Another Repair Situation

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by joe925c, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. joe925c

    joe925c Guest

    Linksys Model WRT300N V1.1 wireless router. Firmware 1.51.2 (latest).
    Using wireless channel 3, Set up an encryption key and Admin Password (no
    Admin Username).
    Starband satellite modem.
    Desktop directly connected to router.
    Netbook (Acer Aspire one; mod ZG5) wireless to router.
    Both PCs at Windows XP Home V5.1 svc pk 3

    It seems at random (days), the Netbook wireless communication connection is
    lost. Each time, I need to do a “repair†to reestablish the connection
    (always works). The wireless connection is set up for auto connect. Never a
    problem with the desktop PC. The Netbook is about 10 feet from the router and
    signal strength is always “excellentâ€. The Netbook uploads weather data at 10
    minute intervals and is the only application running. What is forcing the
    netbook connection loss is of interest and would like to understand; however,
    how can I have the “repair†done automatically?

    Any suggestions on a fix?

    Thanks,
    Joe
    joe925c, Aug 21, 2009

  2. joe925c

    Lem Guest

    joe925c wrote:
    > Linksys Model WRT300N V1.1 wireless router. Firmware 1.51.2 (latest).
    > Using wireless channel 3, Set up an encryption key and Admin Password (no
    > Admin Username).
    > Starband satellite modem.
    > Desktop directly connected to router.
    > Netbook (Acer Aspire one; mod ZG5) wireless to router.
    > Both PCs at Windows XP Home V5.1 svc pk 3
    >
    > It seems at random (days), the Netbook wireless communication connection is
    > lost. Each time, I need to do a “repair†to reestablish the connection
    > (always works). The wireless connection is set up for auto connect. Never a
    > problem with the desktop PC. The Netbook is about 10 feet from the router and
    > signal strength is always “excellentâ€. The Netbook uploads weather data at 10
    > minute intervals and is the only application running. What is forcing the
    > netbook connection loss is of interest and would like to understand; however,
    > how can I have the “repair†done automatically?
    >
    > Any suggestions on a fix?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joe

    1. Ensure that the wireless adapter does not have its Properties set to
    "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (Check using
    Device Manager).

    2. Ensure that only one configuration utility is managing the wireless
    adapter (Windows Wireless Zero configuration vs Acer or adapter mfr utility)

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Aug 21, 2009

  3. joe925c

    joe925c Guest

    "Lem" wrote:

    > joe925c wrote:
    > > Linksys Model WRT300N V1.1 wireless router. Firmware 1.51.2 (latest).
    > > Using wireless channel 3, Set up an encryption key and Admin Password (no
    > > Admin Username).
    > > Starband satellite modem.
    > > Desktop directly connected to router.
    > > Netbook (Acer Aspire one; mod ZG5) wireless to router.
    > > Both PCs at Windows XP Home V5.1 svc pk 3
    > >
    > > It seems at random (days), the Netbook wireless communication connection is
    > > lost. Each time, I need to do a “repair†to reestablish the connection
    > > (always works). The wireless connection is set up for auto connect. Never a
    > > problem with the desktop PC. The Netbook is about 10 feet from the router and
    > > signal strength is always “excellentâ€. The Netbook uploads weather data at 10
    > > minute intervals and is the only application running. What is forcing the
    > > netbook connection loss is of interest and would like to understand; however,
    > > how can I have the “repair†done automatically?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on a fix?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Joe
    > >

    > 1. Ensure that the wireless adapter does not have its Properties set to
    > "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (Check using
    > Device Manager).
    >
    > 2. Ensure that only one configuration utility is managing the wireless
    > adapter (Windows Wireless Zero configuration vs Acer or adapter mfr utility)
    >

    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    > http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

    LEM,

    Thanks for the advice. Regarding #2, there is only one utility controlling
    the wireless adapter. #1 is going to require some work. The adapter is an
    Atheros AR5007EG and their driver is used. When I go to the "properties"
    there is no power management tab like other adapters. Under their advanced
    tab there is a whole batch of "power save policy" selections to set
    (background, best effort,video, voice). The set options are legacy power save
    or WMM power save UAPSD. There is one "power save mode" setting and its
    options are maz, norm and off. There is no manual that covers the definition
    of these terms so going out on the Internet to find what these terms mean.
    Thanks again,
    Joe
    joe925c, Aug 22, 2009
  4. joe925c

    Lem Guest

    joe925c wrote:

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> joe925c wrote:
    >>> Linksys Model WRT300N V1.1 wireless router. Firmware 1.51.2 (latest).
    >>> Using wireless channel 3, Set up an encryption key and Admin Password (no
    >>> Admin Username).
    >>> Starband satellite modem.
    >>> Desktop directly connected to router.
    >>> Netbook (Acer Aspire one; mod ZG5) wireless to router.
    >>> Both PCs at Windows XP Home V5.1 svc pk 3
    >>>
    >>> It seems at random (days), the Netbook wireless communication connection is
    >>> lost. Each time, I need to do a “repair†to reestablish the connection
    >>> (always works). The wireless connection is set up for auto connect. Never a
    >>> problem with the desktop PC. The Netbook is about 10 feet from the router and
    >>> signal strength is always “excellentâ€. The Netbook uploads weather data at 10
    >>> minute intervals and is the only application running. What is forcing the
    >>> netbook connection loss is of interest and would like to understand; however,
    >>> how can I have the “repair†done automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on a fix?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Joe
    >>>

    >> 1. Ensure that the wireless adapter does not have its Properties set to
    >> "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (Check using
    >> Device Manager).
    >>
    >> 2. Ensure that only one configuration utility is managing the wireless
    >> adapter (Windows Wireless Zero configuration vs Acer or adapter mfr utility)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    >> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html
    >>

    > LEM,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Regarding #2, there is only one utility controlling
    > the wireless adapter. #1 is going to require some work. The adapter is an
    > Atheros AR5007EG and their driver is used. When I go to the "properties"
    > there is no power management tab like other adapters. Under their advanced
    > tab there is a whole batch of "power save policy" selections to set
    > (background, best effort,video, voice). The set options are legacy power save
    > or WMM power save UAPSD. There is one "power save mode" setting and its
    > options are maz, norm and off. There is no manual that covers the definition
    > of these terms so going out on the Internet to find what these terms mean.
    > Thanks again,
    > Joe

    You're probably not finding a manual under "Atheros" because Atheros is
    the chipset manufacturer, not the wifi adapter mfr. If this adapter
    came with your computer, try looking on your computer mfr's website.

    UAPSD = Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery

    If you can't find anything, I'd try power save mode = off.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Aug 22, 2009