    another vista operating system? Any and all info would be greatly appriciated
    as I am very new to this.

    Thank you in advance

    Mike, May 13, 2008

  2. No.

    Only retail copies of Vista entitle the user to both the x86 and x64 dvds.

    The product key for your preinstalled Vista is specific to that copy and
    will not work with a retail dvd.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 13, 2008

  3. Mike

    S.SubZero Guest

    The product key that is used for OEM 32-bit Vista (OEM meaning the
    Vista computer makers provide to customers) cannot be used on the 64-
    bit Vista.

    The retail, boxed Vista you get at the store does have a key that is
    compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit.

    S.SubZero, May 13, 2008
  4. Mike

    XS11E Guest

    Mike <> wrote:

    > I currently have x32 vista that came with my laptop and would like
    > to upgrade to x64 vista. Is there any way to do this without
    > having to buy another vista operating system?

    Probably not but it can't hurt to contact the manufacturer of your
    laptop and ask, the worst that can happen is they'll say "No."

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, May 13, 2008
  5. Yes, good point. They might, at the least, offer to sell you the x64 version
    at a better price than you'd find from someone else. Certainly never hurts
    to ask.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64