    setting up my own anonymous proxy server...

    Anyone got any ideas or could point me in the right direction?

    theanomaly

    theanomaly, May 15, 2006

  2. theanomaly

    nemo_outis Guest

    theanomaly <> wrote in news:e4atsn$9rj$1$8302bc10
    @news.demon.co.uk:

    > Had a look (but not an exhaustive one) on google for information on
    > setting up my own anonymous proxy server...
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas or could point me in the right direction?

    I'm not quite clear what you have in mind. Are you talking about setting
    up a (http, ftp, etc.) server for multiple others, or just for your own use
    from, say, work?

    Regards,

    PS Please mention OS, presence or absence of router, etc.

    nemo_outis, May 16, 2006

  3. theanomaly

    ~David~ Guest

    Try Tor at http://tor.eff.org/

    It lets you surf the web anonymously and set up hidden servers as well. Works
    with *nix and windows.

    ~David~

    ~David~, May 16, 2006
  4. theanomaly

    Journeyman Guest

    I assume you mean a web based proxy such as proxify

    http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/
    that should do what you want, I would suggest you have ssl support and
    only allow https, otherwise its kind of pointless

    Journeyman, May 16, 2006
  5. theanomaly

    theanomaly Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the response... I'm really just wanting to set one up for my
    own use. I've used proxify, but instead of all the data going to a
    third-party proxy server, I'd prefer to retain control of the anonymous
    proxy server myself. Any sites/login credentials could be accessed by
    the third-party proxy provider and I'm not keen on that. Hence I was
    wondering if there was something like smoothwall/m0n0 available to be
    installed onto a spare box

    theanomaly

    theanomaly, May 16, 2006
  6. theanomaly <> wrote:

    > Had a look (but not an exhaustive one) on google for information on
    > setting up my own anonymous proxy server...

    Just install Squid and disable the logging...

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Proving that three feet of frontal armor protection will defend against
    any threat is probably best demonstrated on someone else¬Ęs track.

    Juergen Nieveler, May 16, 2006
  7. theanomaly <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the response... I'm really just wanting to set one up for my
    > own use. I've used proxify, but instead of all the data going to a
    > third-party proxy server, I'd prefer to retain control of the anonymous
    > proxy server myself. Any sites/login credentials could be accessed by
    > the third-party proxy provider and I'm not keen on that. Hence I was
    > wondering if there was something like smoothwall/m0n0 available to be
    > installed onto a spare box

    Uh... what would be the point of that?

    To use an anonymous proxy means to hide your own IP behind that of the
    server - but if the server is in your own network, the IP is the same...

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    famous last words: .....MY floor is antistatic!

    Juergen Nieveler, May 16, 2006
  8. theanomaly

    nemo_outis Guest

    theanomaly <> wrote in news:e4d7bg$8ao$1$8300dec7
    @news.demon.co.uk:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thanks for the response... I'm really just wanting to set one up for my
    > own use. I've used proxify, but instead of all the data going to a
    > third-party proxy server, I'd prefer to retain control of the anonymous
    > proxy server myself. Any sites/login credentials could be accessed by
    > the third-party proxy provider and I'm not keen on that. Hence I was
    > wondering if there was something like smoothwall/m0n0 available to be
    > installed onto a spare box

    Well, I'm still in the dark about some details (your OS, router, etc.)
    but I'll plunge ahead blindly with assumptions:

    I'm going to assume you don't want the time and trouble of a heavy-duty
    proxy server (e.g., Apache, Squid), so I'll name some free/cheap ones
    that should do nicely:

    Analogx
    CCproxy (free for <= 3 connections)
    Privoxy
    Liteserve

    There are undoubtedly others...

    All of these support popular protocols (http, https, ftp, smtp/pop3,
    etc.) and are reasonably easy to set up and configure (I recommend you
    set them up with "local" IPs behind a redirecting router rather than
    running them open-to-the-world, even if password protected).

    Regards,

    PS Although you can set up your proxy server to encrypt the channel
    (using, for instance, https) I recommend you set up a secure tunnel (SSH,
    stunnel, etc. or, my favourite, OpenVPN) as your "front door" on your
    home computer that houses the proxy server. OpenVPN is what I run and
    its marvelous since it's one-tunnel-for-all-protocols rather than one-at-
    a-time.

    PPS Whether or not you use Privoxy you should look into "stripping"
    headers and other identifying info. It doesn't do much good to have a
    rock solid communication channel if the app (e.g., browser) passes
    identifying info through the proxy. Proxomitron is a possibility here,
    but some of the proxies I named above can also be configured not to
    leak/pass info.

    PPPS

    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

    http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/

    http://www.privoxy.org/

    http://www.cmfperception.com/liteserve.html

    nemo_outis, May 16, 2006
  9. theanomaly

    Journeyman Guest

    I already gave you the answer for that, if you are to stupid to
    reasearch the info people give you, don't bother asking in the first
    place I would suggest you read my first post if you wanna run your own
    web based proxy similar to proxify and such

    Journeyman, May 18, 2006
  10. theanomaly

    theanomaly Guest

    Journeyman wrote:
    > I already gave you the answer for that, if you are to stupid to
    > reasearch the info people give you, don't bother asking in the first
    > place I would suggest you read my first post if you wanna run your own
    > web based proxy similar to proxify and such

    I always laugh when accusations of stupidity are accompanied with
    terrible spelling, and punctuation!

    theanomaly

    theanomaly, May 18, 2006
  11. theanomaly wrote:
    > Journeyman wrote:
    >
    >> I already gave you the answer for that, if you are to stupid to
    >> reasearch the info people give you, don't bother asking in the first
    >> place I would suggest you read my first post if you wanna run your own
    >> web based proxy similar to proxify and such
    >>

    > I always laugh when accusations of stupidity are accompanied with
    > terrible spelling, and punctuation!

    Maybe journeyman needs to go back to the fourth grade for spelling
    lessons .... btw, I bet Journeyman can't spell fourth correctly ...
    Jouneyman's answer would be forth ....

    Hank Sniadoch, May 18, 2006