Another Linksys Router Blocking Some Sites

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ryan, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi,

    I have seen this problem posted before, but no real solution offered so
    I wanted to start from scratch.

    We have a new Linksys router on our network that allows the PC's and
    Tivo in the house to access the web. We have SBC DSL. The tool on
    Linksys's web site confiqured the router automatically and all PCs are
    now connected to the web without having to dial in themselves, the
    router is doing what it should by keeping the internet connection live
    24/7.

    However, I have discovered none of the machines can "see" a few
    selected sites such as eBay.com and Yahoo.com. 90% of sites work fine,
    even secure banking sites we use work great. The router's firewall is
    disabled so that's not the problem and all the machines are having the
    same issue, so the problem is not resolved by shutting down Norton or
    Window's firewall software on each machine (we have tried).

    I am stumped as to how the router is allowing secure sites and most
    others, but very popular sites like eBay and Yahoo won't work at all...
    just sits there when you type in the URL. Google, it likes.

    Any ideas? I am new to routers and networking so please be gentle with
    me when you respond, I may need some explation of terms.

    Thanks!

    Ryan, Jan 24, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Ryan <> wrote:
    :We have a new Linksys router on our network that allows the PC's and
    :Tivo in the house to access the web. We have SBC DSL.

    :However, I have discovered none of the machines can "see" a few
    :selected sites such as eBay.com and Yahoo.com. 90% of sites work fine,
    :even secure banking sites we use work great. The router's firewall is
    :disabled so that's not the problem and all the machines are having the
    :same issue, so the problem is not resolved by shutting down Norton or
    :Window's firewall software on each machine (we have tried).

    A problem such as that is -often- (but not always) due to problems with
    MTU. I don't know about SBC: are you using PPPoE to talk to the DSL
    modem? If so, then you need to lower your MTU to account for the PPPoE
    overhead.

    I suggest you visit dslreports.com and go through their tweaking FAQ.
    They have an online test that you can run that will report your MTU and
    line speed and a few other things and give you suggestions for improvements.
    One of the items in the FAQ is a useful little GUI program that makes
    turning on Path MTU Discovery easy.
    --
    Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.
    That's my point.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Ryan

    Guest

    Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on the Linksys routrs as
    this problem has been reported before.

    , Jan 25, 2005
  4. Ryan

    Iggy Guest

    Hi,

    Or you can reduce TCP MSS (maximum segment size) to 1452 ("defualt" ADSL MTU
    size = 1492 - 40 bytes)... I think that I saw this option on some LinkSys
    DSL routers. I had a similar problem with my 2600 router. Then I applied 'ip
    tcp adjust-mss 1452' IOS command on my LAN's interface (fa0/0 for example)
    and after that all web sites works. I think that problem occures because
    some web servers are behined firewalls that blocks ICMP messages which are
    used as notification about too large MTU and TCP MSS values, etc. That's why
    you might have problems to establihs TCP connection to some hosts...

    B.R.
    Igor

    Iggy, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Ryan

    Iggy Guest

    Hi,

    I could not locate tool that you mentioned on the web site dslreports.com...
    Could you be so kind to give us a link on it?

    B.R.
    Igor

    Iggy, Jan 26, 2005