    live/landline and would use pay as you go again...

    TIA.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Dec 23, 2006

  2. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Earl Grey Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >
    > It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    > model, with pay as you go feature.
    > Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    > so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    > more if needbe].
    >
    > My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    > live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Cath

    It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    trouble.

    Earl Grey, Dec 23, 2006

  3. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Phil Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote, On 12/23/06 3:45 PM:
    > It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    > model, with pay as you go feature.
    > Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    > so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    > more if needbe].

    You'll need to make sure that it supports the 900MHz and 1800MHz GSM
    bands (most phones do this, and are labelled as 'quadband').

    The phone must also not be locked to a specific operator, as this can be
    a pain to get unlocked (although, I believe that operators in the US
    must do it for you now).

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 23, 2006
  4. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    El Chippy Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:458ca8fd$...

    > It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    > in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    > trouble.

    Prepay sim card packs (including $15 of airtime if you register online) are
    only NZ$35

    http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?site=&w=connection pack

    El Chippy, Dec 23, 2006
  5. John in Wembley, Dec 23, 2006
  6. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Rob Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:458ca8fd$...
    >
    >> It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    >> in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    >> trouble.
    >>

    > Prepay sim card packs (including $15 of airtime if you register online) are
    > only NZ$35
    >
    > http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?site=&w=connection pack

    You will need to replace the charger. 240v vs 110v

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/

    Fine, fine, everything is fine. But using your GUI's breaking my mind!
    Change this, don't change that, can't you redesign!!! (to the tune of
    'read the signs')

    Rob, Dec 23, 2006
  7. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    thingy Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >> I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >>
    >> It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    >> model, with pay as you go feature.
    >> Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    >> so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    >> more if needbe].
    >>
    >> My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    >> live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Cath

    > It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    > in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    > trouble.

    DSe are $35 stndalone....I think that is the std price....I just got a
    Motorolla c118 for $88 incl $10 for the sim...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 23, 2006
  8. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    thingy Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >
    > It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    > model, with pay as you go feature.
    > Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    > so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    > more if needbe].
    >
    > My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    > live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Cath

    You need the GSM standard.....so look for phones that take sim cards.

    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/roaming_will_mobile_work.jsp

    A NZ phone works with these,

    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/...verseas&item=where in the world can you roam?

    So I assume the reverse is true.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 23, 2006
  9. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    David Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >
    > It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    > model, with pay as you go feature.
    > Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    > so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    > more if needbe].
    >
    > My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    > live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Cath

    Don't get a CDMA phone. You probably won't be able to use it on
    telecom's network and they're just crap in general (call quality is awful).

    Any multiband GSM phone should be fine, I think we use 900Mhz here, so
    ask about this before you buy. Also, ask whether the phone will be
    locked to a specific operator, and if they will unlock it if this is the
    case.

    David, Dec 23, 2006
  10. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Phil exclaimed:
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote, On 12/23/06 3:45 PM:
    > > It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    > > model, with pay as you go feature.
    > > Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    > > so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    > > more if needbe].

    > You'll need to make sure that it supports the 900MHz and 1800MHz GSM
    > bands (most phones do this, and are labelled as 'quadband').

    Most phones? Not in the US - the majority are operator-locked CDMA
    phones.

    In summary, this idea is probably not worth pursuing.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 24, 2006
  11. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Richard Guest

    Rob wrote:

    >> Prepay sim card packs (including $15 of airtime if you register
    >> online) are only NZ$35
    >>
    >> http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?site=&w=connection pack
    >>

    > You will need to replace the charger. 240v vs 110v

    Probarbly not, since every phone I have owned other then the shockingly
    outdated nokia 1100 that woger bags all the time has had a small
    switchmode one.

    My ericsson charger went with a friend all the way around the world,
    only stopping working when the pins finally snapped of from being bent
    too many times.

    Richard, Dec 24, 2006
  12. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:45:18 -0600, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    >I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >
    >It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    >model, with pay as you go feature.
    >Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    >so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    >more if needbe].
    >
    >My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    >live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >Cath

    Get a Unlocked phone as Vodafone (GSM) here does not lock the phones, if you need to get it
    unlocked you will have to pay.

    Plus try and get a model that is supported here.

    Mathew Good, Dec 25, 2006
  13. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:22:46 +1300, Rob <Here@home> wrote:

    >El Chippy wrote:
    >> "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:458ca8fd$...
    >>
    >>> It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    >>> in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    >>> trouble.
    >>>

    >> Prepay sim card packs (including $15 of airtime if you register online) are
    >> only NZ$35
    >>
    >> http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?site=&w=connection pack
    >>

    >You will need to replace the charger. 240v vs 110v

    Most new phones these day and Even old ones use Electronic chargers that can work any ware.

    90v to 240v

    Mathew Good, Dec 25, 2006
  14. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:49:52 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >Earl Grey wrote:
    >> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>> I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >>>
    >>> It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    >>> model, with pay as you go feature.
    >>> Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    >>> so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    >>> more if needbe].
    >>>
    >>> My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    >>> live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Cath

    >> It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    >> in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    >> trouble.
    >>

    >DSe are $35 stndalone....I think that is the std price....I just got a
    >Motorolla c118 for $88 incl $10 for the sim...
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Yes was told its 100% Crap Phone when I enquired as C.C. as they had one for sale new for $35nz.

    Mathew Good, Dec 25, 2006
  15. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    James West Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>> I have to buy a cell phone which I didn't want to do!
    >>>
    >>> It is my intention of picking up a cheap read that as under US$20
    >>> model, with pay as you go feature.
    >>> Now, is it at all possible one I buy here could be used in NZ and if
    >>> so, what should I look for here in a phone [ok I will pay a little
    >>> more if needbe].
    >>>
    >>> My use in NZ would be only initially until we get a place to
    >>> live/landline and would use pay as you go again...
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Cath

    >> It costs $50 for a prepay simcard to put in your phone if you bring one
    >> in, and a cheap phone with a prepay sim is $80 retail, hardly worth the
    >> trouble.
    >>

    > DSe are $35 stndalone....I think that is the std price....I just got a
    > Motorolla c118 for $88 incl $10 for the sim...

    was 49.99 at Leemings with FREE sim2

    James West, Dec 26, 2006