  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    RichA, Sep 16, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    >Does that mean you might actually buy one?

    No, but he might stop whining about that particular DSLR. ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 16, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 16, 12:20 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    > Does that mean you might actually buy one?

    I don't know. I have a D300. It would have to be a substantial step-
    up.

    RichA, Sep 16, 2010
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Sep 16, 12:20 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    >wrote:
    >> On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >> > The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    >> Does that mean you might actually buy one?

    >I don't know. I have a D300. It would have to be a substantial step-
    >up.

    It is, but a D300 replacement is coming, as is a D700 replacement.
    Perhaps not in 2010, but certainly within a year from now. In the
    meantime, the D7000 is a step up from the D300 only in resolution
    (16.2 MP versus 12.3 MP) and in video capability (1080P versus none).
    I suspect video isn't all that important to you if you use a D300, so
    there is only the resolution, and that might be complicated by greater
    noise. The D300 has particularly low noise for an APS-C sensor so we
    will have to see whether the D7000 has taken a step backwards due to
    cramming almost 4 million more pixels into the same area.

    Bruce, Sep 16, 2010
  5. RichA

    Peter Guest

    > On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    > Does that mean you might actually buy one?

    There is a better chance of me winning the New York Marathon

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Sep 16, 2010
  6. On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:07:32 -0400, Bowser wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:53:59 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    > Only the top and bottom plates. The rest is plastic.

    Doesn't look like that here:

    From the dpreview preview:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1009/nikond7000/D7000_Mgbody_2_l.jpg

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Reilly, Sep 17, 2010
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:30:49 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >>> The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    >> Does that mean you might actually buy one?
    >>

    >There is a better chance of me winning the New York Marathon

    I have entered several New York Marathons. All built by the Checker
    Motors Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 17, 2010
  8. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:30:49 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Does that mean you might actually buy one?
    >>>

    >>There is a better chance of me winning the New York Marathon

    > I have entered several New York Marathons. All built by the Checker
    > Motors Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

    <G>

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Sep 17, 2010
  9. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 17/09/2010 3:55 a.m., Bruce wrote:
    > RichA<> wrote:
    >> On Sep 16, 12:20 am, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Does that mean you might actually buy one?

    >> I don't know. I have a D300. It would have to be a substantial step-
    >> up.

    > It is, but a D300 replacement is coming, as is a D700 replacement.
    > Perhaps not in 2010, but certainly within a year from now. In the
    > meantime, the D7000 is a step up from the D300 only in resolution
    > (16.2 MP versus 12.3 MP) and in video capability (1080P versus none).
    > I suspect video isn't all that important to you if you use a D300, so
    > there is only the resolution, and that might be complicated by greater
    > noise. The D300 has particularly low noise for an APS-C sensor so we
    > will have to see whether the D7000 has taken a step backwards due to
    > cramming almost 4 million more pixels into the same area.

    It appears that latest Nikon sensors may not involve Sony at all - geeks
    looking at the chips can't identify things which identified the
    D90/300/s sensors as Sony production, even if Nikon design.
    I doubt this sensor will be a step backwards in any way, and especially
    in read noise / base ISO DR, where Nikon have been excelling -
    particularly kicking Canon's butt on pattern noise.

    Me, Sep 17, 2010
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Andrew Reilly <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:07:32 -0400, Bowser wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:53:59 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

    >> Only the top and bottom plates. The rest is plastic.

    >Doesn't look like that here:
    >
    >From the dpreview preview:
    >http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1009/nikond7000/D7000_Mgbody_2_l.jpg

    Either way, it is a thin skin of magnesium/aluminum alloy over a
    polycarbonate body structure.

    It is to give people like RichA the illusion that they have a
    metal-bodied camera, when the trust is that they have a plastic-bodied
    camera with a thin metal shell glued to it.

    These magnesium alloy-shelled plastic-bodied cameras are a very long
    way from the metal body/metal chassis SLRs of the 1960s and 70s. But
    it is possible to fool some people all the time ... just cover up the
    plastic with some thin metal, and some people think you have a modern
    version of the Pentax Spotmatic or Nikon F. ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 17, 2010
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:50:58 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Either way, it is a thin skin of magnesium/aluminum alloy over a
    >>polycarbonate body structure.
    >>
    >>It is to give people like RichA the illusion that they have a
    >>metal-bodied camera, when the trust is that they have a plastic-bodied
    >>camera with a thin metal shell glued to it.
    >>
    >>These magnesium alloy-shelled plastic-bodied cameras are a very long
    >>way from the metal body/metal chassis SLRs of the 1960s and 70s. But
    >>it is possible to fool some people all the time ... just cover up the
    >>plastic with some thin metal, and some people think you have a modern
    >>version of the Pentax Spotmatic or Nikon F. ;-)
    >>

    >Yet structurally the combination might surpass the performance of both
    >materials when used independently. This is why some car bodies and other
    >items are constructed with a metal layer over plastics, and vice-versa, to
    >make them nearly dent-proof with greater structural integrity.

    Agree 100%. I was just pointing out RichA's ridiculous assertions of
    the alleged superiority of all-metal construction, when it is in fact
    a very thin alloy skin over plastic.

    >You all just
    >love to assume so much about things with which you have no experience
    >whatsoever. Then others equally ignorant mindlessly parrot it like they are
    >some kind of now well-known facts. There should be a new word to define
    >this behavior. Perhaps something like "blignorance". For the bliss attained
    >while in a state of ignorance by psychotically assuming one is correct.
    >These newsgroups are crawling wall-to-wall with people displaying this
    >behavior.

    Why do you - repeatedly - have to spoil what could have been an
    intelligent and well-reasoned contribution to a discussion by
    obsessive personal attacks and insults that are so often misdirected?
    Perhaps you are equally as afraid of people agreeing with you as
    arguing with you.

    Either way, your gratuitous insults devalue (to zero) what once had a
    chance of being a genuinely useful contribution to these photo
    newsgroups.

    Bruce, Sep 17, 2010
  12. RichA

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 17/09/2010 16:07, Superzooms Still Win wrote:

    > "Belief is not the beginning but the end of all knowledge." - Johann
    > Wolfgang von Goethe
    >
    > I, for one, refuse to give up on knowledge by just assuming a belief that
    > all others agree on, because it's so much more convenient for them that
    > way. Their bliss of self-induced ignorance borne of lazy minds and spirits.

    So, before posting here, you have made sure that you can rebuild from
    plain sand and other minerals all the computers used to make your prose
    available here (starting with your own) as well rewrite all the
    necessary software and redemonstrate all the math involved... So where
    are your first posts in Morse code?

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Sep 17, 2010
  13. On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:43:32 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 17/09/2010 16:07, Superzooms Still Win wrote:
    >
    >> "Belief is not the beginning but the end of all knowledge." - Johann
    >> Wolfgang von Goethe
    >>
    >> I, for one, refuse to give up on knowledge by just assuming a belief that
    >> all others agree on, because it's so much more convenient for them that
    >> way. Their bliss of self-induced ignorance borne of lazy minds and spirits.

    >So, before posting here, you have made sure that you can rebuild from
    >plain sand and other minerals all the computers used to make your prose
    >available here (starting with your own) as well rewrite all the
    >necessary software and redemonstrate all the math involved... So where
    >are your first posts in Morse code?

    Oh look, a troll idiot assuming that just because it's software or a
    computer that it's always going to work just because you believe it will.

    Got any other pea-brained flea-bitten analogies that you can pull out of
    your ass?

    Superzooms Still Win, Sep 17, 2010
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:35:14 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >>Why do you - repeatedly - have to spoil what could have been an
    >>intelligent and well-reasoned contribution to a discussion by
    >>obsessive personal attacks and insults that are so often misdirected?
    >>Perhaps you are equally as afraid of people agreeing with you as
    >>arguing with you.

    >Not misdirected. The "you" in my above comment is being directed to all in
    >these newsgroups. Hence, the "You all ..." opener.
    >
    >Worse than having someone disagree with you is having them agree with you.
    >I neither want nor need anyone agreeing with me in life. There's nothing
    >worse in the world than encouraging people into becoming just more mindless
    >followers. I never assume something to be true just because people agree.
    >This is precisely how I found out what total idiots write up the reviews at
    >dpreview. Not to mention the supreme folly of "dslr superiority". By doing
    >my own independent tests and not becoming just another mindless follower
    >parroting the biased stupidity and ignorance of others--no matter how much
    >of an "x-spurt" that they themselves or others might claim them to be. They
    >could have twenty sheepskins on their wall and they still might be complete
    >morons. I've met people like that during my travels in life. Only when I
    >have removed all doubt, on my own, independently of all others, can I be
    >99% certain of what I claim. I welcome the person who might have the
    >missing 1% to prove me wrong, so I am then forced to reconsider my
    >near-certain assessment with further research. People with the intellect
    >and experience capable of providing that missing 1% of information that
    >could make me reconsider what I have discovered on my own are far and few
    >between, nearly non-existent.
    >
    >"Belief is not the beginning but the end of all knowledge." - Johann
    >Wolfgang von Goethe
    >
    >I, for one, refuse to give up on knowledge by just assuming a belief that
    >all others agree on, because it's so much more convenient for them that
    >way. Their bliss of self-induced ignorance borne of lazy minds and spirits.

    Well, I tried. :-(

    Bruce, Sep 17, 2010
  15. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:05:21 -0500, Superzooms Still Win <>
    wrote:
    : Yet structurally the combination might surpass the performance of both
    : materials when used independently. This is why some car bodies and other
    : items are constructed with a metal layer over plastics, and vice-versa,
    : to make them nearly dent-proof with greater structural integrity. You
    : all just love to assume so much about things with which you have no
    : experience whatsoever. Then others equally ignorant mindlessly parrot
    : it like they are some kind of now well-known facts. There should be a
    : new word to define this behavior. Perhaps something like "blignorance".
    : For the bliss attained while in a state of ignorance by psychotically
    : assuming one is correct. These newsgroups are crawling wall-to-wall
    : with people displaying this behavior.

    Supy manages to work the term "psychotic" into virtually every post nowsdays.
    I wonder if it means that he's starting to listen to his headshrinker.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 19, 2010