    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-4J6Sqk7/0/X2/2014-01-19B-X2.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 23, 2014

  2. Tony Cooper

    sid Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > I have too much time on my hands.

    Go finish tidying the cupboards in your garage!

    --
    sid

    sid, Jan 23, 2014

  3. Tony Cooper

    Ron Guest

    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
    > placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
    > one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
    > re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
    > positioned right in his hand, though.
    >
    > I have too much time on my hands.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-4J6Sqk7/0/X2/2014-01-19B-X2.jpg

    Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow on
    the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Jan 24, 2014
  4. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/23/2014 12:59 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
    > placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
    > one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
    > re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
    > positioned right in his hand, though.
    >
    > I have too much time on my hands.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-4J6Sqk7/0/X2/2014-01-19B-X2.jpg

    Yup! Try putting: the statue behind the net; the racket in his right
    hand, and the ball just coming up to the net, with a motion blur on the
    ball.

    --
    PeterN
    Who also does things like that when my wife starts with the honey do's.

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:40:35 -0800, d (Ron)
    wrote:

    >Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >> Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
    >> placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
    >> one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
    >> re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
    >> positioned right in his hand, though.
    >>
    >> I have too much time on my hands.
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-4J6Sqk7/0/X2/2014-01-19B-X2.jpg

    >Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow on
    >the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

    I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
    tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
    to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
    create a realistic scene.

    Here, I was just bored with the statue photos and practicing some
    basic skills.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  6. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:

    http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 24 Jan 2014 08:57:53 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:

    >> > Ron:
    >> > Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow
    >> > on the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

    >> I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
    >> tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
    >> to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
    >> create a realistic scene.

    >Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
    >
    >http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.

    Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    interesting.

    I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    program to edit the movies.

    As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    a monkey wrench in other countries.

    A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.

    The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  8. Tony Cooper

    Mayayana Guest

    | As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    | that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    | a monkey wrench in other countries.
    |
    | A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    | It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    | and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    |
    | The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    | when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    | tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    | spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

    I know his wrench as an "adjustable wrench" and
    think of a crescent wrench as a non-adjustable
    "spanner". But when I looked it up I see you're correct.
    I've never used the word spanner. But like you I do
    know monkey wrench as a synonym for pipe wrench.

    I guess that's all OK, just so long as you don't
    drink "soda" or "pop" instead of "tonic". :)

    http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

    Mayayana, Jan 24, 2014
  9. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper wrote:

    > As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US
    > and a monkey wrench in other countries.

    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  10. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 9:16 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
    >>> tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
    >>> to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
    >>> create a realistic scene.

    >> Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
    >>
    >> http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    > Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
    >
    > Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    > create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    > making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    > interesting.
    >
    > I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    > make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    > program to edit the movies.
    >
    > As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    > a monkey wrench in other countries.
    >
    > A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    > It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    > and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    >
    > The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    > when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    > tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    > spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

    I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
    BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
    helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  11. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 10:11 AM, Mayayana wrote:
    > | As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > | that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    > | a monkey wrench in other countries.
    > |
    > | A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    > | It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    > | and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    > |
    > | The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    > | when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    > | tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    > | spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.
    > |

    > I know his wrench as an "adjustable wrench" and
    > think of a crescent wrench as a non-adjustable
    > "spanner". But when I looked it up I see you're correct.
    > I've never used the word spanner. But like you I do
    > know monkey wrench as a synonym for pipe wrench.
    >
    > I guess that's all OK, just so long as you don't
    > drink "soda" or "pop" instead of "tonic". :)

    Tanqueray goes well with tonic, provided ther is a lime on the glass.

    > http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

    BTW, do monkeys pick their nuts with a monkey wrench?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  12. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:22:29 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/24/2014 9:16 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
    >>>
    >>> http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    >> Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
    >>
    >> Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    >> create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    >> making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    >> interesting.
    >>
    >> I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    >> make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    >> program to edit the movies.
    >>
    >> As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    >> that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    >> a monkey wrench in other countries.
    >>
    >> A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    >> It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    >> and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    >>
    >> The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    >> when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    >> tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    >> spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.
    >>

    >I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    >sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    >requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
    >BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
    >helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

    I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I made a point of saying I was
    not intending to be contentious. I also made it clear that the tool
    is called one thing in this country, and another thing in Europe.
    He is correct for his usage, and I did not correct him for not using
    the term used in this country.

    I also thanked him for providing the tutorial and complimented the
    presentation.

    The "go get a left-handed..." is used in most, if not all,
    English-speaking countries. In the UK, it's "go get a left-handed
    spanner". I've also heard "go get a left-handed monkey wrench".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  13. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > In article <>, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    > > As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > > that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US
    > > and a monkey wrench in other countries.

    > Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

    It's actually more complicated than that.

    The original "monkey wrench" was like this:
    <http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=monkey+wrench&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35>

    Note that the jaws do bear some resemblance to a rather stylized drawing
    of a monkey.

    Later there were two developments, the Crescent wrench, like the one
    that you used, that is more compact and can be used with one hand, and
    the Stillson wrench <http://www.hisltd.co.uk/Rothenberger-Stillson-Pipe-
    Wrench.html> that is designed for gripping pipe and other round stock
    but has a superficial similarity of appearance.

    The Crescent would get the "monkey wrench" appellation due to similarity
    of function to the original, while the Stillson would get it due to
    similarity of appearance.

    The original "monkey wrench" has pretty much fallen into disuse in the
    US, and the Crescent-type wrench is generally called a "Crescent
    wrench", leaving the Stillson to be called a "monkey wrench" on
    occasion, however "pipe wrench" is a less ambiguous term.

    J. Clarke, Jan 24, 2014
  14. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tonycooper214
    @gmail.com says...

    > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:22:29 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    > >> Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
    > >>
    > >> Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    > >> create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    > >> making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    > >> interesting.
    > >>
    > >> I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    > >> make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    > >> program to edit the movies.
    > >>
    > >> As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > >> that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    > >> a monkey wrench in other countries.
    > >>
    > >> A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    > >> It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    > >> and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    > >>
    > >> The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    > >> when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    > >> tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    > >> spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.
    > >>

    > >I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    > >sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    > >requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
    > >BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
    > >helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

    > I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I made a point of saying I was
    > not intending to be contentious. I also made it clear that the tool
    > is called one thing in this country, and another thing in Europe.
    > He is correct for his usage, and I did not correct him for not using
    > the term used in this country.
    >
    > I also thanked him for providing the tutorial and complimented the
    > presentation.
    >
    > The "go get a left-handed..." is used in most, if not all,
    > English-speaking countries. In the UK, it's "go get a left-handed
    > spanner". I've also heard "go get a left-handed monkey wrench".

    Believe it or not, there is a such a thing as a left-handed Crescent
    wrench. The adjuster had a reverse thread. Whether this is due to
    Chinese incompetence or to intent I have no idea.

    J. Clarke, Jan 24, 2014
  15. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke wrote:

    > > > Tony Cooper:
    > > > As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of
    > > > contention, that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent
    > > > wrench in the US and a monkey wrench in other countries.

    > > Sandman:
    > > Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

    > It's actually more complicated than that.

    > The original "monkey wrench" was like this:
    > <http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=monkey+wrench&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35>

    > Note that the jaws do bear some resemblance to a rather stylized
    > drawing of a monkey.

    The URL was to just a general search on Yahoo, which may or may not show
    the same items for me as for you. The only resemblence I found was this
    image:

    http://tinyurl.com/phvzz7o

    Which, incidentally, is of the kind of wrench I used in my tutorial.

    > Later there were two developments, the Crescent wrench, like the one
    > that you used, that is more compact and can be used with one hand,
    > and the Stillson wrench
    > <http://www.hisltd.co.uk/Rothenberger-Stillson-Pipe-
    > Wrench.html>that is designed for gripping pipe and other round stock
    > but has a superficial similarity of appearance.

    > The Crescent would get the "monkey wrench" appellation due to
    > similarity of function to the original, while the Stillson would get
    > it due to similarity of appearance.

    I'm not arguing with that, but I fail to see the similarities between the
    Stillson and a monkey, but I suppose I'm just missing something obvious :)

    > The original "monkey wrench" has pretty much fallen into disuse in
    > the US, and the Crescent-type wrench is generally called a "Crescent
    > wrench", leaving the Stillson to be called a "monkey wrench" on
    > occasion, however "pipe wrench" is a less ambiguous term.

    While I'm sure it's used here in Sweden, I think a more common wrench is
    what we call Rörtång, or "pipe pliers", which look like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/npmrq4d

    As you can see, it has a similar funciton to what you call monkey
    wrench.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  16. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:15:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, tonycooper214
    >@gmail.com says...
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:22:29 -0500, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    >> >sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    >> >requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
    >> >BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
    >> >helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

    >> I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I made a point of saying I was
    >> not intending to be contentious. I also made it clear that the tool
    >> is called one thing in this country, and another thing in Europe.
    >> He is correct for his usage, and I did not correct him for not using
    >> the term used in this country.
    >>
    >> I also thanked him for providing the tutorial and complimented the
    >> presentation.
    >>
    >> The "go get a left-handed..." is used in most, if not all,
    >> English-speaking countries. In the UK, it's "go get a left-handed
    >> spanner". I've also heard "go get a left-handed monkey wrench".

    >Believe it or not, there is a such a thing as a left-handed Crescent
    >wrench. The adjuster had a reverse thread. Whether this is due to
    >Chinese incompetence or to intent I have no idea.

    I am left-handed, but the only left-handed tool that I use is my
    Skilsaw (circular saw) because I move it with my left hand and want
    the line I'm cutting on to be visible. With a standard, or
    right-handed, circular saw the line is covered by the plate if I move
    the saw with my left hand.

    I have no problem using a standard crescent or pipe wrench, and no
    problem using standard scissors. With scissors, I've learned to
    adjust my thumb pressure to keep the blades in contact. I've tried
    left-handed scissors, but they're awkward for me because I have to
    re-adjust the thumb pressure.

    I spent my working career in the specialty medical equipment field.
    They do make left-handed hemostats and needle holders, but I never had
    a call for them. A hemostat or a needle holder has a ratchet-lock
    that is designed for right-handers, but it's easy to adjust to that
    thumb pressure that pushes instead of pulls.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  17. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    In article <>,
    PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 1/24/2014 9:16 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > >
    > > As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    > > that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    > > a monkey wrench in other countries.
    > >
    > > A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    > > It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    > > and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    > >
    > > The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    > > when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    > > tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    > > spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

    > I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    > sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    > requisition a left handed crescent wrench.

    A left-handed monkey/crescent/adjustable/pipe wrench is theoretically
    possible by having a left-handed thread on the adjuster. I've never seen
    or heard of one outside of a joke, but there it is. A left-handed Allen
    wrench or striped paint, I don't think so.

    --
    -eben royalty.mine.nu:81
    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

    Hactar, Jan 24, 2014
  18. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 3:57 AM, Sandman wrote:

    >>> Ron:
    >>> Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow
    >>> on the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

    >> I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
    >> tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
    >> to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
    >> create a realistic scene.

    > Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
    >
    > http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    that's a decent way.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  19. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 10:59 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:22:29 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
    >>>
    >>> Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    >>> create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    >>> making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    >>> interesting.
    >>>
    >>> I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    >>> make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    >>> program to edit the movies.
    >>>
    >>> As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    >>> that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    >>> a monkey wrench in other countries.
    >>>
    >>> A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
    >>> It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
    >>> and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
    >>>
    >>> The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
    >>> when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
    >>> tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
    >>> spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.
    >>>

    >> I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
    >> sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
    >> requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
    >> BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
    >> helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

    > I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I made a point of saying I was
    > not intending to be contentious. I also made it clear that the tool
    > is called one thing in this country, and another thing in Europe.
    > He is correct for his usage, and I did not correct him for not using
    > the term used in this country.
    >
    > I also thanked him for providing the tutorial and complimented the
    > presentation.

    I am happy that it was taken as intended. There has been too much here
    that has not been.

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  20. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 12:20:20 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:16:39 -0500, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:

    >>>Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
    >>>
    >>>http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

    >>Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
    >>
    >>Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
    >>create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
    >>making some rather dull shots into something a little more
    >>interesting.
    >>
    >>I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
    >>make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
    >>program to edit the movies.
    >>
    >>As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
    >>that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
    >>a monkey wrench in other countries.

    > ... some other countries, perhaps. But
    >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monkey_wrench_derivative_from_Rogers_1903_p172.png
    >is the style of the original monkey wrench and
    >http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/File:Monkey_Wrench.jpg is the style
    >of wrench to which the name has become attached.
    >>
    >>A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw

    >Nope. That's a Stillson wrench, designed for gripping pipe. See
    >http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blwrench.htm

    It isn't what it *is*, it's what it's *called*. In the US, if you
    want to buy one of these, and go into a hardware store, you'd ask for
    a "monkey wrench" or a "pipe wrench". Some hardware store clerks
    would know "Stillson wrench", but some wouldn't.

    Terms change from country to country. We take the elevator, someone
    in the UK takes the lift. We enter a building on the first floor,
    someone in the UK goes up a flight to the first floor.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014