    He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same problem.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

    John Smith, Jul 17, 2010

  2. John Smith wrote:

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has
    > IE7 and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided
    > to play up. He is presented with something like:- "IE has encountered
    > a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience, please tell
    > Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.

    Microsoft will fix it for you in .. 20 minutes. :)

    Srsly, copy an install of Firefox to a CD, and install that on Friend PC
    so at least there's a chance to get online.

    Have you been to Add/Remove Programs, Windows components, and attempted
    an IE repair yet? Other possibilities of the problem include a browser
    hijack from a hacked web site.

    > He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    > updates to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the
    > latest Windows updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks
    > to load IE it just shows an almost white screen... He's used System
    > Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same problem. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Do a scan with the a-v software (which one?). Check for malware with
    MalwareBytes AntiMalware, free version. Download installer, install,
    update, scan. Put this on your CD along with the Firefox .exe.
    http://malwarebytes.org/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 17, 2010

  3. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has
    > IE7 and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided
    > to play up. He is presented with something like:-
    > "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience,
    > please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    > He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    > updates to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the
    > latest Windows updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to
    > load IE it just shows an almost white screen...
    > He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same
    > problem. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    And what *was* the problem? The exact error message *is* required here. You
    quoted everthing *but* that.

    However in add/remove programs (if IE has been upgraded - 6.0 in XP is
    included) when you start to uninstall it, it gives you the option to repair
    it in situ. If it fails, it will tell you and not mess things up.

    Just look for "Internet Explorer <version> and Internet tools"

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 17, 2010
  4. chuckcar wrote:
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >> Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has
    >> IE7 and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided
    >> to play up. He is presented with something like:-
    >> "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience,
    >> please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    >> He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    >> updates to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the
    >> latest Windows updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to
    >> load IE it just shows an almost white screen...
    >> He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same
    >> problem. Any ideas?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > And what *was* the problem? The exact error message *is* required here. You
    > quoted everthing *but* that.
    >
    > However in add/remove programs (if IE has been upgraded - 6.0 in XP is
    > included) when you start to uninstall it, it gives you the option to repair
    > it in situ. If it fails, it will tell you and not mess things up.
    >
    > Just look for "Internet Explorer <version> and Internet tools"

    Chuck: He posted this: "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for
    any inconvenience, please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc"

    John, he may have a malfunctioning addon. If you go into
    start/accessories/system tools, there is a link to start IE with no
    addons. If that works fine, you just have to disable the addons one at a
    time and try it until you find the offender.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jul 17, 2010
  5. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> "John Smith" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Any help appreciated.
    >>> Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has
    >>> IE7 and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly
    >>> decided to play up. He is presented with something like:-
    >>> "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience,
    >>> please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    >>> He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    >>> updates to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the
    >>> latest Windows updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks
    >>> to load IE it just shows an almost white screen...
    >>> He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same
    >>> problem. Any ideas?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> And what *was* the problem? The exact error message *is* required
    >> here. You quoted everthing *but* that.
    >>
    >> However in add/remove programs (if IE has been upgraded - 6.0 in XP
    >> is included) when you start to uninstall it, it gives you the option
    >> to repair it in situ. If it fails, it will tell you and not mess
    >> things up.
    >>
    >> Just look for "Internet Explorer <version> and Internet tools"
    >>

    > Chuck: He posted this: "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry
    > for
    > any inconvenience, please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc"

    Yes, I *know* that. However getting error messages from OP's is like pulling teeth. Always has been, always will be.

    > John, he may have a malfunctioning addon. If you go into
    > start/accessories/system tools, there is a link to start IE with no
    > addons. If that works fine, you just have to disable the addons one at
    > a time and try it until you find the offender.

    Purely a supposition, but certainly a possibility to be considered.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 17, 2010
  6. John Smith

    VanguardLH Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has IE7 and
    > Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided to play up.
    > He is presented with something like:-
    > "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience, please
    > tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    > He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest updates
    > to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the latest Windows
    > updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to load IE it just
    > shows an almost white screen...
    > He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same problem.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode? Your "friend"
    may have an old add-on or updated/installed one that doesn't work well
    in IE7. Rather than ensuring they have the latest version of all
    add-ons, just disable them all to see if the problem is with IE7 or one
    of the possible many add-ons that this friend has installed.

    IE specific newsgroup is found at:
    (Despite Microsoft scrambling away from Usenet, Usenet will still
    survive as will these newsgroups when using a non-Microsoft NNTP server
    to access them.)

    VanguardLH, Jul 18, 2010
  7. John Smith

    alan Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> "John Smith" <> wrote in

    >>> And what *was* the problem? The exact error message *is* required
    >>> here. You quoted everthing *but* that.
    >>>
    >>> However in add/remove programs (if IE has been upgraded - 6.0 in XP
    >>> is included) when you start to uninstall it, it gives you the option
    >>> to repair it in situ. If it fails, it will tell you and not mess
    >>> things up.
    >>>
    >>> Just look for "Internet Explorer <version> and Internet tools"
    >>>

    >> Chuck: He posted this: "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry
    >> for
    >> any inconvenience, please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc"
    >>

    > Yes, I *know* that. However getting error messages from OP's is like
    > pulling teeth. Always has been, always will be.

    If in fact you did *know* that, WHY THE **** DID YOU CLAIM HE GAVE NO ERROR
    MESSAGE?

    alan, Jul 18, 2010
  8. John Smith

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:34:01 +0100, John Smith wrote:

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has IE7
    > and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided to
    > play up. He is presented with something like:- "IE has encountered a
    > problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience, please tell Msoft..click
    > the box to send etc" - this he has done. He can use e-mail via Outlook
    > Express and is able to download latest updates to his Anti-virus
    > software etc and as far as he knows the latest Windows updates are
    > regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to load IE it just shows an
    > almost white screen...
    > He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same
    > problem. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    You'll need to format the hard drive.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he stepped into the acceleration chamber.

    Dan C, Jul 18, 2010
  9. John Smith

    Tony Guest

    Chuck you seem to have a hang-up on repairing internet explorer in the add/remove programs. The logical answer is go to
    a good warez site and download the gamer's version of windows XP. It omits internet explorer with only a few core files
    from it so the operating system will run. It runs much faster than the regular version of windows XP especially on older
    computers such as yours.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 18, 2010
  10. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote in message news:i1tcq1$vj1$...

    John Smith wrote:

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has IE7
    > and
    > Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided to play up.
    > He is presented with something like:-
    > "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience, please
    > tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    > He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    > updates
    > to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the latest Windows
    > updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to load IE it just
    > shows an almost white screen...
    > He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same problem.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode? Your "friend"
    may have an old add-on or updated/installed one that doesn't work well
    in IE7. Rather than ensuring they have the latest version of all
    add-ons, just disable them all to see if the problem is with IE7 or one
    of the possible many add-ons that this friend has installed.

    IE specific newsgroup is found at:
    (Despite Microsoft scrambling away from Usenet, Usenet will still
    survive as will these newsgroups when using a non-Microsoft NNTP server
    to access them.)
    ============
    Thanks all..friend got all fixed via friendly on-line Microsoft people.
    Cheers.

    John Smith, Jul 18, 2010
  11. John Smith wrote:

    > Thanks all..friend got all fixed via friendly on-line Microsoft
    > people.

    So, what was the cure? How much was the charge Friend had to pay to
    Microsoft?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 18, 2010
  12. John Smith <> via

    > Any help appreciated.
    > Friend pc as from last evening won't load Internet Explorer. He has IE7
    > and Windows XP. Its been ok for a year or so but suddenly decided to
    > play up. He is presented with something like:-
    > "IE has encountered a problem, we are sorry for any inconvenience,
    > please tell Msoft..click the box to send etc" - this he has done.
    > He can use e-mail via Outlook Express and is able to download latest
    > updates to his Anti-virus software etc and as far as he knows the latest
    > Windows updates are regularly downloaded, but when he clicks to load IE
    > it just shows an almost white screen...
    > He's used System Restore to a point 4 days ago but still the same
    > problem. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    He might have got infected by the IE7-White-Screen Virus.
    Does it scream something like "def to all the white devils"
    and then start flashing rapidly and printing out food stamps?
    That might be a clue. But seriously, folks :

    IE7? ... WTF? Has he tried teh Goggle Crhome?
    They prolly have an obsolete, riddled-wif-risks
    version out there on the conspiracy-theorist groups.

    There's always the FriedFox... and they're FREE too.

    I don't think PETA even protects the FireFox...

    (Please, don't tell PETA, because they're after me
    for cutting off wolf ears and nutsacks and turning
    them into expensive novelties for wealthy Chinese
    royalty and business executives. If they find out
    they may stalk me -- or blog badly about me. TIA.)

    HTH.

    Oh yeah, it's been almost a decade, in wolf-years,
    so your friend might consider updating the browser
    to IE8 and then goto Microsoft Updates and install
    all the security patches and cumulative updates...
    He can always roll-back to IE7 if the leetle gurls
    make fun of him 'cause he cain't drive it gud enuf.

    First, go into your IE Options dialog, via the Control
    Panel or right-click the desktop IE icon > Properties...

    Click the "Advanced" tab... Click the "Reset..." button.

    Try it. If it don't, reboot, then try it again.

    HTH2.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 18, 2010
  13. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message

    John Smith wrote:

    > Thanks all..friend got all fixed via friendly on-line Microsoft
    > people.

    So, what was the cure? How much was the charge Friend had to pay to
    Microsoft?

    --
    -bts
    ========================
    Dunno what MS did but some script came across after he posted his problem
    form...and all ok now...cost zero...he assumed the friendly people at MS
    just provided this support as matter of routine.

    John Smith, Jul 18, 2010
  14. John Smith

    VanguardLH Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote ...
    >
    >> John Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks all..friend got all fixed via friendly on-line Microsoft
    >>> people.

    >> So, what was the cure? How much was the charge Friend had to pay to
    >> Microsoft?

    > Dunno what MS did but some script came across after he posted his
    > problem form...and all ok now...cost zero...he assumed the friendly
    > people at MS just provided this support as matter of routine.

    That's why someone asking on behalf of someone else often results in
    not getting the required information to get help on the a usually very
    poorly described problem, wasting time until the info gets relayed, and
    often not knowing what resolved the issue.

    My guess is the add-ons got disabled or IE got reset but it's just a
    guess based on no details up front or afterward.

    VanguardLH, Jul 19, 2010