Another camera ditches the AA filter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Apr 16, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Apr 16, 2013

  2. Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 17, 2013

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <8cecf01e-8920-4646-86db-d298f3fe0579
    > @w3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
    >
    > > Does anyone see a pattern developing here?

    > >http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/ricoh-gr-upcoming-aps-c-compact.html

    > How are Ricoh planning to deal with aliasing?
    > --

    I don't think they believe it'll be a real issue. The cost saving by
    eliminating the AA filter might be a consideration. Even though some
    companies actually charge more for a camera without one than with.
    RichA, Apr 18, 2013
  4. RichA <> wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >> In article <8cecf01e-8920-4646-86db-d298f3fe0579
    >> @w3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
    >>
    >> > Does anyone see a pattern developing here?

    >> >http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/ricoh-gr-upcoming-aps-c-compact.html

    >> How are Ricoh planning to deal with aliasing?

    > I don't think they believe it'll be a real issue. The cost saving by
    > eliminating the AA filter might be a consideration. Even though some
    > companies actually charge more for a camera without one than with.

    The D800E is said to be without an AA filter. In fact it has 1/2 an AA
    filter followed by a negative half AA filter. Or something like that.
    A case of WYSINWYG. Which is part of the reason for the extra cost.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Apr 18, 2013
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 18, 4:24 pm, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > > On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > >> In article <8cecf01e-8920-4646-86db-d298f3fe0579
    > >> @w3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...

    > >> How are Ricoh planning to deal with aliasing?

    > > I don't think they believe it'll be a real issue.  The cost saving by
    > > eliminating the AA filter might be a consideration.  Even though some
    > > companies actually charge more for a camera without one than with.

    > The D800E is said to be without an AA filter. In fact it has 1/2 an AA
    > filter followed by a negative half AA filter. Or something like that.
    > A case of WYSINWYG. Which is part of the reason for the extra cost.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Malcolm

    But the D7100 eliminated it.
    RichA, Apr 19, 2013
  6. Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >> On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    >> I don't think they believe it'll be a real issue. The cost saving by
    >> eliminating the AA filter might be a consideration. Even though some
    >> companies actually charge more for a camera without one than with.

    > The D800E is said to be without an AA filter. In fact it has 1/2 an AA
    > filter followed by a negative half AA filter. Or something like that.
    > A case of WYSINWYG. Which is part of the reason for the extra cost.

    Bull.

    It would be far costlier if you need to produce 2 different
    camera bodies with different optical paths. Remember that's
    mass manufacturing for a mass market, and only in that way
    you can have such complicated exact tools for such prices.

    The reason for the extra cost is that THE MAKET WILL BEAR IT.
    It's very hard to understand, I know, I know, but manufacturing
    costs and the money you pay for the item has absolutely
    no relation. Think "loss leader" and "hybrid costing" ---
    manufacturing costs are not even guaranteed to be a lower limit.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 2, 2013
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/2/2013 5:43 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>> On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    >>> I don't think they believe it'll be a real issue. The cost saving by
    >>> eliminating the AA filter might be a consideration. Even though some
    >>> companies actually charge more for a camera without one than with.

    >> The D800E is said to be without an AA filter. In fact it has 1/2 an AA
    >> filter followed by a negative half AA filter. Or something like that.
    >> A case of WYSINWYG. Which is part of the reason for the extra cost.

    > Bull.
    >
    > It would be far costlier if you need to produce 2 different
    > camera bodies with different optical paths. Remember that's
    > mass manufacturing for a mass market, and only in that way
    > you can have such complicated exact tools for such prices.
    >
    > The reason for the extra cost is that THE MAKET WILL BEAR IT.
    > It's very hard to understand, I know, I know, but manufacturing
    > costs and the money you pay for the item has absolutely
    > no relation. Think "loss leader" and "hybrid costing" ---
    > manufacturing costs are not even guaranteed to be a lower limit.

    OMG The world is about to come to an end. I am forced to agree.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, May 3, 2013