Another one: TV-out switched from colour to B/W on it`s own

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Willem van der Berg, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Hello ng,

    Here`s another recent problem I find hard to fix.

    I`ve got the 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4400 (nVidia GeForce4 4400 128
    MB), of which I have replaced the noisy cooler with the Zalman ZM80C-HP
    heatpipe passive cooling solution. I have hooked it up using the little
    adapter that came with the graphics card and then standard tulip cables
    from the computer to the TV. I am not really sure how this is officially
    called, but I`m not using the SCART way of doing it.

    Anyway, this setup has worked just fine for years. The image is good and
    in colour. However, in the last few days there`s a problem. While I`m
    watching a movie or something, the image suddenly loses colour and
    switches to black and white! I cannot figure out what is causing this. It
    could have 10 minutes into the movie, it can also happen right before the
    end or not at all. Once I lose colour, I can switch tv-out on and off a
    few times and the colour is back. Just not for long...

    My first thought was that something was wrong with the cables all of
    sudden, which is weird. It also doesn`t explain why I haven`t lost colour
    permanently. Can this be linked to the other problem I have been
    experiencing, the resonance sound and the possible power supply source?
    (see my other post)

    I hope someone can help.

    Regards,
    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Willem van der Berg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Hello ng,
    >|
    >| Here`s another recent problem I find hard to fix.
    >|
    >| I`ve got the 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4400 (nVidia GeForce4 4400 128
    >| MB), of which I have replaced the noisy cooler with the Zalman
    >| ZM80C-HP heatpipe passive cooling solution. I have hooked it up
    >| using the little adapter that came with the graphics card and then
    >| standard tulip cables from the computer to the TV. I am not really
    >| sure how this is officially called, but I`m not using the SCART way
    >| of doing it.
    >|
    >| Anyway, this setup has worked just fine for years. The image is good
    >| and in colour. However, in the last few days there`s a problem.
    >| While I`m watching a movie or something, the image suddenly loses
    >| colour and switches to black and white! I cannot figure out what is
    >| causing this. It could have 10 minutes into the movie, it can also
    >| happen right before the end or not at all. Once I lose colour, I can
    >| switch tv-out on and off a few times and the colour is back. Just
    >| not for long...
    >|
    >| My first thought was that something was wrong with the cables all of
    >| sudden, which is weird. It also doesn`t explain why I haven`t lost
    >| colour permanently. Can this be linked to the other problem I have
    >| been experiencing, the resonance sound and the possible power supply
    >| source? (see my other post)
    >|
    >| I hope someone can help.
    >|
    >| Regards,
    >| Willem

    Try a different TV. Sounds like a heat problem (cold solder joint, flaky
    transistor, etc.) in that unit, not the computer.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 2, 2004

  3. "Willem van der Berg" <> wrote ...
    > Hello ng,
    >
    > Here`s another recent problem I find hard to fix.
    >
    > I`ve got the 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4400 (nVidia GeForce4 4400 128
    > MB), of which I have replaced the noisy cooler with the Zalman ZM80C-HP
    > heatpipe passive cooling solution. I have hooked it up using the little
    > adapter that came with the graphics card and then standard tulip cables
    > from the computer to the TV. I am not really sure how this is officially
    > called, but I`m not using the SCART way of doing it.
    >
    > Anyway, this setup has worked just fine for years. The image is good and
    > in colour. However, in the last few days there`s a problem. While I`m
    > watching a movie or something, the image suddenly loses colour and
    > switches to black and white! I cannot figure out what is causing this. It
    > could have 10 minutes into the movie, it can also happen right before the
    > end or not at all. Once I lose colour, I can switch tv-out on and off a
    > few times and the colour is back. Just not for long...
    >
    > My first thought was that something was wrong with the cables all of
    > sudden, which is weird. It also doesn`t explain why I haven`t lost colour
    > permanently. Can this be linked to the other problem I have been
    > experiencing, the resonance sound and the possible power supply source?
    > (see my other post)

    I have a similar problem with WinFast GF4600Ti
    Restarting the display application (in my case BSplayer) or opening another file
    then opening original file again resolves the problem.
    This isn't file specific nor application specific as I've used several of both.
    I've just learned to live with it.

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 3, 2004
  4. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:07:33 +0100, Use.Netuser.de wrote:
    > I have a similar problem with WinFast GF4600Ti Restarting the display
    > application (in my case BSplayer) or opening another file then opening
    > original file again resolves the problem. This isn't file specific nor
    > application specific as I've used several of both. I've just learned to
    > live with it.

    I also use BSPlayer (small world eh?). In my case it works slightly
    different, I need to switch TV-out on, off, on off etc until I get color
    back. But then it only works for a few minutes. In other words, my entire
    desktop is suddenly B/W.

    Interestingly, the problem seems to have dissapeared together with my
    other problem (see post below). I solved it by opening up my computer case
    and making sure the lose cables are all nicely routed... after that, both
    problems seem to be fixed. Coincidence?

    Regards,
    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 3, 2004
  5. "Willem van der Berg" <> wrote ...
    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:07:33 +0100, Use.Netuser.de wrote:
    > > I have a similar problem with WinFast GF4600Ti Restarting the display
    > > application (in my case BSplayer) or opening another file then opening
    > > original file again resolves the problem. This isn't file specific nor
    > > application specific as I've used several of both. I've just learned to
    > > live with it.

    > I also use BSPlayer (small world eh?). In my case it works slightly
    > different, I need to switch TV-out on, off, on off etc until I get color
    > back. But then it only works for a few minutes. In other words, my entire
    > desktop is suddenly B/W.
    >
    > Interestingly, the problem seems to have dissapeared together with my
    > other problem (see post below). I solved it by opening up my computer case
    > and making sure the lose cables are all nicely routed... after that, both
    > problems seem to be fixed. Coincidence?

    Are you posting in HTML? If so please disable it and post in plain text cos' it's
    hard to read.

    Anyway thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it the cables as this happens
    rarely and switching to another file solves the problem .... that said PC's are not
    an exact science and my fans really need a clean so I'll give it a go.

    Thanks

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 3, 2004