    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Paul Heslop

    Roy Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message

    > Dixons to end 35mm camera sales
    >
    > High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
    > to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
    > cameras.
    > The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the
    > current stock of the film cameras runs out.
    >

    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Yes, I heard that on the radio today.

    I don't think that anything Dixons do is very relevant to photographers
    anyway.

    What sort of range of Film SLR Cameras did they stock within the last 20
    years. 1 from Canon, 1 from Nikon, and if it was a big branch maybe 1 from
    Minolta, and none of them were any where near top of the ranges.

    Dixons is a Consumer Electronics store, not a Camera Shop, so anything they
    have to say about Photography can be ignored. None of their staff ever knew
    anything about photography, in any case.

    Their standard answer if you asked for something they did not stock, was to
    say it was no longer made. I have been told that about Mono Film, 120 Film,
    Tripods and Projector Screens.

    They are equally ignorant about Computers, and real Hi Fi.

    So in a few months time they will be telling Joe Public that Film Cameras
    are no longer made.

    Roy G

    Roy, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Paul Heslop

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
    >>
    >> Dixons to end 35mm camera sales
    >>
    >> High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
    >> to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
    >> cameras.
    >> The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the
    >> current stock of the film cameras runs out.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    >> Stop and Look
    >> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    > Yes, I heard that on the radio today.
    >
    > I don't think that anything Dixons do is very relevant to photographers
    > anyway.
    >
    > What sort of range of Film SLR Cameras did they stock within the last 20
    > years. 1 from Canon, 1 from Nikon, and if it was a big branch maybe 1
    > from Minolta, and none of them were any where near top of the ranges.
    >
    > Dixons is a Consumer Electronics store, not a Camera Shop, so anything
    > they have to say about Photography can be ignored. None of their staff
    > ever knew anything about photography, in any case.
    >
    > Their standard answer if you asked for something they did not stock, was
    > to say it was no longer made. I have been told that about Mono Film, 120
    > Film, Tripods and Projector Screens.
    >
    > They are equally ignorant about Computers, and real Hi Fi.
    >
    > So in a few months time they will be telling Joe Public that Film Cameras
    > are no longer made.
    >
    > Roy G

    Perhaps, but it is a fact the digital cameras are now outselling film
    cameras and retailers are seeing less reason to carry 35mm any longer. You
    can expect more surprises this year and through next as more
    retailers/manufacturers stop selling/making 35mm cameras.
    John

    JohnR66, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Roy wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
    > >
    > > Dixons to end 35mm camera sales
    > >
    > > High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
    > > to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
    > > cameras.
    > > The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the
    > > current stock of the film cameras runs out.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > > Stop and Look
    > > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    > Yes, I heard that on the radio today.
    >
    > I don't think that anything Dixons do is very relevant to photographers
    > anyway.
    >
    > What sort of range of Film SLR Cameras did they stock within the last 20
    > years. 1 from Canon, 1 from Nikon, and if it was a big branch maybe 1 from
    > Minolta, and none of them were any where near top of the ranges.
    >
    > Dixons is a Consumer Electronics store, not a Camera Shop, so anything they
    > have to say about Photography can be ignored. None of their staff ever knew
    > anything about photography, in any case.
    >
    > Their standard answer if you asked for something they did not stock, was to
    > say it was no longer made. I have been told that about Mono Film, 120 Film,
    > Tripods and Projector Screens.
    >
    > They are equally ignorant about Computers, and real Hi Fi.
    >
    > So in a few months time they will be telling Joe Public that Film Cameras
    > are no longer made.
    >
    > Roy G

    oh I agree about the store... and wasn't it their sister store, currys
    who announced they had stopped stocking VHS?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Paul Heslop

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:08:09 GMT, "JohnR66" <> wrote:

    > Perhaps, but it is a fact the digital cameras are now outselling film
    >cameras and retailers are seeing less reason to carry 35mm any longer. You
    >can expect more surprises this year and through next as more
    >retailers/manufacturers stop selling/making 35mm cameras.
    >John

    Where's the surprise?
    A surprise would be a camel jumping out in front of my car while I was
    on I-40 30 miles east of Flagstaff.
    Seeing stores shift inventory to reflect the buying preferrences of
    the public isn't a surprise.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 9, 2005
  6. Paul Heslop

    Tony M Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > oh I agree about the store... and wasn't it their sister store, currys
    > who announced they had stopped stocking VHS?

    Dixons again - last year

    Tony M

    Tony M, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Tony M wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >

    > > oh I agree about the store... and wasn't it their sister store, currys
    > > who announced they had stopped stocking VHS?

    > Dixons again - last year
    >
    > Tony M

    Good at this stuff aren't they? Mind, they're the same shop anyway
    aren't they? Them, currys and PC world?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Paul Heslop

    Gavin Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:38:23 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Tony M wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:
    >>

    >> > oh I agree about the store... and wasn't it their sister store, currys
    >> > who announced they had stopped stocking VHS?

    >> Dixons again - last year
    >>
    >> Tony M

    >Good at this stuff aren't they? Mind, they're the same shop anyway
    >aren't they? Them, currys and PC world?

    They own the Link too..

    Yep all part of DSG, Dixons Sales Group, They are trying to position
    Dixons as the high technology center of the group, and Currys as the
    white goods / general household items.

    Gavin, Aug 11, 2005
  9. Paul Heslop

    Annika1980 Guest

    That coffin has been nailed more times than Jenna Jameson.

    Annika1980, Aug 11, 2005
  10. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Gavin wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:38:23 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Tony M wrote:

    > >> Dixons again - last year
    > >>
    > >> Tony M

    > >Good at this stuff aren't they? Mind, they're the same shop anyway
    > >aren't they? Them, currys and PC world?

    > They own the Link too..
    >
    > Yep all part of DSG, Dixons Sales Group, They are trying to position
    > Dixons as the high technology center of the group, and Currys as the
    > white goods / general household items.

    Round here all dixons seem to be poky little places :O)

    Paul Heslop, Aug 11, 2005