Another Loosing Wireless Connection problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pedro Alves, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Pedro Alves

    Pedro Alves Guest

    Hi,

    I've recently changed my wired network to a wireless solution. I
    bought only DLINK equipment: 1 x AP DWL-2000AP+, 4 x DWL-G520+, 2 x
    DWL-G650+. All 54Mb.

    I have a Windows 2000 Network:
    - All PCs wireless connected to AP
    - 2000 Server connected to a switch
    - Switch connected to Router ADSL

    WAP Off, WEP Off, 54Mb speed. Signal between 80 and 90%. All the
    equipment is in a small room, no interferences.

    If i use only internet access on the pcs, the wireless connection
    works ok.
    But if I try to use windows networks services (windows shares, file
    copying, printing, etc.) I loose connection after awhile.
    When I try to copy a file from a wireless PC to another, after a
    while, they loose connection, and the copy gives an error. The network
    adapter looses the connection to the AP.

    It seems that when I use full wireless bandwidth, the wireless network
    isn't capable of handling such data. Or maybe it's a problem with
    Windows 2000 implementation or Dlink drivers...

    Ping times are all <10ms when I have a connection.
    Even tried to use 11Mb and 22Mb but the problems remain the same.
    I also change the AP to a 11Mb USR Router... and the problems remain.

    Has anyone ever had this problems and did you solve it?

    Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Pedro Alves

    Pedro Alves, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Pedro Alves

    Pedro Alves Guest

    Managed to find the answer myself.
    Maybe it will help someone since I didn't get any luck here.

    To solve the frequently wireless disconnects, I installed the latest
    US Robotics drivers for my DLink equipment. I've found this tip in a
    forum.
    After installation, you have to force the DLink hardware to use the
    USR driver.

    Then, it works ok. The wireless lan is faster and stable... and more
    important, the frequently disconnects were GONE!!!!

    DLINK, Shame on you!!! Had to use other manufacturer drivers to be
    able to use DLink's hardware.

    Hope it helps someone.

    Pedro Alves

    Pedro Alves, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Pedro Alves

    Lars Guest

    Dear Pedro!

    I've been REALY looking for an answer to the same problem as the one
    you had. Could you just tell me where you found the USR driver, and
    wich driver to get (for the dwl-g520+ pci card)?

    Lars!

    Lars, Jul 22, 2004