Another HD-DVD Article

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Black Locust, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    From the same issue of Video Store Magazine. Enjoy.

    'What If They Came out With High-Def and Nobody Cared?'

    by Holly J. Wagner, senior editor

    Beuna Vista Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek describes it as a
    train wreck waiting to happen. Others have described it as a showdown or
    even an arm wrestling match between Warren Lieberfarb and Ben Feingold.
    I call it a pipedream, for a handful of reasons. But we're all talking
    about high-def DVD and the competing formats that content companies hope
    consumers will embrace enough to go out and replace their standard DVD's
    with the new products when they come out. Everyone agree that a format
    war will kill next-gen DVD. It will confuse consumers -- remember
    Betamax vs. VHS? Remember DVD-Audio vs. SACD? Oh yeah, we don't have to
    remember DVD-Audio, it's still out there, but mostly as a casualty of a
    music DVD format war. But I don't think that's all that is working
    against a new format. It's easy for those of us in this industry to
    forget sometimes that there is a rest of the world out there. Yes,
    folks, there is a real world, and Hollywood is decidedly not it. For one
    thing, a lot of folks, especially at the top, are pretty insulated from
    the economic realites of the rest of the country faces. Has anyone
    noticed that all the logos on the Blu-ray group's member announcements
    are companies with an interest in selling us new hardware? Take a look
    at Sony's financials, for example. The company's hardware division is
    circling the bowl. With no new game consoles in the near future, the
    company is scrambling to bolster it's consumer electronics revenue. DVD
    came about as the stock market runup of the 1990s was reaching it's
    zenith. People had plenty of money in their hands. At the same time,
    Chinese technology and manufacturing was bringing down the cost of DVD
    players much faster than the cost for VCRs dropped. Even after the stock
    market crash, a lot of people could afford DVD players. Then there has
    been a real estate boom. A lot of people with new homes or new money
    from their refinanced loads had money to outfit media rooms and install
    home theatre systems. And let's not forget VHS was a 23-years-old when
    DVD arrived on the scene. Even with player prices ridiculously low,
    there are still millions of homes that are DVDless. The difference
    between VHS and DVD picture quality is night and day. The difference is
    obvious without any special expertise or a trained eye. With the
    high-def formats, not so much. These new formats will appeal to the kind
    of audiophiles who think stereo systems aren't complete with equalizers,
    but the improvements will mean little to the average consumer. And
    Americans are headed for thriftier times. There is no economic fuel on
    the horizon to drive another boom, and a lot of people will be unwilling
    to switch to another format just 10 years after the last one was
    introduced, especially when it means giving up the most affordable
    entertainment systems in recent history for something much more
    expensive. DVD's success is based on accessibility -- accessible
    content, bonus materials and, most of all, accessible pricing. Even if
    all the competing interest can agree, there's nothing to guarantee that
    consumers will want the new format.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Black Locust

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    Black Locust <> wrote:

    > From the same issue of Video Store Magazine. Enjoy.
    >
    > 'What If They Came out With High-Def and Nobody Cared?'
    >
    > by Holly J. Wagner, senior editor
    >
    > Beuna Vista Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek describes it as a
    > train wreck waiting to happen.

    She makes some good points. The electronics companies of course want to
    sell new gear.

    But Buena Vista dragged their feet on DVD and now are one of the biggest
    beneficiaries of DVD sales.

    So the studios are in no hurry to dump DVD or Blue Ray or HD DVD.

    HDTV, at least in this country and Japan, is selling well enough.

    If they can deliver BR or HD-DVD movies around the same price as DVD
    releases, a lot of people will find a way to buy the hardware.
    poldy, Jul 29, 2004

  3. >What If They Came out With High-Def and Nobody Cared?'

    They did come out with it, and nobody cares.

    ;)

    At least, nobody I've ever met in person cares about it.
    Waterperson77, Aug 1, 2004
  4. On 01 Aug 2004 22:34:11 GMT,
    (Waterperson77) wrote:

    >>What If They Came out With High-Def and Nobody Cared?'
    >>

    >They did come out with it, and nobody cares.
    >
    >;)
    >
    >At least, nobody I've ever met in person cares about it.

    Yeah, but the trailer trash you live with are hardly representative of
    the population.

    GK

    grant kinsley, Aug 2, 2004
  5. grant kinsley wrote:
    > On 01 Aug 2004 22:34:11 GMT,
    > (Waterperson77) wrote:
    >
    >>> What If They Came out With High-Def and Nobody Cared?'
    >>>

    >> They did come out with it, and nobody cares.
    >>
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> At least, nobody I've ever met in person cares about it.

    > Yeah, but the trailer trash you live with are hardly representative of
    > the population.

    Dude, now that's an insult.

    You realize that trailer trash is far above waterperson, right? ;-)

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 4, 2004
  6. On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:05:06 -0500, "Brian The Demolition Man Little"
    <> wrote:

    >grant kinsley wrote:

    >>> They did come out with it, and nobody cares.
    >>>
    >>> ;)
    >>>
    >>> At least, nobody I've ever met in person cares about it.

    >> Yeah, but the trailer trash you live with are hardly representative of
    >> the population.

    >Dude, now that's an insult.
    >

    >You realize that trailer trash is far above waterperson, right? ;-)

    well yeah, but, it's not PC to insult the insane anymore.

    GK
    grant kinsley, Aug 5, 2004
  7. >Dude, now that's an insult.

    >You realize that trailer trash is far above waterperson, right? ;-)

    Dude, is that like WaterPersosn is far above WaterCloset or OutHouse? :)
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Aug 6, 2004
  8. >>You realize that trailer trash is far above waterperson, right? ;-)

    >well yeah, but, it's not PC to insult the insane anymore.
    >
    >GK

    Well, I guess I'm not going to get insulted at all!
    MarkZimmerman, Aug 6, 2004