Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
    >> eurojobsear.net
    >> If it's a scam how does it work>
    >>

    > IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to
    > their sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that
    > link to report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web
    > site, an attempt will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of
    > some kind. If the user does not have an active anti-virus scanner,
    > then...
    >
    > jim

    It's sickening that this type of crap is condoned as "free speech"!
    Spammers need to be put out of commission.

    Justin, Aug 12, 2004
  10. John Rampling

    Robert Baer Guest

    Hank Sniadoch wrote:

    > How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > John Rampling wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my

    > website
    > > > email forwarding facility:
    > > >
    > > > <quote>
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for your order!
    > > > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    > > > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    > > >
    > > > INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
    > > > Qty. Price. Amount. Description
    > > > 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
    > > > 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
    > > > 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
    > > >
    > > > Payment Method: ----- Credit card
    > > > Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
    > > > Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
    > > >
    > > > Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
    > > > Discounts: ----- -$56.04
    > > > Shipping: ----- $45.00
    > > > Tax: ----- $0.00
    > > >
    > > > TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
    > > >
    > > > Sales Department
    > > > At eurojobsear.net
    > > >
    > > > <END of quote>
    > > >
    > > > Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
    > > > eurojobsear.net
    > > > If it's a scam how does it work>
    > > >

    > > Possibilities:
    > > 1) someone at "euro jobs ear" screwed up on the e-mail address, so you
    > > got the ersult.
    > > 2) someone got your credit card dnmber and ordered stuff and one of the
    > > orders ersulted in that e-mail notice.
    > > VERY *carefully* (and !immediately!) check your credit card statements
    > > for any foul play; call the issueing agency and make a report AND
    > > cancel/stop that card.
    > > Watch each and every monthly statement for abuse; report as above.

    From copies of original or the original itself, home or business
    dumpster diving, clueless people (including card holder) passing on card
    number to another "for verification", etc.

    Robert Baer, Aug 12, 2004
  11. John Rampling

    Robert Baer Guest

    ric wrote:

    > John Rampling wrote:
    >
    > > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
    > > email forwarding facility:
    > >
    > > <quote>
    > >
    > > Thank you for your order!
    > > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
    > > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
    > >
    > > INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
    > > Qty. Price. Amount. Description
    > > 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
    > > 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
    > > 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
    > >
    > > Payment Method: ----- Credit card
    > > Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
    > > Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
    > >
    > > Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
    > > Discounts: ----- -$56.04
    > > Shipping: ----- $45.00
    > > Tax: ----- $0.00
    > >
    > > TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
    > >
    > > Sales Department
    > > At eurojobsear.net
    > >
    > > <END of quote>

    > 1. Call your CC company and report the incident. If you don't have online
    > access to monitor your CC charges, get it.
    > 2. Download, install, and run an anti spyware program (Spybot 1.3 or
    > Ad-aware.)
    > 3. DO NOT click on any links in the email nor contact that company in any
    > way.

    In fact, it is a good policy to *NEVER* click on *any* links in *ANY*
    e-mail, ever, no matter how legitimate it looks or may be.
    Make it a personal policy!
    If one really needs to navigate to a given site, do a manual entry in
    the navigation bar.
    That will materially decrease possible problems.

    Also, if the e-mail looks "suspect" then *immediately* toss it and do
    not look back (!!).
    Suspect = 1) "your order from..." when you know you did not order what
    is mentioned, or from that company, 2) mispelled words, the more the
    worse, 3) use of nonstandard characters "l!ke m0Re", 4) use/excessive
    use of HTML, 5) HTML coding of characters "&12321" (or something like
    that - do not remember, as i toss it so fast), 6) forged headers, 7)
    porn crap, 8) stock tips, 9) MS "update" or "security" crap, 10) etc.

    Robert Baer, Aug 12, 2004