Another classic wish-lister bites the dust:

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Adrian S. Kuiper, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Hell...I'm waiting for "Captain From Castile"....

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Just surfaced on DVDPricesearch:

    Derek Janssen, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Dec 29, 2003
  4. >>>Just surfaced on DVDPricesearch:

    >>>The 1990 Mel Gibson "Hamlet", Warner, 2/24/04, $19.97 (ie. basic)

    >> That's what they'll pay people to watch it? :)
    >> I'm not sure it's enough.

    > Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    Why, is it coming? :-D

    I saw the wink, I don't care, I gotta ask.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Poisonmail Guest

    >Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    Heh. I wish.

    n.
    ======================
    Nathan Phillips
    http://www.dusty-books.com/
    Poisonmail, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Justin Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote on [Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:38:04 -0600]:

    >>> That's what they'll pay people to watch it? :)
    >>> I'm not sure it's enough.

    >> Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    > Why, is it coming? :-D

    I doubt it's even breathing hard
    Justin, Dec 30, 2003
  7. >>>Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    >> Why, is it coming? :-D
    >>
    >> I saw the wink, I don't care, I gotta ask.

    > No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping,
    > four-hour mistake... : /

    Can't say I agree at all. I disagree with a few of the casting choices,
    but KB's version really wowed me with all the visual touches and camera
    work. And I'd much rather someone be over-faithful to the script than
    to change things to "improve" such an oft-done story... escpecially when
    such changes become self-indulgent.

    >Hey, we ARE talking about the same "Romeo & Juliet" director, after
    >all,
    > and Gibson's mad-Riggs edge adds a needed dose of decidedly
    > anti-melancholy energy, compared to Branagh's mannered assembly-line
    > performance.

    Yeah, but Gibson goes way over-the-top when confronting Gertrude with
    the pendant. I liked Gibson's performance as a whole, but there's some
    parts where he really should have done one more take, IMO.

    > ...And yeah, the '00 Ethan Hawke version probably IS better overall,
    > but as individual performances go, Hawke just can't Hamlet.)

    Never seen it.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Stan Brown wrote:
    > In article <3ff05d8f$0$4761$> in alt.video.dvd,
    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    >
    >>Just surfaced on DVDPricesearch:
    >>
    >>The 1990 Mel Gibson "Hamlet", Warner, 2/24/04, $19.97 (ie. basic)

    > That's what they'll pay people to watch it? :)
    > I'm not sure it's enough.

    Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2003
  9. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    >>>That's what they'll pay people to watch it? :)
    >>>I'm not sure it's enough.

    >>Oh, I'm so sorry...Enjoy the Kenneth Branagh version. ;)

    > Why, is it coming? :-D
    >
    > I saw the wink, I don't care, I gotta ask.

    No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping, four-hour
    mistake... : /

    (By which point, I wanted to circumvent any cheap unresearched "Lethal
    Hamlet" casting jokes still left over from 1990, by sticking up for the
    Gibson/Zefferelli as one of the top three versions out there--
    Hey, we ARE talking about the same "Romeo & Juliet" director, after all,
    and Gibson's mad-Riggs edge adds a needed dose of decidedly
    anti-melancholy energy, compared to Branagh's mannered assembly-line
    performance.

    ....And yeah, the '00 Ethan Hawke version probably IS better overall, but
    as individual performances go, Hawke just can't Hamlet.)

    Derek Janssen (did I mention Helena Bonham Carter as Ophelia?...If you'd
    seen it, I wouldn't have to.)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping, four-hour

    FINALLY!!!

    I thought I was the only person in the world that hated that turkey.
    "Mistake" is right.

    I agree with Derek, also: *much* preferred the Gibson version.
    Peter Briggs, Dec 30, 2003
  11. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <3ff1045d$0$4736$> in alt.video.dvd,
    Derek Janssen wrote:
    >No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping, four-hour
    >mistake... : /

    You're entitled to your opinion, however wrong you may be. :)

    I can't imagine why the good version hasn't been released on DVD
    yet. Surely the audience is at least as great as for Bergman's
    /Magic Flute/ or Romero's /Knightriders/, both of which are much
    more obscure.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Peter Briggs wrote:

    >>No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping, four-hour mistake

    > FINALLY!!!
    >
    > I thought I was the only person in the world that hated that turkey.
    > "Mistake" is right.
    >
    > I agree with Derek, also: *much* preferred the Gibson version.

    I don't judge by complicated standards, I pretty much determine by how
    well a version handles the play scene--

    Hawke's was okay, Gibson/Zef's aced it, but did Branagh even READ the
    script??

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Adrian S. Kuiper

    madkevin Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3ff1045d$0$4736$> in alt.video.dvd,
    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    > >No, but man, that "faithful" Branagh version was one whopping, four-hour
    > >mistake... : /

    > You're entitled to your opinion, however wrong you may be. :)
    >
    > I can't imagine why the good version hasn't been released on DVD
    > yet. Surely the audience is at least as great as for Bergman's
    > /Magic Flute/ or Romero's /Knightriders/, both of which are much
    > more obscure.

    Mitigated slightly by the fact that both of those are better movies.

    I'm with Derek on this one. There's a really excellent reason why doing the
    entire, unabridged "Hamlet" makes for a very dull movie, even without the
    annoyances of the stunt casting and the general scenery-chewing of Kenneth.
    (Hint: Show, don't tell.) KB's "Hamlet" is a great set design in search of a
    director and a casting agent with veto power.

    Kevin "Mad" Cogliano
    madkevin, Dec 31, 2003
  14. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Ronald Cole Guest

    "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> writes:
    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message news:3ff05d8f$0$4761$...
    >> Just surfaced on DVDPricesearch:
    >> The 1990 Mel Gibson "Hamlet", Warner, 2/24/04, $19.97 (ie. basic)
    >> Derek Janssen (okay, who feels old?)

    > Hell...I'm waiting for "Captain From Castile"....

    Eh? What's that you say? "Captain and Tennille" on DVD?

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    Ronald Cole, Dec 31, 2003