Another Pentax K10D question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. Having recently gotten some very helpful replies to an earlier
    question re this camera (new to me), I thought I'd see if anyone has a
    suggestion to this one.

    Since I use this camera primarily in very long telephoto shots, like
    thru a spotting scope, etc., focus of the scope plus the camera is
    quite critical. And that tiny little viewfinder is far less than
    adequate for this degree of criticality, especially for someone
    wearing prescription eyeglasses. The same degree of critical focusing
    exists when I use one of several Nikon CoolPix cameras, but with them
    I've learned to take the Video out to a portable battery powered TV
    for more precise evaluation of the focus. Much to my disappointment,
    I discovered this DSLR (as with most DSLRs) does not allow Video out
    except in Playback mode. Thus, it's useless for a focusing aid.

    Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
    can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

    Pentax are you listening, too?

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Olin K. McDaniel

    Alex Monro Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

    > Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    > that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    > that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    > this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    > After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
    > can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

    The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    upgrade.

    However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.

    See here:
    http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

    Alex Monro, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Olin K. McDaniel

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

    >Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    >that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    >that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    >this feature with it?

    I don't think it can be done with video out but connecting the camera
    to a laptop computer and using the Pentax Remote Assistant software
    may do what you want.

    --
    Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    www.robertstech.com

    Mark Roberts, Sep 25, 2007
  4. On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:18:20 +0100, Alex Monro
    <> wrote:

    >Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >

    >> Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    >> that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    >> that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    >> this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    >> After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
    >> can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?
    >>

    >The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    >design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    >focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    >upgrade.
    >
    >However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.
    >
    >See here:
    >http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

    Thanks, Alex,

    Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
    upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
    which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
    believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted. I followed up and
    tried out what he described this morning.

    Turns out, there is a feature in both these models called "Digital
    Preview", and I had failed to examine it in the 3 months since owning
    mine. This feature ALMOST gives me what I want, but it's really what
    I call a "Trial and Error" method, NOT one that allows continuously
    seeing the changes made while manually focusing the lens (this being
    the spotting scope, while the camera is set to Infinity). That's the
    way I shoot all my stuff thru this scope, BTW. This "Digital Preview"
    really is their trick for one to shoot a pic, without recording it
    onto the memory card, but allowing you up to 60 seconds to examine it
    on the LCD screen. It does have a plus, in that while you are
    examining it, you can enlarge or zoom up to see the details. That's
    all well and good, IF the subject doesn't change position, or worse,
    leave the area while you are messing with the focus and taking the
    trial shots until satisfied.

    Maybe Pentax cannot revise their firmware to provide what I need, but
    they already come close. The mirror is up, etc. and I'm doing all the
    focusing myself. The camera isn't having to do that. So I wonder if
    carrying their feature a little further is unattainable?

    Olin

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 25, 2007
  5. On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:32:17 GMT, Mark Roberts <>
    wrote:

    >Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >
    >>Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    >>that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    >>that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    >>this feature with it?

    >I don't think it can be done with video out but connecting the camera
    >to a laptop computer and using the Pentax Remote Assistant software
    >may do what you want.
    >

    >--
    >Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    >www.robertstech.com
    >412-687-2835

    Thanks Mark

    Please see my other post, responding to this subject, just sent out a
    couple of moments ago.

    I have an ancient laptop, which needs its battery replaced, but other
    than that it should work. I say should, haven't messed with it in
    over 2 years, though. I'm not familiar with the Pentax Remote
    Assistant software, but will look for it. Any suggestion there will
    be appreciated.

    Olin

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Olin K. McDaniel

    Somebody Guest

    "Alex Monro" <> wrote in message
    > Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >

    >> Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    >> that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    >> that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    >> this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    >> After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
    >> can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?
    >>

    > The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    > design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    > focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    > upgrade.
    >
    > However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.
    >
    > See here:
    > http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

    What exactly do these do that the one that comes in the camera doesn't?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

    Somebody!

    Somebody, Sep 26, 2007
  7. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Somebody <> wrote:

    > "Alex Monro" <> wrote in message
    > > Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    > >
    > >> Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    > >> that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    > >> that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    > >> this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    > >> After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why can't
    > >> the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

    > > The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    > > design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    > > focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    > > upgrade.
    > >
    > > However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.
    > >
    > > See here:
    > > http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

    > What exactly do these do that the one that comes in the camera doesn't?
    > Inquiring minds want to know.

    You get mircoprism and split-prism focusing, which the cameras in
    question don't have. It makes it easier to do accurate manual focussing.

    Which, of course, has nothing to do with anything anyone was talking
    about. :)

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 26, 2007
  8. Olin K. McDaniel

    Somebody Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > Somebody <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Alex Monro" <> wrote in message

    >> > The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    >> > design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    >> > focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    >> > upgrade.
    >> >
    >> > However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > See here:
    >> > http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

    >> What exactly do these do that the one that comes in the camera doesn't?
    >> Inquiring minds want to know.

    > You get mircoprism and split-prism focusing, which the cameras in
    > question don't have. It makes it easier to do accurate manual focussing.
    >
    > Which, of course, has nothing to do with anything anyone was talking
    > about. :)
    >
    > --
    > http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Thanks for the info.

    Somebody!

    Somebody, Sep 26, 2007
  9. On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:27:37 GMT, (Olin K.
    McDaniel) wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:18:20 +0100, Alex Monro
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >>

    >>> Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
    >>> that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
    >>> that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
    >>> this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
    >>> After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
    >>> can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?
    >>>

    >>The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
    >>design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
    >>focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
    >>upgrade.
    >>
    >>However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.
    >>
    >>See here:
    >>http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html
    >>

    >Thanks, Alex,
    >
    >Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
    >upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
    >which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
    >believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted. I followed up and
    >tried out what he described this morning.
    >
    >Turns out, there is a feature in both these models called "Digital
    >Preview", and I had failed to examine it in the 3 months since owning
    >mine. This feature ALMOST gives me what I want, but it's really what
    >I call a "Trial and Error" method, NOT one that allows continuously
    >seeing the changes made while manually focusing the lens (this being
    >the spotting scope, while the camera is set to Infinity). That's the
    >way I shoot all my stuff thru this scope, BTW. This "Digital Preview"
    >really is their trick for one to shoot a pic, without recording it
    >onto the memory card, but allowing you up to 60 seconds to examine it
    >on the LCD screen. It does have a plus, in that while you are
    >examining it, you can enlarge or zoom up to see the details. That's
    >all well and good, IF the subject doesn't change position, or worse,
    >leave the area while you are messing with the focus and taking the
    >trial shots until satisfied.
    >
    >Maybe Pentax cannot revise their firmware to provide what I need, but
    >they already come close. The mirror is up, etc. and I'm doing all the
    >focusing myself. The camera isn't having to do that. So I wonder if
    >carrying their feature a little further is unattainable?

    Sure it is.

    Nearly every P&S camera has that feature. Putting it into a dslr with all the
    immensely useful P&S viewfinder capabilities intact and functional is a whole
    other matter though. Can your live-preview display the motion-blur of slow
    shutter-speed effects? Or show you the crisp outlines of a hummingbird's wings
    or helicopter blade as you crank up the shutter speed fast enough to stop their
    motion? Can it automatically gain up the brightness in extremely low-light
    settings to help with focusing and composition in conditions far dimmer than can
    be seen in any optical viewfinder, or to show you DOF effects without having to
    dim the display beyond use while pushing an extra button? If not, then it can't
    do what nearly all P&S cameras can do all the time.

    I suppose in a few generations they'll make dslrs just as capable and
    feature-packed as P&S cameras, one day. You can only hope. But they'll probably
    charge you over $10,000 for what has already been available on every $500 or
    less P&S camera for many many years now.

    <walking away, shaking head, from silly dslr people ....>

    Ah .... back to the land of sanity .....

    Benton Harper, Sep 26, 2007
  10. Olin K. McDaniel

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

    >I have an ancient laptop, which needs its battery replaced, but other
    >than that it should work. I say should, haven't messed with it in
    >over 2 years, though. I'm not familiar with the Pentax Remote
    >Assistant software, but will look for it. Any suggestion there will
    >be appreciated.

    The software can be found at
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_software?softId=8793673
    (about half way down the page)

    Your K10D will need to have firmware v1.30 (download that at
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=8793673
    if your camera has earlier firmware)

    Mark Roberts, Sep 26, 2007
  11. Olin K. McDaniel

    John Turco Guest

    "Olin K. McDaniel" wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
    > upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
    > which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
    > believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted.

    <edited>

    Hello, Olin:

    Other than its higher megapixel count (10.2 vs 6.1), the K10D enjoys
    these advantages, over the K100D:

    dust and weather sealing

    dust reduction & removal

    Supersonic motor compatibility

    dedicated RAW button

    "PRIME" image processor

    22-bit ADC

    DDR2 buffer RAM

    faster continuous shooting mode

    ISO 100

    Lithium-Ion D-LI50 rechargeable battery and charger

    (Okay, whether that last one is truly an "advantage" may be subjective,
    I guess; I prefer the K100D's use of four AA cells, personally.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 28, 2007
  12. Olin K. McDaniel

    Pete D Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > "Olin K. McDaniel" wrote:
    >
    > <heavily edited, for brevity>
    >
    >> Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
    >> upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
    >> which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
    >> believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted.

    > <edited>
    >
    > Hello, Olin:
    >
    > Other than its higher megapixel count (10.2 vs 6.1), the K10D enjoys
    > these advantages, over the K100D:
    >
    > dust and weather sealing
    >
    > dust reduction & removal
    >
    > Supersonic motor compatibility
    >
    > dedicated RAW button
    >
    > "PRIME" image processor
    >
    > 22-bit ADC
    >
    > DDR2 buffer RAM
    >
    > faster continuous shooting mode
    >
    > ISO 100
    >
    > Lithium-Ion D-LI50 rechargeable battery and charger
    >
    > (Okay, whether that last one is truly an "advantage" may be subjective,
    > I guess; I prefer the K100D's use of four AA cells, personally.)

    I have a DS and a K10D and much prefer the battery systen in the K10D, I
    always thought the AAs were an advantage but I now run the DS on non
    rechargable CR-V3s or Eneloops and bought a couple of NP-400 batteries for
    the K10D, it is easy with these packs.

    Pete D, Sep 28, 2007
  13. "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > "Olin K. McDaniel" wrote:
    >
    > <heavily edited, for brevity>
    >
    >> Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
    >> upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
    >> which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
    >> believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted.

    > <edited>
    >
    > Hello, Olin:
    >
    > Other than its higher megapixel count (10.2 vs 6.1), the K10D enjoys
    > these advantages, over the K100D:
    >
    > dust and weather sealing
    >
    > dust reduction & removal
    >
    > Supersonic motor compatibility
    >
    > dedicated RAW button
    >
    > "PRIME" image processor
    >
    > 22-bit ADC
    >
    > DDR2 buffer RAM
    >
    > faster continuous shooting mode
    >
    > ISO 100
    >
    > Lithium-Ion D-LI50 rechargeable battery and charger
    >
    > (Okay, whether that last one is truly an "advantage" may be subjective,
    > I guess; I prefer the K100D's use of four AA cells, personally.)
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    And better image stabilization. This confirmed by a recent article in
    Popular Photography.

    Somebody!

    S o m e b o d y !, Sep 28, 2007
  14. S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    >> "Olin K. McDaniel" wrote:
    >>
    >> <heavily edited, for brevity>
    >>
    >>> Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I
    >>> happened upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a
    >>> Pentax K100D which is a less expensive (and less featured version
    >>> of this K10D I believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted.

    >> <edited>
    >>
    >> Hello, Olin:
    >>
    >> Other than its higher megapixel count (10.2 vs 6.1), the K10D enjoys
    >> these advantages, over the K100D:
    >>
    >> dust and weather sealing
    >>
    >> dust reduction & removal
    >>
    >> Supersonic motor compatibility
    >>
    >> dedicated RAW button
    >>
    >> "PRIME" image processor
    >>
    >> 22-bit ADC
    >>
    >> DDR2 buffer RAM
    >>
    >> faster continuous shooting mode
    >>
    >> ISO 100
    >>
    >> Lithium-Ion D-LI50 rechargeable battery and charger
    >>
    >> (Okay, whether that last one is truly an "advantage" may be
    >> subjective, I guess; I prefer the K100D's use of four AA cells,
    >> personally.) Cordially,
    >> John Turco <>

    > And better image stabilization. This confirmed by a recent article in
    > Popular Photography.
    >
    > Somebody!

    Better than what?

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2007
  15. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:ktnLi.22458$...
    >S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    >> "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Olin K. McDaniel" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <heavily edited, for brevity>

    >>> <edited>
    >>>
    >>> Hello, Olin:
    >>>
    >>> Other than its higher megapixel count (10.2 vs 6.1), the K10D enjoys
    >>> these advantages, over the K100D:
    >>>
    >>> dust and weather sealing
    >>>
    >>> dust reduction & removal
    >>>
    >>> Supersonic motor compatibility
    >>>
    >>> dedicated RAW button
    >>>
    >>> "PRIME" image processor
    >>>
    >>> 22-bit ADC
    >>>
    >>> DDR2 buffer RAM
    >>>
    >>> faster continuous shooting mode
    >>>
    >>> ISO 100
    >>>
    >>> Lithium-Ion D-LI50 rechargeable battery and charger
    >>>
    >>> (Okay, whether that last one is truly an "advantage" may be
    >>> subjective, I guess; I prefer the K100D's use of four AA cells,
    >>> personally.) Cordially,
    >>> John Turco <>

    >> And better image stabilization. This confirmed by a recent article in
    >> Popular Photography.
    >>
    >> Somebody!

    > Better than what?

    Well since this was a response about the K100D wouldn't that mean that I was
    talking about the K10D having better image stabilization than the K100D? Try
    reading the posts.

    Somebody!

    S o m e b o d y !, Sep 29, 2007
  16. S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    []
    > Well since this was a response about the K100D wouldn't that mean
    > that I was talking about the K10D having better image stabilization
    > than the K100D? Try reading the posts.
    >
    > Somebody!

    In what respects is the IS better? By how much?

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 30, 2007
  17. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:1MILi.22955$...
    >S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    > []
    >> Well since this was a response about the K100D wouldn't that mean
    >> that I was talking about the K10D having better image stabilization
    >> than the K100D? Try reading the posts.
    >>
    >> Somebody!

    > In what respects is the IS better? By how much?
    >
    > David

    Read the article it is in the current issue.

    Somebody!

    S o m e b o d y !, Sep 30, 2007
  18. S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:1MILi.22955$...
    >> S o m e b o d y ! wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Well since this was a response about the K100D wouldn't that mean
    >>> that I was talking about the K10D having better image stabilization
    >>> than the K100D? Try reading the posts.
    >>>
    >>> Somebody!

    >> In what respects is the IS better? By how much?
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > Read the article it is in the current issue.
    >
    > Somebody!

    Not a rag I take, I'm afraid.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 30, 2007