    get"? I assume they cannot squeeze 7.1mp into a 4x6" print..

    Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Dan

    Ben Brugman Guest

    > If I am going to upload my pictures to a place like ofoto or
    > walmart.com and want 4x6 prints, what is the best resolution they can
    > handle? In other words, at what point is it "as clear as it's going to
    > get"? I assume they cannot squeeze 7.1mp into a 4x6" print..

    Probably they will use 300 ppi for their print.
    So you could reduce your image to (4x300) x (6x300), so you still
    have controle over the process and send a 1200 x 1800 pixels
    picture.

    But do this for you if you send or upload teh 7.1 pixels.
    So you have the choice, you throw away part of the information,
    or let them throw away part of the information.

    (Lazy mode let them do it, you need more bandwidth.)
    (Active mode you do the downscalling, more control and less bandwidth).

    ben

    Ben Brugman, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Dan

    jpc Guest

    On 23 Sep 2006 10:06:48 -0700, "Dan" <> wrote:

    I print at 240 pixels per inch which is "about a s clear as it's
    going to get" For 4 by 6 prionts that 1000 by 1500 pixels

    jpc

    jpc, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Dan

    Bates Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > If I am going to upload my pictures to a place like ofoto or
    > walmart.com and want 4x6 prints, what is the best resolution they can
    > handle? In other words, at what point is it "as clear as it's going to
    > get"? I assume they cannot squeeze 7.1mp into a 4x6" print..
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    Hi Dan,

    It's important to realise that your screen resolution (or the
    resolution of your digital image) in pixels per inch is not really the
    same thing as a printers dots per inch (or DPI) rating. A few years
    back I used to stick to about 1/3 the resolution (in pixels per inch)
    of my printer (in DPI). Thus if I was printing 600 DPI, I'd use a 200
    PPI image. Now a days you may want to increase that factor a little
    more but as per some of the other suggestions here, I generally find
    that 300 dpi is more than enough (thus even if I am using a 1200DPI
    printer, I do not necessarily find it necessary to use an image that is
    600DPI). I'm not sure Walmart will have the info available, but you
    may want to find out what DPI their printer uses. That being said, DPI
    also does not necessarily give you an indication of how the image will
    look (dye sub vs inkjet for example - dye sub can often have lower DPI
    but produce a better looking image than a higher resolution inkjet).

    Bates....
    Bates, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Dan

    POHB Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > If I am going to upload my pictures to a place like ofoto or
    > walmart.com and want 4x6 prints, what is the best resolution they can
    > handle? In other words, at what point is it "as clear as it's going to
    > get"? I assume they cannot squeeze 7.1mp into a 4x6" print..

    I don't know about those particular places but the print service I use
    also stores the pictures so you can view and retrieve them in the
    future. I consider them to be an online backup, in case of a disaster
    at home I can at least get back the pictures I considered worth
    printing. For that reason it is worth uploading the original
    resolution.
    POHB, Sep 25, 2006
  6. Dan wrote:

    > If I am going to upload my pictures to a place like ofoto or
    > walmart.com and want 4x6 prints, what is the best resolution they can
    > handle? In other words, at what point is it "as clear as it's going
    > to get"? I assume they cannot squeeze 7.1mp into a 4x6" print..

    They can squeeze it in, or rather, interpolate downwards, but for 4x6 you
    don't need more than 1200 x 1800 pixels, which is 2.2MP.

    Paul
    Paul Saunders, Sep 25, 2006
  7. Dan

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dan,

    The more information you have in the file the better off you are in terms of
    printing. So, if you have a large file send it on. For reference, you can
    liken the number of pixels in an image to the grain in a traditional
    negative. Making a 4x6 print from a 4x6 negative yields a great print. A
    large file in digital will do a similar job.

    Ron Baird

    Ron Baird, Sep 25, 2006