    0845 or 0870 and can't afford 0800) ?

    Simon
    , Sep 24, 2006

  2. Jono Guest

    It happens that formulated :
    > I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
    > local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
    > month), but I don't really need all the additional features.
    >
    > Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a similar service to Vonage, but cheaper, or a call
    > diversion service that will offer a local number (I don't want to use
    > 0845 or 0870 and can't afford 0800) ?
    >
    > Simon

    <www.gradwell.com> offer PSTN forwarding of a number in an area code of
    your choice.

    Forwarded calls are 1.25ppm & the number costs £3 per month.

    <http://www.gradwell.com/voip/PSTN_forwarding.php>

    Alternatively, <www.voip.co.uk> allow forwarding. Unless you sign up to
    a package, there is no monthly cost. I'll let you suss out how much
    forwarded calls would cost...

    With either of the above, you could use an ATA, softphone or hardphone
    and not use the forwarding service.

    Just for comparison, BT can offer a presence number at £112.65 per
    quarter + VAT + Calls.
    Jono, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Steve Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > It happens that formulated :
    >> I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
    >> local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
    >> month), but I don't really need all the additional features.
    >>
    >> Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.

    Why not get a neighbouring area number from Sipgate perhaps.
    Steve, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Jono Guest

    Steve was thinking very hard :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> It happens that formulated :
    >>> I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
    >>> local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
    >>> month), but I don't really need all the additional features.
    >>>
    >>> Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.
    >>>

    > Why not get a neighbouring area number from Sipgate perhaps.

    Because they don't offer forwarding to PSTN...perhaps...?
    Jono, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Steve Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Steve was thinking very hard :
    >> "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >>> It happens that formulated :

    >> Why not get a neighbouring area number from Sipgate perhaps.

    > Because they don't offer forwarding to PSTN...perhaps...?

    True, but then why forward it, just terminate it locally on voip equipment,
    an ata or asterisk maybe, I did assume there was some voip involvement this
    being a voip group.
    Steve, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Mr Man Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
    > local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
    > month), but I don't really need all the additional features.
    >
    > Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a similar service to Vonage, but cheaper, or a call
    > diversion service that will offer a local number (I don't want to use
    > 0845 or 0870 and can't afford 0800) ?
    >
    > Simon

    www.voipfone.co.uk also offer what you are looking for.

    You may well be able to afford 0800 at their rates, depending on call
    volume.
    Mr Man, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Jono Guest

    Steve used his keyboard to write :

    > True, but then why forward it, just terminate it locally on voip equipment,
    > an ata or asterisk maybe, I did assume there was some voip involvement this
    > being a voip group.

    "or a call diversion service that will offer a local number" was one of
    the requests.
    Jono, Sep 24, 2006
  8. Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Steve used his keyboard to write :
    >

    > > True, but then why forward it, just terminate it locally on voip equipment,
    > > an ata or asterisk maybe, I did assume there was some voip involvement this
    > > being a voip group.

    > "or a call diversion service that will offer a local number" was one of
    > the requests.

    Thanks for all those responses guys.. have just had a long search
    through the various suggestions.

    It seems that if I'm happy to use a VOIP system (and this is vastly
    cheaper than BT) then it rather depends if I'm going to make outgoing
    calls on the line. Our other phones in the head office (where the phone
    will be for at least the first 12 months) have call plans that give us
    free outgoing calls.

    I've set up Vonage for customers and it's dead easy to use and gives
    free outbound calls (is that right?) but 18.99 a month is quite a lot.
    The other plus is that the adapter is free. Sipgate looks cheaper as
    long as we don't use it for outbound calls but I would have to buy the
    adapter as well (about £49).

    We already us Skype but amazingly the Skype In product doesn't have
    local phone numbers - just the big cities.

    Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
    paying for incoming calls.

    Have I missed anything?

    Simon
    , Sep 24, 2006
  9. Jono Guest

    brought next idea :

    > It seems that if I'm happy to use a VOIP system (and this is vastly
    > cheaper than BT) then it rather depends if I'm going to make outgoing
    > calls on the line.

    Yes

    > I've set up Vonage for customers and it's dead easy to use and gives
    > free outbound calls (is that right?) but 18.99 a month is quite a lot.

    Hardly constitutes "free calls" at £18.99 per month. Compare that with
    voip.co.uk's £2 per month for unlimited E&W plus daytime calls for a 2p
    set up.

    > The other plus is that the adapter is free. Sipgate looks cheaper as
    > long as we don't use it for outbound calls but I would have to buy the
    > adapter as well (about £49).

    I don't mind Sipgate, however, I think that if you need to make sure it
    always works, gradwell, voip.co.uk or voipfone would better suit your
    needs.

    > We already use Skype but amazingly the Skype In product doesn't have
    > local phone numbers - just the big cities.

    I am surprised, though have no intention of trying skype, so will have
    to take your word for it.

    > Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
    > paying for incoming calls.

    Then you can only really choose an non-geo for this purpose.
    Jono, Sep 24, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:08:31 +0100, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >I don't mind Sipgate, however, I think that if you need to make sure it
    >always works,

    Can you tell me just what good is a phone service to anyone if it
    DOSEN 'T always work be it free or otherwise and in any case Sipgate
    isn't free you have to pay for all calls unless everyone you call is
    another sipgate user .
    I will fully endorse your recommend for Voiphone I have been with them
    ever since ditching that German CRAP and have yet to find a fault with
    them always up and running and readily available and always pleased to
    answer any questions you may have via the TELEPHONE instantly.
    Vonage are good there is no doubt about it but once I get to the end
    of my freetalk contracts I shall be leaving them only because I have
    no need for their additional services free though they may be which
    was the reason I left them previously and joined Freetalk.At that
    point I intend to use Sip discount for outgoing and Voiphone for
    incoming.
    , Sep 24, 2006
  11. Guest

    > Hardly constitutes "free calls" at £18.99 per month. Compare that with
    > voip.co.uk's £2 per month for unlimited E&W plus daytime calls for a 2p
    > set up.

    But I have now use for evening and weekend calls. Peak calls are 2p for
    the first 60 calls and then 1p per minute which isn't bad. Still have
    to pay for the hardware though.

    > I don't mind Sipgate, however, I think that if you need to make sure it
    > always works, gradwell, voip.co.uk or voipfone would better suit your
    > needs.

    I can't get any sense out of the voiphone website - seems to be a load
    of waffle about what they 'can do' with email addresses for signup.
    Very thin on actual information.

    > > Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
    > > paying for incoming calls.

    > Then you can only really choose an non-geo for this purpose.

    Don't understand what you mean by a non-geo ..

    Simon
    , Sep 24, 2006
  12. Thus spaketh :
    >> Hardly constitutes "free calls" at £18.99 per month. Compare that
    >> with voip.co.uk's £2 per month for unlimited E&W plus daytime calls
    >> for a 2p set up.
    >>

    > But I have now use for evening and weekend calls. Peak calls are 2p
    > for the first 60 calls and then 1p per minute which isn't bad. Still
    > have to pay for the hardware though.
    >

    >> I don't mind Sipgate, however, I think that if you need to make sure
    >> it always works, gradwell, voip.co.uk or voipfone would better suit
    >> your needs.
    >>

    > I can't get any sense out of the voiphone website - seems to be a load
    > of waffle about what they 'can do' with email addresses for signup.
    > Very thin on actual information.
    >

    >>> Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen
    >>> on paying for incoming calls.

    >> Then you can only really choose an non-geo for this purpose.

    > Don't understand what you mean by a non-geo ..
    >
    > Simon

    0845 / 0870 rip-off numbers.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 24, 2006
  13. Paul Cupis Guest

    >>> Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
    >>> paying for incoming calls.

    >> Then you can only really choose an non-geo for this purpose.

    > Don't understand what you mean by a non-geo ..

    If you want a telco to give you a number which you can divert to UK
    landline numbers at no charge to you, then you will need to use a number
    which is charged at more than the cost of the UK landline call (so the
    caller pays for the cost of providing the service).

    Non-geographic numbers include 03, 05, 07, 08 and 09 numbers, typically
    for your requested use you would use 08 or 070 numbers.
    Paul Cupis, Sep 24, 2006
  14. Guest

    On 24 Sep 2006 12:43:13 -0700, wrote:

    >I can't get any sense out of the voiphone website - seems to be a load
    >of waffle about what they 'can do' with email addresses for signup.
    >Very thin on actual information.

    For Christ sake open your eyes and read what you see couldn't be
    simpler

    Residential sign up
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfone_For_Residential_Customers.php

    Business

    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfone_For_Residential_Customers.php

    Many items have been added and site changed since I first signed up
    but I found the above within 10 seconds .
    , Sep 24, 2006
  15. Guest

    On 24 Sep 2006 02:03:34 -0700, , wrote:

    >I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
    >local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
    >month), but I don't really need all the additional features.
    >
    >Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a similar service to Vonage, but cheaper, or a call
    >diversion service that will offer a local number (I don't want to use
    >0845 or 0870 and can't afford 0800) ?
    >
    >Simon

    Could you not use
    www.voiptalk.org
    Depending upon the county you register as your address,
    it allocates your Geo number to a city in that county.

    Wik
    , Sep 24, 2006
  16. Guest

    > For Christ sake open your eyes and read what you see couldn't be
    > simpler

    Gosh, why so cross? I picked up www.voiphone.co.uk from your original
    post, a completely different site.

    > Residential sign up
    > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfone_For_Residential_Customers.php
    >
    > Business
    >
    > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfone_For_Residential_Customers.php
    >

    > Many items have been added and site changed since I first signed up
    > but I found the above within 10 seconds .

    I have to say the site isn't particularly clear. Is this why Vonage are
    doing so well? Are there any call costs for incoming calls - I assume
    not, but I couldn't quickly see any confirmation of this.
    , Sep 25, 2006
  17. Mr Man Guest

    > I have to say the site isn't particularly clear. Is this why Vonage are
    > doing so well? Are there any call costs for incoming calls - I assume
    > not, but I couldn't quickly see any confirmation of this.

    There is no cost for inbound calls if you answer them on a SIP device,
    softphone / hardphone.

    If you choose to divert them then you'll be charged at standard rates.
    1p per min (ex VAT) to UK fixed lines, and most of eurpoe.
    Mr Man, Sep 25, 2006
  18. Guest

    Just thought I'd post a follow up to this as I signed with Vonage this
    evening having had a good old tramp through all the suggested sites.

    They may not be the cheapest, but they inspire the most confidence.
    Some of the competitors sites are too confusing for words. In the end I
    phoned Vonage and got a price of 5.99 per month for the first 6 months
    and then 7.99 - all landline calls included. They waved the startup fee
    (saving £10) and the adapter is also free - but you have to pay £8
    postage. All of that is inc VAT too.

    I'm sure there are cheapers options out there but none as simple and
    straightforward as the Vonage offering IMHO

    Simon
    , Sep 26, 2006
  19. Mr Man Guest

    Ok, hope all goes well for you with vonage :)
    Mr Man, Sep 27, 2006
  20. Guest

    On 26 Sep 2006 15:24:52 -0700, wrote:

    >Just thought I'd post a follow up to this as I signed with Vonage this
    >evening having had a good old tramp through all the suggested sites.
    >
    >They may not be the cheapest, but they inspire the most confidence.

    You have been suckered. They are far from the best. They just spend
    more on marketing.

    You will notice that not a single person suggested Vonage. There is a
    reason for that.

    Why do people ask for advice if they don't intend to take any notice
    of the advice they are given?
    , Sep 28, 2006