    doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?

    I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just came across this item
    > <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004320>, about
    > this doctor who has had a laptop stolen containing "irreplaceable"
    > medical research information on meningococcal meningitis.
    > I'm thinking, the loss of that information could be a setback to the
    > treatment of the disease, and could very well lead to some kids' lives
    > being lost. But it's not the thieves I blame for this, it's the idiot
    > doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    > goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?
    >
    > I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    I agree.
    This was on the TV news this evening, and my immediate thought was that they
    should simply use the latest backup.
    So either the Dr is negligent in managing that valuable data, or they are
    just trying to shame the thief into giving the goods back (hoping the thief
    doesn't know about backups).
    I hope both faults are rectified.

    Peter

    Peter, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:56:27 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Just came across this item
    > <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004320>, about
    > this doctor who has had a laptop stolen containing "irreplaceable"
    > medical research information on meningococcal meningitis.
    >
    > I'm thinking, the loss of that information could be a setback to the
    > treatment of the disease, and could very well lead to some kids' lives
    > being lost. But it's not the thieves I blame for this, it's the idiot
    > doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    > goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?
    >
    > I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    I had some mp3's that were supposed to be genuine calls to help desks. Some
    were funny, one (sounded like Peter Cooke) was a guy complaining about the
    passenger seat jamming in the down position and the door knob falling off
    the drivers seat of his rolls. It was funny :)

    Another was some guy ringing Compaq, about a laptop he had sent in for
    service, and it had come back with a screwed hard drive. He had written a
    novel on it and not backed up. 3 years work. He starts out in anger but
    toward the end of the call all you can sense is grief. He is nearly crying.
    Not so funny.

    btw, if anyone has that rolls royce mp3, pls email it me? I no longer have
    it and I'd like to.

    Warwick, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Warwick, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Just came across this item
    > <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004320>, about
    > this doctor who has had a laptop stolen containing "irreplaceable"
    > medical research information on meningococcal meningitis.
    >
    > I'm thinking, the loss of that information could be a setback to the
    > treatment of the disease, and could very well lead to some kids' lives
    > being lost. But it's not the thieves I blame for this, it's the idiot
    > doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    > goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?
    >
    > I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    His employer or whoever he answers to should also be found culpable.

    This guys is a doctor. Whoever handles his IT *is* responsible if they did
    not provide - and ensure - he did regular backups.

    steve, Dec 25, 2004
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 25, 2004
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    David Preece Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Another was some guy ringing Compaq, about a laptop he had sent in for
    > service, and it had come back with a screwed hard drive. He had written a
    > novel on it and not backed up. 3 years work. He starts out in anger but
    > toward the end of the call all you can sense is grief.

    My sister in law is doing a PhD on her laptop. Poor woman, every time
    she calls I'm like "have you backed it up, where is it, have you
    actually opened it to make sure it's all there".

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 26, 2004
  9. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Dec 26, 2004
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just came across this item
    > <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004320>, about
    > this doctor who has had a laptop stolen containing "irreplaceable"
    > medical research information on meningococcal meningitis.
    >
    > I'm thinking, the loss of that information could be a setback to the
    > treatment of the disease, and could very well lead to some kids' lives
    > being lost. But it's not the thieves I blame for this, it's the idiot
    > doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    > goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?
    >
    > I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    You want to prosecute someone for being stupid and losing their own
    data? Assuming it is his research, it is really his to do with whatever
    he likes. Stupidity isn't a crime.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Dec 27, 2004
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Dec 27, 2004
  12. Warwick wrote:

    > btw, if anyone has that rolls royce mp3, pls email it me? I no longer have
    > it and I'd like to.

    Does it say something along the lines of "and you can **** it in the
    exhaust pipe because it's fucked"?

    If so, I don't have it anymore, but I remember it.

    I'm a Trampoline, Dec 27, 2004

    I'm a Trampoline, Dec 27, 2004
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Just came across this item
    >> <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004320>, about this
    >> doctor who has had a laptop stolen containing "irreplaceable" medical
    >> research information on meningococcal meningitis.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking, the loss of that information could be a setback to the
    >> treatment of the disease, and could very well lead to some kids' lives
    >> being lost. But it's not the thieves I blame for this, it's the idiot
    >> doctor. I mean, they had all this important research accumulated over
    >> goodness-knows-how-long, and they never thought to make a backup copy?
    >>
    >> I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    > You want to prosecute someone for being stupid and losing their own data?
    > Assuming it is his research, it is really his to do with whatever he
    > likes. Stupidity isn't a crime.

    No, stupidity itself is not a crime, but to act stupidly in some situations
    might be. If your act of commission or ommission causes someone else a harm,
    and if a reasonable person would have acted differently under the
    circumstances so as to minimize the occurence of that harm, then you could
    be held liable.

    The relevant questions then are:

    1) Who else, if anyone, was harmed? Consider not only the loss of
    potentially beneficially knowledge but also the possibility of private
    patient records being exposed.

    2) Who's responsible for the stupid action that caused the harm? Consider
    not only the doctor himself but also the research institute that is backing
    him.

    impossible, Dec 27, 2004
  15. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Dec 27, 2004
  16. steve wrote:
    >>I think the doctor should be done for negligence. What do you think?

    > His employer or whoever he answers to should also be found culpable.

    > This guys is a doctor. Whoever handles his IT *is* responsible if they did
    > not provide - and ensure - he did regular backups.

    Not all doctors surgeries have IT dept, and if it's handled by a PC
    shop, then they'll probably only give him what he's willing to pay for.
    As for his employer being held responsible, I'm sure they said it was
    his personal laptop, not a work laptop, so I'm guessing that it was
    personally owned by him.

    Chances are he caw an ad for a Dell laptop on TV, rang the number, and
    that was the last contact he had with them.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 28, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Jerry wrote:
    > Stupidity isn't a crime.