    Software included with high-end memory sticks sold by Sony can make
    personal computers vulnerable to attack by computer hackers, according
    to researchers with two Internet security firms.

    Squiggle, Aug 30, 2007

  2. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > http://stuff.co.nz/4184058a28.html
    >
    > More hidden software woes for Sony
    > Reuters | Thursday, 30 August 2007
    >
    > Software included with high-end memory sticks sold by Sony can make
    > personal computers vulnerable to attack by computer hackers, according
    > to researchers with two Internet security firms.

    So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    sam, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Squiggle

    lolinternet Guest

    sam wrote:

    > So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    > excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    Digital video cameras would come with a driver/installation CD.
    Guarantee that would install it (if it didn't cause a BSoD on every
    shutdown like the last one I dealt with).

    Hope the headphones don't come with a manual on CD ;-)

    lolinternet, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    lolinternet wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    > Digital video cameras would come with a driver/installation CD.
    > Guarantee that would install it (if it didn't cause a BSoD on every
    > shutdown like the last one I dealt with).
    >
    > Hope the headphones don't come with a manual on CD ;-)

    Hehe, even the worst of the gene pool usually manage to figure out L
    means left and R means right on headphones... even i managed it! kthxbye ;)

    Squiggle, Aug 30, 2007
  5. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    lolinternet wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    > Digital video cameras would come with a driver/installation CD.
    > Guarantee that would install it

    Can you cite an instance of this happening ?

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-30, sam <> wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> http://stuff.co.nz/4184058a28.html
    >>
    >> More hidden software woes for Sony
    >> Reuters | Thursday, 30 August 2007
    >>
    >> Software included with high-end memory sticks sold by Sony can make
    >> personal computers vulnerable to attack by computer hackers, according
    >> to researchers with two Internet security firms.

    > So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    > excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    How would it not? As in do you know that Sony has not given you more than
    you thought you purchased

    Gordon, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-08-30, sam <> wrote:
    >> Squiggle wrote:
    >>> http://stuff.co.nz/4184058a28.html
    >>>
    >>> More hidden software woes for Sony
    >>> Reuters | Thursday, 30 August 2007
    >>>
    >>> Software included with high-end memory sticks sold by Sony can make
    >>> personal computers vulnerable to attack by computer hackers, according
    >>> to researchers with two Internet security firms.

    >> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    > How would it not? As in do you know that Sony has not given you more than
    > you thought you purchased

    How would I be sure with any other brand ?

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  8. Squiggle

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:

    >>> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >>> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    >> How would it not? As in do you know that Sony has not given you more than
    >> you thought you purchased

    > How would I be sure with any other brand ?

    The track record of the company would be a good indicator.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 30, 2007
  9. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> How would it not? As in do you know that Sony has not given you more than
    >>> you thought you purchased

    >> How would I be sure with any other brand ?

    > The track record of the company would be a good indicator.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  10. Squiggle

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> sam wrote:

    >>> How would I be sure with any other brand ?

    >> The track record of the company would be a good indicator.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    > connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    > scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    > fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    > I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    > there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    > from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    > ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    > Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.

    It depends how strongly you feel about a company shitting over their
    customers.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 30, 2007
  11. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> The track record of the company would be a good indicator.
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    >> connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    >> scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    >> fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    >> I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    >> there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    >> from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    >> ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    >> Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.

    > It depends how strongly you feel about a company shitting over their
    > customers.
    >
    > Allistar.

    I think that is anthropomorphizing a corporate body a little too much ;-)

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  12. Squiggle

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> sam wrote:

    >>> Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    >>> connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    >>> scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    >>> fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    >>> I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    >>> there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    >>> from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    >>> ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    >>> Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.

    >> It depends how strongly you feel about a company shitting over their
    >> customers.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I think that is anthropomorphizing a corporate body a little too much ;-)

    Perhaps, but I tend to vote with my wallet when it comes to businesses that
    don't show respect to me as a customer. I don't think that's being
    a "kneejerker", it's simply market forces at work.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 30, 2007
  13. In article <46d697a8$>, says...

    > Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    > connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    > scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    > fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    > I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    > there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    > from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    > ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    > Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.

    Au contraire. It's the intelligent person's way of voting with their wallet.
    It's possibly the only way to get those arseholes at Sony to change their ways
    (and if they don't get it, good riddance to bad rubbish).

    If you're happy being a sheeple, so be it.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 30, 2007
  14. Squiggle

    impossible Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <46d697a8$>, says...
    >>
    >> Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    >> connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    >> scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    >> fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    >> I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    >> there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    >> from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    >> ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    >> Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.
    >>

    > Au contraire. It's the intelligent person's way of voting with their
    > wallet.
    > It's possibly the only way to get those arseholes at Sony to change their
    > ways
    > (and if they don't get it, good riddance to bad rubbish).

    And when you "vote" by boycotting all Sony products, you communicate your
    views on DRM how exactly? What makes you think Sony execs won't attribute
    the loss of your custom to price, packaging, or some other disconnected
    issue?

    impossible, Aug 30, 2007
  15. Squiggle

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > lolinternet wrote:
    >> sam wrote:
    >>
    >>> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >>> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    >> Digital video cameras would come with a driver/installation CD.
    >> Guarantee that would install it (if it didn't cause a BSoD on every
    >> shutdown like the last one I dealt with).
    >>
    >> Hope the headphones don't come with a manual on CD ;-)

    > Hehe, even the worst of the gene pool usually manage to figure out L
    > means left and R means right on headphones... even i managed it!
    > kthxbye ;)

    The last headphones I bought only fit one way comfortably and had no
    manual and the only illustration that would have useful was covered by
    the shop price sticker :)

    I just use em and they work! I was temped to use google but I resisted
    :p They were not Sony product.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 30, 2007
  16. Hi there,

    lolinternet wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> So how would this affect me if I wanted to buy a pair of Sony's
    >> excellent headphones, or perhaps one of their digital video cameras ?

    > Digital video cameras would come with a driver/installation CD.
    > Guarantee that would install it (if it didn't cause a BSoD on every
    > shutdown like the last one I dealt with).
    >
    > Hope the headphones don't come with a manual on CD ;-)

    I'm using Linux so virus/malware etc are not going to be an issue
    with the Sony software, but accessing my Sony camcorder is the same
    as accessing any other USB2 device - just plug it into a USB port
    and access it from Windows Explorer (or equivalent file manager in
    your chosen OS)...

    No need to even install the Sony software, and looking at it the
    software provides nothing I'd find useful.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 30, 2007
  17. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <46d697a8$>, says...
    >> Its a kind of superstitious though isn't it to assume that there is some
    >> connection between the Sony BMG Music Entertainment and their crap DRM
    >> scheme, and Sony Electronics and a disputed method of obscuring the
    >> fingerprint data for their fingerprint detecting thumb drive.
    >> I've got the odd Sony CD player, Vaio laptop etc, and I can't see that
    >> there are any consequences for those pieces of equipment that follow
    >> from the fingerprint drive or the DRM.
    >> ie its not " Another Reason to Avoid All Sony Products".
    >> Thats just some ignorant kneejerker's overreaction.
    >>

    > Au contraire. It's the intelligent person's way of voting with their wallet.
    > It's possibly the only way to get those arseholes at Sony to change their ways
    > (and if they don't get it, good riddance to bad rubbish).
    >
    > If you're happy being a sheeple, so be it.
    >
    > -P.

    So everyone at Sony is an arsehole because of the bad design of some
    fingerprint drive software ?
    Sounds more like you are the lynch mob than me.

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  18. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Perhaps, but I tend to vote with my wallet when it comes to businesses that
    > don't show respect to me as a customer. I don't think that's being
    > a "kneejerker", it's simply market forces at work.
    >
    > Allistar.

    To be consistent then, you will no longer use any CD technology because
    a license is paid to Sony, or use a SP/DIF interface.
    You won't buy any digital camera with a Sony CCD in it, or computer with
    a Sony battery in it, you won't buy any of the new generation Sony /
    Samsung LCD screens, you will exclude 22% of recorded music and a large
    proportion of television and film media. Oh and don't watch any sports
    or news on TV, it is all captured by Sony cameras.

    I'd rather just take note of the advisory and not buy a Microvault
    thumbdrive, than go overboard with a Sony boycott.

    sam, Aug 30, 2007
  19. In article <46d73303$>, says...

    > So everyone at Sony is an arsehole because of the bad design of some
    > fingerprint drive software ?
    > Sounds more like you are the lynch mob than me.

    Either you're being just plain dumb, or you're disingenuous. The arseholes of
    course are the managers who make the decisions about installing rootkits, to
    put copy protection on cds that prevent them from being played on misc.devices
    et cetera.
    The guys with the share options, presumably.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 31, 2007
  20. In article <jPCBi.80641$Fc.69996@attbi_s21>, says...

    > And when you "vote" by boycotting all Sony products, you communicate your
    > views on DRM how exactly? What makes you think Sony execs won't attribute
    > the loss of your custom to price, packaging, or some other disconnected
    > issue?

    Well EMI heard the message, for instance. I am sure the guys at Sony could, if
    they wanted to, but they've apparently made up their minds to got the other way
    and shit on their customers.

    So, no, I absolutely won't buy a Sony shlepptop, digicam, or entertainment
    product. Fuckem, I say, there are plenty others who will treat me with respect.
    I have had personal bad experience of Sony's machinations and I don't feel the
    urge to go back and give them more of my money.
    That's how I deal, if somebody screws with me, they no longer get my business -
    and that applies from earth moving contractors to timber yards to computer
    shops to whiteware manufacturers. I raise the issue and if I don't get
    satisfaction I pay my bill, I smile, I walk out and never come back, and I tell
    everybody I know about my experience.
    If more people acted like that, and spread information about bad deals/dealers,
    then maybe there would be fewer shady operators and rogue elephants about. But
    I know damn well that there are enough sheeple out there that ultimately this
    idea won't work, ever. I'm not that naive ;-)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 31, 2007