    to pursue strategic alternatives for its Rainbow DBS business." The
    news had a positive and immediate effect on the Cablevision stock,
    which closed at $25.06 yesterday, up by 13.3%.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Richard

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > from ticker.tvbarn.com
    >
    > Cablevision has decided to suspend its Voom satellite service, which
    > included several high-definition channels, but had only a modest
    > 25,000 subscribers by the end of third qtr 2004.

    Umm, no. I have not followed Voom closely, but it appears to be a
    start-up which was seriously undercapitalized and mis-managed the store
    sales, installation and field support end. The stories conflict on
    whether they are actually suspending the service or just suspending
    their plans to try to sell it with other operations as a spin-off. Hard
    to start up a new satellite system now that DirectTV and Dish are firmly
    established and also offer HD, albeit much more limited.

    I got a 42" HD plasma last week and the improvement in picture quality
    and experience in just watching DVDs is just amazing, let alone the
    dozen or so HD channels on Comcast.

    Alan Figgatt
    Alan Figgatt, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Richard

    Jordan Guest

    Jordan, Dec 23, 2004
  4. Richard

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    luminos, says...

    > The pricing is not insane. The basic plus package is $49.95.

    The pricing structure *was* insane. Sure the base package had 26 HD
    channels, none of which was particularly good. You have to pay 89/month
    to get HBO-HD. Thanks, but between 0ff-the-air HD and DirectTV, I get
    all the HD I need or want for half the price. The fact that it failed
    was all about a bad business model, not a lack of interest in HD.
    Mark Spatny, Dec 25, 2004
  6. Richard

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > luminos, says...
    > >
    > > The pricing is not insane. The basic plus package is $49.95.

    > The pricing structure *was* insane. Sure the base package had 26 HD
    > channels, none of which was particularly good. You have to pay 89/month
    > to get HBO-HD. Thanks, but between 0ff-the-air HD and DirectTV, I get
    > all the HD I need or want for half the price. The fact that it failed
    > was all about a bad business model, not a lack of interest in HD.

    There is a SEVERE lack of interest in HD TV for guys like me.

    reasons:

    1. If it is on HBO HD its allready been on DVD (usually) and though DVD isnt
    better than HD it IS better than HBO.

    2. To generate interest in OTA HDTV the networks have to stop supplying
    dreck, and actually produce some meaningfull programs. Crap in High Def is
    STILL crap.

    3. Lack of HD DVD content until some kind of agreement is reached, and I dont
    mean six studios jumping on one format and a half dozen jumping on another.

    When the product is there to watch, the interest in HD will go up.

    There are some of us who DONT watch sports on TV or watch Hi Def just because
    it is Hi Def.

    When all new TVs on the shelf are HD, the prices will come down, THEN there
    will be more interest generated by the general public.

    I dont want to be miss-understood here.. I have a dish in the yard, and its
    been working for a VERY long time. I have a digital-sidecar on the reciever
    and most of the HD stuff out there is available to me, it just hasnt
    generated any interest in my household.

    The price of a HD TV is JUST TO HIGH to justify the purchase, as there are
    only 3 to 5 hours a week of general programing that is watched by my family.

    Wanna sell ME and HD TV??? Get the History Channel going in HD 24/7/365 and
    you will have my attention.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 25, 2004
  7. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Larry, says...
    > When the product is there to watch, the interest in HD will go up.

    SNIP
    > The price of a HD TV is JUST TO HIGH to justify the purchase, as there are
    > only 3 to 5 hours a week of general programing that is watched by my family.

    Fair enough. HD doesn't appeal to you for your viewing habits. However,
    it would be fair to point out that for people who watch regular network
    TV, nearly every scripted show is produced in HD these days. Whether you
    like West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Carnivale, ER, or dozens of other
    shows, they are available in HD, and many look downright gorgeous.
    Mark Spatny, Dec 27, 2004
  8. Richard

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Fair enough. HD doesn't appeal to you for your viewing habits. However,
    > it would be fair to point out that for people who watch regular network
    > TV, nearly every scripted show is produced in HD these days. Whether you
    > like West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Carnivale, ER, or dozens of other
    > shows, they are available in HD, and many look downright gorgeous.

    Thats exactly the problem!

    I'll watch ER ('cause my wife got me addicted) and I have watched West Wing
    twice this year, but the largest part of the Network schedule is CRAP, and
    LOOKING GOOD is NOT reason enough to watch it.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 27, 2004
  9. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Larry, says...
    > I'll watch ER ('cause my wife got me addicted) and I have watched West Wing
    > twice this year, but the largest part of the Network schedule is CRAP, and
    > LOOKING GOOD is NOT reason enough to watch it.

    Well, luckily most people don't agree with your assesment that the
    network schedule is crap, and tens of millions of people are still
    enthusiastically tuning in every night.
    Mark Spatny, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Richard

    Rutgar Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:07:59 GMT, Mark Spatny
    <> wrote:

    >Larry, says...
    >> I'll watch ER ('cause my wife got me addicted) and I have watched West Wing
    >> twice this year, but the largest part of the Network schedule is CRAP, and
    >> LOOKING GOOD is NOT reason enough to watch it.

    >Well, luckily most people don't agree with your assesment that the
    >network schedule is crap, and tens of millions of people are still
    >enthusiastically tuning in every night.

    I have to side with you Mark. I also have DirecTV's HD package. And,
    I get all of the local channels OTA digital broadcasts (7 in all).
    Star Trek Enterprise looks fantastic in HD. I also think that Voom
    is failing because it doesn't really offer anything that I already
    wasn't getting with DirecTV, and the local OTA broadcasts.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Richard

    BJ Guest

    Of the programs you listed, our family would never watch any of them except
    for ER and our standard TV's are just fine. HD is far too costly for the
    average person to view junk programming.
    Bob

    BJ, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Richard

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:25:53 GMT, "BJ" <>
    wrote:

    >Of the programs you listed, our family would never watch any of them except
    >for ER and our standard TV's are just fine. HD is far too costly for the
    >average person to view junk programming.
    >Bob

    Oh, I don't know about that. It just depends on your priorities.
    Sets can be had now for under $1000.00. Add DirecTV (who has packages
    where they give you everything, including the HD receiver, and you're
    up and running.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Dec 30, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Larry <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Fair enough. HD doesn't appeal to you for your viewing habits. However,
    >> it would be fair to point out that for people who watch regular network
    >> TV, nearly every scripted show is produced in HD these days. Whether you
    >> like West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Carnivale, ER, or dozens of other
    >> shows, they are available in HD, and many look downright gorgeous.

    >Thats exactly the problem!

    >I'll watch ER ('cause my wife got me addicted) and I have watched
    >West Wing twice this year, but the largest part of the Network
    >schedule is CRAP, and LOOKING GOOD is NOT reason enough to watch
    >it.

    Well then, don't watch the networks. If you have cable [at least
    one of the progressive cable providers] there's getting to be more
    HD added each month.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 31, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    Rutgar <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:25:53 GMT, "BJ" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Of the programs you listed, our family would never watch any of them except
    >>for ER and our standard TV's are just fine. HD is far too costly for the
    >>average person to view junk programming.
    >>Bob

    >Oh, I don't know about that. It just depends on your priorities.
    >Sets can be had now for under $1000.00. Add DirecTV (who has packages
    >where they give you everything, including the HD receiver, and you're
    >up and running.

    Locally the 36" tube type monitors are going for about $700.
    That's without a tuner, but the connections are there for direct
    connection to the cable TV box. That's cheaper than what
    standard 36" tube sets were going for a few years ago.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 31, 2004
  15. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    > "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > > Whether you
    > > like West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Carnivale, ER, or dozens of other
    > > shows, they are available in HD, and many look downright gorgeous.

    BJ, says...
    > Of the programs you listed, our family would never watch any of them except
    > for ER and our standard TV's are just fine. HD is far too costly for the
    > average person to view junk programming.
    > Bob

    Well, I don't know about your family, but clearly not everyone agrees
    with your assemement that the shows I listed are "junk programming",
    based on all the critical acclaim and awards bestowed upon those shows.
    I'll take an episode of West Wing over anything else on broadcast or
    cable television. Your tastes may vary. But broadcast TV isn't aimed at
    people who are primarily watching the WWII channel. Either way, contrary
    to what you wrote, HD doesn't have to cost anything at all. These days
    in major cities it comes in free right over the airwaves like analog TV.
    And the argument that the TVs cost too much doesn't hold water. You can
    buy an HD ready TV set in many sizes for cheaper than a similar sized
    good quality analog-only set cost just a few years ago.
    Mark Spatny, Jan 1, 2005