Another Gigaset S450IP funny

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave Saville, Oct 21, 2013.

  1. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    Over the last few days I have been getting a lot of calls dropped at
    various length of call with a 702 error. Which is a Gigaset specific
    SIP code of "Socket error but we aren't going to help anymore".

    How on earth can they have something as complex as one of these boxes
    *without a log file*? Sheesh!.

    Anyway the 702 is followed by "Provider registration failed" and then
    it seems to recover to "normal".

    Talking to my ISP they suggested using traceroute. Which stopped at my
    router. Luckily I had an open syslog window at the same time and saw
    that traceroute was getting blocked at the firewall. In various greps
    of syslog whilst I fixed the firewall to allow out traceroute ports I
    spotted that there were also outgoing blocks against the Gigaset's
    address. WTF?

    Shortly after I got the Gigaset I disabled Gigaset.net on the
    telephony page as it just seemed to generate network traffic to no
    end. At this time the Gigaset was behind NAT.

    For a long time now the Gigaset has been on a public IP. Whilst I was
    messing around with it during the "locked out" saga I had enabled it
    again.

    What I *think* happens is that the gigaset.net thread, for want of a
    better term, tries to talk to its STUN server - recall it was set up
    before I put it on a public IP - and the firewall blocks the request,
    The Gigaset gets the hump, throws an error *and drops any current
    call* with no regard for which provider failed and which has a call in
    progress.

    I have disabled gigaset.net again - and removed the STUN setting in
    case - but does the above sound plausable? Only time will tell :)
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 21, 2013

  2. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:08:01 UTC, "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > What I *think* happens is that the gigaset.net thread, for want of a
    > better term, tries to talk to its STUN server - recall it was set up
    > before I put it on a public IP - and the firewall blocks the request,
    > The Gigaset gets the hump, throws an error *and drops any current
    > call* with no regard for which provider failed and which has a call in
    > progress.
    >
    > I have disabled gigaset.net again - and removed the STUN setting in
    > case - but does the above sound plausable? Only time will tell :)

    I checked my VOIP call logs and during the problem period there is no
    call longer than four minutes - which was the retry time on the STUN
    thing.

    I reported it to Gigaset and actually got a sensible reply. No doubt
    if the bug is still in current f/w they will fix it but I won't hold
    my breath about getting the S450IP f/w updated. I did have a dig about
    not being able to save the config which *has* been fixed in later
    versions.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville