Another nail hangs over HD-DVD's coffin

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Winfield, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Winfield

    Winfield Guest

    Winfield, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Winfield

    Tarkus Guest

    Tarkus, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Winfield

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Jan 8, 2008
  4. Winfield wrote:
    > "Paramount poised to jump ship"
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/08/hd-dvd-declared-dead
    >
    > also just in -
    > draft-dodgers give Dereck J a HUGE definition wedgie! :p

    Uh...First, we must have the denials:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aQMGgh2LV_bU
    (As in, just because they COULD...)

    Although it does emphasize the story that Paramount/DW was actually
    *second* on Toshiba/MS's shopping list--
    And that Paramount had only taken the Bribe after buying T/MS's slightly
    defective sales pitch of "Oh, sure, we're in negotiations with Warner
    right now, it's in the bag--Don't worry, you won't be alone, that new
    studio majority for HD should be along any day now..."

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 8, 2008
  5. Winfield

    Eddie G Guest

    Eddie G, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Eddie G <> wrote:

    > I never read/trust ANYTHING from theinquirer.net although I may read
    > it for a good laugh.

    Except that in this case The Inquirer is quoting Financial Times, as is
    Reuters.

    The interesting question is why Warner switched and why now. My guess is
    that they looked at holiday and post-holiday sales figures and saw that
    Toshiba's player price offensive had failed to ignite HD DVD disc sales.
    At best, the format war would continue. That would be bad for the
    industry as a whole but especially for HD DVD, whose main advantage
    (cost) would be compressed to irrelevance as the technology on both
    sides matured.
    Neill Massello, Jan 8, 2008
  7. Winfield

    XPickel Guest

    XPickel, Jan 8, 2008
  8. Winfield

    Mark A Guest

    "XPickel" <> wrote in message
    > If Paramount dumps HD-DVD it's all over.

    Then they will, because the studios are desperately trying to end the format
    war.
    Mark A, Jan 8, 2008
  9. Winfield

    md Guest

    md, Jan 8, 2008
  10. md <> wrote:

    > This is the more expensive of the two ... correct?

    The discs are usually about the same price at retail. If anything,
    Blu-ray discs are often a little cheaper, despite their being
    (supposedly) more expensive to manufacture. Blu-ray players are still
    more expensive than HD, but the relative gap has been shrinking and the
    absolute prices of both formats have been declining, as is typical with
    new technology.

    > Any advantages worth paying for?

    Blu-ray has twice the capacity of HD. Not a big deal for movies, but an
    important consideration in picking the next generation of optical data
    storage.
    Neill Massello, Jan 8, 2008
  11. Winfield

    Mars Guest

    "Neill Massello" <> wrote in message
    > Eddie G <> wrote:
    >
    >> I never read/trust ANYTHING from theinquirer.net although I may read
    >> it for a good laugh.

    > Except that in this case The Inquirer is quoting Financial Times, as is
    > Reuters.
    >
    > The interesting question is why Warner switched and why now.

    620 million dollars plus incentives. It's all over the Net.

    I'd kiss sony ass for that much as well :)
    Mars, Jan 8, 2008
  12. Mars <> wrote:

    > It's all over the Net.

    So are alien abduction stories. Do you have any links to reputable
    sources?
    Neill Massello, Jan 8, 2008
  13. Eddie G wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 11:59 am, Winfield <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Paramount poised to jump ship"
    >>
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/08/hd-dvd-declare...
    >>
    >>also just in -
    >> draft-dodgers give Dereck J a HUGE definition wedgie! :p
    >>
    >> - Winfield

    > I never read/trust ANYTHING from theinquirer.net although I may read
    > it for a good laugh.

    The original source every other article was parroting was an "insider"
    source to Financial Times, although it helps to disclaimer
    that...anything past that, FT was guessing. -_-

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 8, 2008
  14. Winfield

    XPickel Guest

    "Mark A" <> wrote in message
    > "XPickel" <> wrote in message
    >> If Paramount dumps HD-DVD it's all over.

    > Then they will, because the studios are desperately trying to end the
    > format war.

    Just like everyone else, they whish there'd never been one.
    XPickel, Jan 8, 2008
  15. Winfield

    kastnna Guest

    On Jan 8, 3:08 pm, (Neill Massello) wrote:
    > Eddie G <> wrote:
    > > I never read/trust ANYTHING from theinquirer.net although I may read
    > > it for a good laugh.

    > Except that in this case The Inquirer is quoting Financial Times, as is
    > Reuters.

    Then the OP should have cited:

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-bd75-11dc-b7e6-0000779fd2ac.html

    Trusting a 3rd party internet source is like trusting a whore that
    says you don't need a rubber!
    kastnna, Jan 8, 2008
  16. Winfield

    Winfield Guest

    Neill Massello wrote:
    > md <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is the more expensive of the two ... correct?

    > The discs are usually about the same price at retail. If anything,
    > Blu-ray discs are often a little cheaper, despite their being
    > (supposedly) more expensive to manufacture. Blu-ray players are still
    > more expensive than HD, but the relative gap has been shrinking and the
    > absolute prices of both formats have been declining, as is typical with
    > new technology.
    >

    >> Any advantages worth paying for?

    > Blu-ray has twice the capacity of HD. Not a big deal for movies, but an
    > important consideration in picking the next generation of optical data
    > storage.

    An important consideration, yes - but price might be even more
    important. I can do standard rewritable DVD double-layer burns, but
    don't because single-layer discs are much more economical. Even putting
    up with a bit of hassle to split files/organize to get all the
    nutritional data goodness.

    Inexpensive HD-DVD recordable discs and burners may be where the format
    survives.

    winfield
    Winfield, Jan 8, 2008
  17. Winfield

    Winfield Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > Winfield wrote:
    >> "Paramount poised to jump ship"
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/08/hd-dvd-declared-dead
    >>

    > If that's true, how long before Toshiba just pulls the plug and cuts
    > their losses?

    Good question. I wonder how much input Microsoft and other partners
    might have on this decision. It would certainly be a major announcement.

    - winf
    Winfield, Jan 9, 2008
  18. In article <>,
    "XPickel" <> wrote:

    > "Mark A" <> wrote in message
    > > "XPickel" <> wrote in message
    > >> If Paramount dumps HD-DVD it's all over.

    > > Then they will, because the studios are desperately trying to end the
    > > format war.
    > >

    > Just like everyone else, they whish there'd never been one.

    As a consumer, you should have loved the war. What do you think forced
    those prices down so fast? It sure as hell wasn't either side's mfgs
    wanting to.
    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 9, 2008
  19. Winfield <> wrote:

    > Inexpensive HD-DVD recordable discs and burners may be where the format
    > survives.

    I don't think so, any more than DVD-RAM survived. There's really only
    room in the market for one next-gen optical storage format. DVD-R media
    was also quite expensive initially but got much cheaper as the format
    took off. Something similar will happen with Blu-ray.
    Neill Massello, Jan 9, 2008
  20. Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "XPickel" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mark A" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"XPickel" <> wrote in message

    >>>Then they will, because the studios are desperately trying to end the
    >>>format war.
    >>>

    >>Just like everyone else, they whish there'd never been one.

    > As a consumer, you should have loved the war. What do you think forced
    > those prices down so fast? It sure as hell wasn't either side's mfgs
    > wanting to.

    If memory serves correctly, it was companies wanting to move great
    stocks of UNSOLD products.

    Which the public wasn't buying.

    Because they wanted a winner first.

    Which they weren't getting.

    Because there was a format war on.

    (Now, as to what KEEPS prices down, now that companies can make a
    greater sales margin on less expensively produced products in safe mass
    quantities, for a larger customer base then their previously "niche" one...)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 9, 2008