    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Jul 21, 2005

  2. Top (retired)

    ftran999 Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns969AA6C3A1D94Topneorrcom@65.24.3.135...
    >I mentioned this in another thread but I think it is worth repeating.
    > Yesterday, while on another call, I received a call from some saying my
    > personal information, paypal information, was being used to buy a used
    > car on ebay. I knew something was wrong because I have not used paypal
    > before (and have no desire to). As I said I was on another call and
    > couldn't take much time with this caller but the jest was that he
    > wanted to compare some information. I cut him short and hung up on him.
    > I wish now I would have taken more time to get more info from him. I
    > have to think it was a varitation of idenity theft. Later I checked on
    > ebay to see what the last thing was that I had looked at, a quick way
    > to see if "I" was buying a car. According to ebay's information the
    > last thing I examined was a guitar and that was monthes ago.
    >
    > Be careful! They are coming up with new scams all the time. I'm filing
    > a police report. I don't expect it will do any good for me but it will
    > establish the fact that it is happening. I haven't heard of this one
    > before.
    >
    > Ed
    >
    > --
    > Freedom is never free....

    This is the first time I've ever heard about one of these scams over the
    phone. I've been getting one of those PayPal scam emails just about
    everyday for the past 4 or 5 days and like you I don't have a PP account.
    You did the right thing by filing a police report. However, if I may ask,
    did the scammer have any sort of accent that would give away that he was
    calling from outside the U.S? If the origins of the emails are any
    indication, he was probably calling from Asia or something.
    ftran999, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Top (retired)

    NotMe Guest

    ftran999 wrote:
    > "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I mentioned this in another thread but I think it is worth repeating.
    >>Yesterday, while on another call, I received a call from some saying my
    >>personal information, paypal information, was being used to buy a used
    >>car on ebay. I knew something was wrong because I have not used paypal
    >>before (and have no desire to). As I said I was on another call and
    >>couldn't take much time with this caller but the jest was that he
    >>wanted to compare some information. I cut him short and hung up on him.
    >>I wish now I would have taken more time to get more info from him. I
    >>have to think it was a varitation of idenity theft. Later I checked on
    >>ebay to see what the last thing was that I had looked at, a quick way
    >>to see if "I" was buying a car. According to ebay's information the
    >>last thing I examined was a guitar and that was monthes ago.
    >>
    >>Be careful! They are coming up with new scams all the time. I'm filing
    >>a police report. I don't expect it will do any good for me but it will
    >>establish the fact that it is happening. I haven't heard of this one
    >>before.
    >>
    >>Ed
    >>
    >>--
    >>Freedom is never free....

    > This is the first time I've ever heard about one of these scams over the
    > phone. I've been getting one of those PayPal scam emails just about
    > everyday for the past 4 or 5 days and like you I don't have a PP account.
    > You did the right thing by filing a police report. However, if I may ask,
    > did the scammer have any sort of accent that would give away that he was
    > calling from outside the U.S? If the origins of the emails are any
    > indication, he was probably calling from Asia or something.

    I worked at a relay service call center for a while [provides
    communication for deaf, hard of hearing, and speech disabled people]
    Scammers would use the internet relay service and pretend to be deaf to
    sucker people into selling stuff, ultimately purchased with a stolen
    credit card.

    The rules for relay are controlled by FCC regulations and Americans with
    Disabilities act [in the US anyway]. The operator is not allowed to
    censor or in any way get involved in any part of the call - you have to
    pretend that you are the phone. Kind of a Zen thing.

    If you receive a relay call, give them the benefit of the doubt. It
    might be a legit hearing impaired caller. But if it sounds fishy, and
    if they are using INTERNET relay, ask for their phone number and call
    them back through the relay service [no charge unless it's long
    distance] or have the caller call back using STATE relay. This will cut
    down on the spammers using a tax-paid relay service to fleece people out
    of Millions of dollars.

    NotMe
    NotMe, Jul 22, 2005
  4. "ftran999" <> wrote in

    > "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    >>I mentioned this in another thread but I think it is worth
    >>repeating.
    >> Yesterday, while on another call, I received a call from some
    >> saying my personal information, paypal information, was being
    >> used to buy a used car on ebay. I knew something was wrong
    >> because I have not used paypal before (and have no desire to). As
    >> I said I was on another call and couldn't take much time with
    >> this caller but the jest was that he wanted to compare some
    >> information. I cut him short and hung up on him. I wish now I
    >> would have taken more time to get more info from him. I have to
    >> think it was a varitation of idenity theft. Later I checked on
    >> ebay to see what the last thing was that I had looked at, a quick
    >> way to see if "I" was buying a car. According to ebay's
    >> information the last thing I examined was a guitar and that was
    >> monthes ago.
    >>
    >> Be careful! They are coming up with new scams all the time. I'm
    >> filing a police report. I don't expect it will do any good for me
    >> but it will establish the fact that it is happening. I haven't
    >> heard of this one before.
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>
    >> --
    >> Freedom is never free....

    > This is the first time I've ever heard about one of these scams
    > over the phone. I've been getting one of those PayPal scam emails
    > just about everyday for the past 4 or 5 days and like you I don't
    > have a PP account. You did the right thing by filing a police
    > report. However, if I may ask, did the scammer have any sort of
    > accent that would give away that he was calling from outside the
    > U.S? If the origins of the emails are any indication, he was
    > probably calling from Asia or something.

    No accent at all. I wish I would have had the time to ask more and
    try get a little more information from him. What bothers me is that
    there is probably someone out there that will be taken in by the
    ruse.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....