    screen with this message "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND".

    Is there any possibility that I can save my files, or should I just give up
    hope and toss the computer?

    onquest, Mar 2, 2004

  2. onquest

    slick Guest

    Don't toss it, send it to me, it may be worth a few bucks dead, just
    kidding. Well judging by this and your last post, you did indeed have a
    power surge. The cheap power surge protectors really aren't very strong.
    Get a high quality APC UPS (maybe someone can help him out here). The
    computer may not be completely lost, there are some solutions that can get
    her going or at least give access to files. Try to boot to a command
    prompt, use a good boot disk (www.bootdisk.com) for CD-ROM capability unless
    you know all the parameters of mscdex :). Anyway, get to the prompt and do
    a "DIR /P". That will tell you if the files are still accessible. If that
    works and you see files, go back to the prompt and try to reinstall the OS.
    If that fails go to the prompt if possible again try to reinstall the OS
    from the CD.

    slick, Mar 2, 2004