Another poll! - TCM '04

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jay Stewart, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Jay Stewart

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > This time, realizing that trying to tie in AOL might not be the smart
    > idea Warner thought it was last year, Turner Classic Movies's website is
    > opening up the voting on next years classic-movie "DVD Decision" to
    > *normal* web users this time:
    > http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/dvddecision
    >
    > The choices (vote for 5):

    > - Ice Station Zebra (1968)
    > - Ivanhoe (Elizabeth Taylor, 1952)
    > - Kansas City Bomber (Raquel Welch, 1972)
    > - Operation Crossbow (1965)

    These are ones I'd really like to see again, in pristine presentation - I'm
    sure there are plenty of folks to throw their support behind the other fine
    films on this list.
    Jay Stewart, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Finally, some progress on Greed. This better be a winner.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 6, 2004

  3. This time, realizing that trying to tie in AOL might not be the smart
    idea Warner thought it was last year, Turner Classic Movies's website is
    opening up the voting on next years classic-movie "DVD Decision" to
    *normal* web users this time:
    http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/dvddecision

    The choices (vote for 5):
    - All Fall Down (d/Frankenheimer, 1962)
    - Bathing Beauty (Esther Williams, 1944)
    - Captain of the Clouds (James Cagney, 1942)
    - Dive Bomber (Errol Flynn, 1941)
    - Edge of the City (d/Martin Ritt, 1957)
    - Greed [4-hr TCM restored broadcast] (1927)
    - I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)
    - Ice Station Zebra (1968)
    - International Velvet (Tatum O'Neal, 1978)
    - Ivanhoe (Elizabeth Taylor, 1952)
    - Kansas City Bomber (Raquel Welch, 1972)
    - King Solomon's Mines (Stewart Granger, 1950)
    - The Letter (Bette Davis, 1940)
    - Lust for Life (1956)
    - Operation Crossbow (1965)
    - Party Girl (1958)
    - Random Harvest (1942)
    - The Search (1948)
    - The Shoes of the Fisherman (1968)
    - Test Pilot (1938)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Finally, some progress on Greed. This better be a winner.

    The good thing about Warner is that this is likely to be the restoration
    airing on TCM--
    Complete with whole missing plot-section summaries restored with photos
    and intertitles, a la "Lost World".

    (And yes, we will probably have whiners asking why Warner couldn't
    create the 9-hr. version of thin air, but the 4-hr.'s pretty impressive
    as it is.)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 6, 2004