    For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB modem
    and that died from a lightning strike!

    P.
    PeeCee, May 13, 2009

  2. In message <4a0b802f$>, vitw wrote:

    > I bought a generic unbadged ethernet ADSL modem (Conexant firmware) from
    > XP Computers in Newmarket 5 years ago for $60, and it hasn't missed a
    > beat!

    Yeah, I got something like that. Dick Smith product code XH1172, I see they
    have a new one, the XH9972. Just a modem, no routing--all the routing, NAT
    and packet filtering is done on my Linux box.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 14, 2009

  3. PeeCee

    JohnO Guest

    On May 14, 2:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, vitw wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a generic unbadged ethernet ADSL modem (Conexant firmware) from
    > > XP Computers in Newmarket 5 years ago for $60, and it hasn't missed a
    > > beat!

    > Yeah, I got something like that. Dick Smith product code XH1172, I see they
    > have a new one, the XH9972. Just a modem, no routing--all the routing, NAT
    > and packet filtering is done on my Linux box.

    I have a Netgear DG834G modem/router/wifi and it seems to still be
    going fine after a couple of years. I do need to reboot it every
    couple of months but that's probably because it's a linux based
    appliance! :)

    I do need to check if it's adsl2+ compatible though. Our street
    cabinet is only one house away so am hoping for close to 20mb/sec
    download 1mb/sec upload. Currently get gets 5-6mbit/sec on plain ol'
    adsl,
    JohnO, May 14, 2009
  4. PeeCee

    Dogboy Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > FWIW
    >
    > RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
    > Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
    > Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
    > This one is even inside warranty for a change.
    >
    > For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB
    > modem and that died from a lightning strike!

    Dynalink seems to be the new D-Link these days, I've seen a number of
    them die or have strange faults in the past year.
    Dogboy, May 16, 2009
  5. PeeCee

    Enkidu Guest

    Dogboy wrote:
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> FWIW
    >>
    >> RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
    >> Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
    >> Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
    >> This one is even inside warranty for a change.
    >>
    >> For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB
    >> modem and that died from a lightning strike!
    >>

    > Dynalink seems to be the new D-Link these days, I've seen a number of
    > them die or have strange faults in the past year.

    I had a USR one to test. It wouldn't even connect, though several much
    cheaper brands had no problems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2009
  6. In article <gufh7m$4h1$>, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >FWIW
    >
    >RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
    >Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
    >Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
    >This one is even inside warranty for a change.
    >
    >For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB modem
    >and that died from a lightning strike!

    My experience (from a long time ago) says that if it's broken, dynalink will
    replace it. Has that policy changed ?
    Bruce Sinclair, May 18, 2009