Another dead format?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ghost Cat, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Ghost Cat

    Ghost Cat Guest

    Noel (Flexplay 48-Hour DVD) - Amazon.com Exclusive

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068RELO/

    Is this another dead format or are studios testing waters of rental media
    again? DIVX has flopped but that could be explained to the need of more
    expensive players, registration via phone line etc. This time it is going to
    play on ordinary machines and there are tens of millions of them already.
    For DIVX customers it was a new thing, for most people it was a new thing
    back then, yet the outcry was enormous. Circuit City was not very popular
    store among early adopters of DVD. Did Amazon took that into consideration?

    Anyway, price and convenience beats all. No matter how much there will be
    outcry "Boycott Amazon!" in DVD newsgroups and forums most will go where the
    price is low and the sailing is smooth.

    Let's look at the price.

    $4.99 + $2.98 (shipping) = $7.07

    A bit steep for 48 hour DVD, don't you think? 43 cents more and you can
    watch it on a big screen many months in advance. Interestingly enough the
    regular DVD cost $2.49 to ship on Amazon. I wonder why the difference.

    As for the convenience part, shopping on Amazon became pain in the azz. Even
    when you manage to find what you need, swatting off annoying offers getting
    in your eyes like flies on a hot day, you click on buy and the flies follow
    you to the other screen. Did I step on a cow pie? Is there a dead mouse in
    my hairdo? - the thoughts begin racing in your mind. - Where is "checkout"
    button? I can't see anything. Get off me bloody buzzers! Ah, here it is.
    Click. Damn! They are still there. I can't see what I'm ordering. What's the
    shipping? Where's my address? What button should I click next? OH, F**K IT!
    I am out of here.

    Thank you for shipping on Amazon! - the explamation sign, now reminding more
    a questiion mark or a used sex toy, tries in vain to catch up to the echo of
    your steps running away.

    Ghost Cat, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Ghost Cat

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Yes, I say it's already a failure. Just read those shill reviews about it.
    Yeeesh.

    "I cancelled my Netflix so I could rent this title. Taking the DVD's all the
    way to the mailbox was way too much trouble. This concept it awesome!"

    HUH????????

    Pug Fugley, Nov 8, 2004

  3. >Is this another dead format or are studios testing waters of rental media
    >again?

    It's, indeed, another dead format.

    FlexPlay is Disney's mistaken answer to try and counter the rental market.

    Amazon is not the only retailer to stock items for sale. There are some
    convenience outlets, such as 7-Eleven and Circle-K, that sell discs.

    Selection is abyssmal and is usually limited only to hit titles from Buena
    Vista (Disney, Touchstone, Dimension, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax).

    That's the other problem with Pay-Per-View formats. You won't see very many
    titles that aren't mainstream. Divx and FlexPlay have to cater to the lowest
    common denominator with what's most "popular" to be profitable to the extent
    that the studios would want. This would, in my opinion, flood the market with
    cookie-cutter releases and keep truly cutting edge cinema out of reach for home
    video release.

    Fortunately, the average Joe or Jane would rather buy a disc that he can play
    over and over that won't self-destruct "in five seconds." If someone wanted to
    rent a movie, that person would usually go to Blockbuster and not bother with
    FlexPlay. People may try FlexPlay for the sake of curiousity, but I suspect
    that it would stay that way for the majority of DVD users.

    When people spend money to rent, they are aware that they have to return it.
    When people spend money to buy something, then they are expecting to be able to
    use it for as long as they keep it, even though people may know that a FlexPlay
    disc will expire once you open the sealed package.

    It's the expectation that follows through what any buyer will experience, I
    suppose. No one buys something that will spoil days later after opening it,
    unless you think of a FlexPlay title like certain kinds of food. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 8, 2004
  4. "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    <<Yes, I say it's already a failure. Just read those shill reviews about
    it. Yeeesh.>>

    <<"I cancelled my Netflix so I could rent this title. Taking the DVD's
    all the way to the mailbox was way too much trouble. This concept it
    awesome!">>

    <<HUH????????>>

    That Amazon site is getting worse and worse. There are now more shills
    on Amazon than there are on eBay. I thought that you were making up that
    Netflix thing. But, sure enough, it's right there on the Amazon site:

    "I recently cancelled my account with Netflix... I am VERY excited
    about the Flexplay concept. It is exactly what a family like mine
    needs; no late fees, no monthly fee commitment, movies at MY
    convenience, for 4 times less than it would cost my family to go to
    the theatre!"

    And of course, the "awesome", Menthol-KOOL, throwaway technology is
    worth the price of admission:

    "And for the record, I havent' seen Noel, but I'm definitely getting
    this movie on Flexplay. As cool as the technology is, I'm getting
    one as a gift for a bunch of my non-techie friends who will be
    baffled by this awesome technology."

    The "distinctive red" adjective ad line and the double-whammy "coolness
    factor" give this one away:

    "I have seen the Flexplay technology in Disney's ez-D releases, and
    itis the coolest thing! You will totally love it. You can buy the
    distinctive red DVD anywhere, and open the package and watch the
    movie whenever you feel like, even at 1am instead of dumb
    informercials and reruns. And you never have to worry about
    returning it, as 48 hours later the DVD turns into a black coaster.
    I plan to buy several as stocking stuffers. Much less hassle than
    giving someone a Blockbuster rental coupon, not to mention the
    coolness factor. That's why I am giving the 5 stars.

    Oh, and this gem from the Flexplay ad committee:

    "... the DVD IS RADICAL!... As soon as you open the packaging, some
    Inspector Gadget style technology takes over where you have only 48
    hours to watch the movie as many times as possible before it self
    destructs. Okay, so it doesn't really self destruct....it just stops
    playing. But the concept is genius... great movie...even better
    technology.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 8, 2004