    Bugger several times, could be the end of NZ hosted Usenet.

    Any opinions/comments?

    Basil

    Basil, Jun 21, 2009

  2. Basil

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-21, Basil <> wrote:
    > Xnet's newserver fell over last week. In their own words;
    >
    > "The news server is down indefinitely while it is under review by
    > management. In it's current state it is uneconomical to repair the
    > hardware fault it is currently suffering from."
    >
    > Bugger several times, could be the end of NZ hosted Usenet.
    >
    > Any opinions/comments?

    Usenet will live, but as it was known in the last century. Then mail and
    news is what ISP did offer, as an Internet connection. Now we have the cloud
    forming where somewhere something is happening, albeit slowly on nz
    broadband speeds.

    The Internet never was, and hopefully will remain, structured. People just
    do what they consider to be important. Thus there are twits on twitter.

    Get over it, Usenet is just moving into the cloud. Going global.

    Gordon, Jun 21, 2009

  3. On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:41:42 +1200, Basil <>
    wrote:

    >Xnet's newserver fell over last week. In their own words;
    >
    >"The news server is down indefinitely while it is under review by
    >management. In it's current state it is uneconomical to repair the
    >hardware fault it is currently suffering from."
    >
    >Bugger several times, could be the end of NZ hosted Usenet.
    >
    >Any opinions/comments?
    >
    >Basil

    1. Opportunity for a smaller ISP to brand itself as New Zealand's
    biggest "full service provider".
    2. I wonder what the proportion is these days of googlegroups posts vs
    usenet posts.

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Jun 21, 2009
  4. Basil

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:10:39 +1200, in message <>
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce <> wrote:

    > 2. I wonder what the proportion is these days of googlegroups posts vs
    > usenet posts.

    Google Groups posts to Usenet groups, as a percentage of all posts to Usenet groups

    29.5% -- according to http://www.newsreaders.com/link/clientstats.php?show_details=false

    Google Groups posts to Google's own groups (non-Usenet) vs all posts to Usenet groups

    I do not know of any figures for posts to Google's own groups.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph

    "selre bið æghwæm þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne."
    -- Beowulf.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 21, 2009
  5. In article <>, Basil <> wrote:
    >Xnet's newserver fell over last week. In their own words;
    >
    >"The news server is down indefinitely while it is under review by
    >management. In it's current state it is uneconomical to repair the
    >hardware fault it is currently suffering from."
    >
    >Bugger several times, could be the end of NZ hosted Usenet.
    >
    >Any opinions/comments?

    Last I knew, the actrix news server was still going. Admit I haven't tried
    it for quite a while. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 22, 2009
  6. Basil

    David Empson Guest

    Bruce Sinclair <>
    wrote:

    > In article <>, Basil
    > <> wrote:
    > >Xnet's newserver fell over last week. In their own words;
    > >
    > >"The news server is down indefinitely while it is under review by
    > >management. In it's current state it is uneconomical to repair the
    > >hardware fault it is currently suffering from."
    > >
    > >Bugger several times, could be the end of NZ hosted Usenet.
    > >
    > >Any opinions/comments?

    > Last I knew, the actrix news server was still going. Admit I haven't tried
    > it for quite a while. :)

    Still working for me.

    There is an ongoing problem with posts from certain servers not arriving
    most of the time, which I believe is an issue with some other news
    server poisoning the news distribution by claiming to have an article
    but then not delivering it. Only affecting a small percentage of posts
    so I'm ignoring it.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 22, 2009