    X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
    stable and working?
    ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.
    Robert Baer, Dec 3, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
    > times made mods during session.
    > Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
    > (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
    > Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
    > the graphics file.
    > Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
    > horizontal line to both.
    > Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
    > closed the CDR file.
    > Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
    > Got a little hot under collar.
    > Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
    > copied back to folder of original.
    > That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
    > X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
    > stable and working?
    > ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

    What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    "EAGLE"?

    Have you ever ran "chkdsk <drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
    partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?
    VanguardLH, Dec 4, 2013

  3. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
    >> times made mods during session.
    >> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
    >> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
    >> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
    >> the graphics file.
    >> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
    >> horizontal line to both.
    >> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
    >> closed the CDR file.
    >> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
    >> Got a little hot under collar.
    >> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
    >> copied back to folder of original.
    >> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
    >> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
    >> stable and working?
    >> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

    > What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    > thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    > "EAGLE"?
    >
    > Have you ever ran "chkdsk <drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
    > partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

    Eagle is for PCB design. "Baby Bird (GooGull)" refers to using
    Google for doing web searches.

    I can't figure out what's going on. If I had to start somewhere,
    I'd use Process Monitor (sysinternals.com) and try to get a
    complete trace without filter events, from new file to locked
    file or corrupted file. Just to see what other things are active
    and contributing to the mess.

    You can save a trace from Process Monitor, as a .PML file, and
    review it later if desired. All the events should be there.
    The biggest one I've ever gathered, was around 500MB.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 4, 2013
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
    >> times made mods during session.
    >> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
    >> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
    >> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
    >> the graphics file.
    >> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
    >> horizontal line to both.
    >> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
    >> closed the CDR file.
    >> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
    >> Got a little hot under collar.
    >> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
    >> copied back to folder of original.
    >> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
    >> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
    >> stable and working?
    >> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

    > What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    > thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    > "EAGLE"?

    * My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
    a reference source many people use.
    Eagle, or more properly E.A.G.L.E., sort for the CAD program Easily
    Applicable Graphical Layout Editor.

    > Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
    > partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

    Good idea; will try that. Avast shows zero malware.
    Robert Baer, Dec 4, 2013
  5. Robert Baer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    >> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    >> "EAGLE"?

    > * My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
    > a reference source many people use.

    Heard of "bingle" (Bing and Google, meaning when doing online searching
    to look at the results of those). This is the first and only time
    hearing Baby Bird but won't bother memorizing unless I hear it more
    often.

    > Avast shows zero malware.

    Also check with MalwareBytes AntiMalware. The free version doesn't
    include an on-access (realtime) scanner so it's good for just doing a
    manual scan. Be careful with its report since it may suggest changing
    registry settings that are user tweaks because malware might change
    them, too, along with PUPs (Probably Unwanted Programs). Many anti-
    malware tools like to report Nirsoft's tools as PUPs because some of its
    tools can be used to do nasty things since it can dig deep but, in the
    same overreaching vein, they should also be reporting any program
    compilers and script interpreters.
    VanguardLH, Dec 4, 2013
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
    >> times made mods during session.
    >> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
    >> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
    >> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
    >> the graphics file.
    >> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
    >> horizontal line to both.
    >> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
    >> closed the CDR file.
    >> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
    >> Got a little hot under collar.
    >> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
    >> copied back to folder of original.
    >> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
    >> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
    >> stable and working?
    >> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

    > What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    > thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    > "EAGLE"?
    >
    > Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
    > partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

    Have put CHKDSK C: /F onto the queue via the CMD emulator,shut down,
    booted up and looked at the results.
    It processed very fast and one cannot read what is happening most of
    the time.
    But there are zero problems.
    Robert Baer, Dec 5, 2013
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
    >>> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
    >>> "EAGLE"?

    >> * My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
    >> a reference source many people use.

    > Heard of "bingle" (Bing and Google, meaning when doing online searching
    > to look at the results of those). This is the first and only time
    > hearing Baby Bird but won't bother memorizing unless I hear it more
    > often.
    >
    >> Avast shows zero malware.

    > Also check with MalwareBytes AntiMalware. The free version doesn't
    > include an on-access (realtime) scanner so it's good for just doing a
    > manual scan. Be careful with its report since it may suggest changing
    > registry settings that are user tweaks because malware might change
    > them, too, along with PUPs (Probably Unwanted Programs). Many anti-
    > malware tools like to report Nirsoft's tools as PUPs because some of its
    > tools can be used to do nasty things since it can dig deep but, in the
    > same overreaching vein, they should also be reporting any program
    > compilers and script interpreters.

    "GooGull" is a term i created; doubt it will spread..
    Robert Baer, Dec 5, 2013
  8. Robert Baer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
    >> partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

    > Have put CHKDSK C: /F onto the queue via the CMD emulator,shut down,
    > booted up and looked at the results. It processed very fast and one
    > cannot read what is happening most of the time. But there are zero
    > problems.

    No, use the /r command-line parameter. The /f only checks integrity of
    the file system. It does *not* verify the sectors on the media of the
    hard disk can be reliably read. /f just checks the file system despite
    "chkdsk /?" saying /f "fixes errors on the disk". /r checks the actual
    media. /f only checks the clusters currently assigned within the file
    system. /r checks ALL clusters on the hard disk, including those that
    are not yet assigned (free) and will be used later, like when you're
    writing to files, even the one you currently opened from its existing
    clusters may use other clusters when you write the file.

    /r is not a comprehensive test. It doesn't exercise the media to test
    for problems, like waning retentiveness (dipole stress of magnetic media
    which weakens the signal strength as the dipoles want to align to their
    natural least "stress" position relative to the other dipoles). GRC
    (Gibson Research) has an extension Spinrite program but it costs $89 (so
    you could buy another drive for the money -- this is really a utility
    you put in your software toolbox to fix more than one disk). It has a
    function that users rarely think about: refreshing their sectors.
    Dipole stress will weaken the bits recorded on the media. So if you
    never write to that same spot, the bit will become harder to read over
    time. There might be other tools than Spinrite that exercise the bits
    to ensure they are at max strength. I think HDD Regenerator ($100) can
    also do an in-place bit fresh but I suspect they call regeneration.
    Many folks will make the blanket statement that if such tools find
    problems with the hard disk that it's time to save the data and replace
    the disk. Not true. It depends on what types of "errors" get reported.
    For example, if bits were found to be weak but a refresh gets done then
    there is no physical fault with the drive. Dipole stress occurs with
    all magnetic media. Without such a tool, the only way I know how to
    touch all the in-use bits to refresh them is to save an image backup,
    format the partition, and restore the image. That's a lot of work. I
    figure my average lifespan for an install of Windows is about 3 years, 4
    at the most. By then, I've encountered problems with the old OS and
    instead of trying to dig into them and spend days or weeks on a problem,
    I just start over with a fresh install of the OS, install the apps, do
    updates, and restore data from backups. However, if you don't do that
    for 6-7 years then those dipoles are tilting under stress and becoming
    weaker to read. Spinrite (and another but I don't remember its name but
    is similarly priced to Spinrite) will do an in-place refresh of all
    those used bits.

    If "chkdsk <drive> /r" finds problems, let it fix them. Those problems
    it reports are with reading from the media. You don't want to only test
    the bits in the clusters that are currently assigned to files. You want
    to test the rest of the media, too, since that is to where you be
    writing your files. If /r doesn't find any problems then use the drive
    maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
    and is free.

    CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
    output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
    Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
    the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
    too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
    window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
    exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
    of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
    mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.
    VanguardLH, Dec 5, 2013
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]

    > to test the rest of the media, too, since that is to where you be
    > writing your files. If /r doesn't find any problems then use the drive
    > maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
    > and is free.
    >
    > CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
    > output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
    > Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
    > the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
    > too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
    > window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
    > exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
    > of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
    > mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.

    So to speak,i grew up with DOS; that is the level used for GhostPE and
    SpinRite (which i have had every version since 1.0).
    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, Dec 7, 2013
  10. Robert Baer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

> [...]

    >> maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
    >> and is free.
    >>
    >> CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
    >> output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
    >> Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
    >> the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
    >> too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
    >> window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
    >> exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
    >> of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
    >> mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.

    > So to speak,i grew up with DOS; that is the level used for GhostPE and
    > SpinRite (which i have had every version since 1.0).

    I lost my SpinRite 5.0 in a move. I wanted to upgrade but didn't have
    the old version from which to upgrade to a newer version. The full
    price is a bit high and I can buy a hefty sized new hard disk for that
    price. I have backups on separate media so when a disk goes bad it's a
    choice between buying Spinrite to resurrect a failing drive or buy a new
    drive. Buying a new drive has won so far several times. If I was
    maintaining lots of computers, like at the help desk or computer shop,
    then Spinrite's cost would be the operating expenses of building a
    software toolbox for hardware recovery.

    Have you ran Spinrite on your drive?
    VanguardLH, Dec 8, 2013