Anonymous Callers

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave Gill, May 14, 2005.

  1. Dave Gill

    Dave Gill Guest

    On my Telewest line I have anonymous caller rejection activated, in the
    hope of keeping the telesales away. It doesn't work very well nowadays
    since a lot of telesales calls show "unavailable" (or even "payphone")
    instead of "withheld".

    My Sipura SPA-1001 appears to have a similar function (Block ANC) but I
    can't get it to work. But even if it did work I'm sure that with VoIP a
    better solution could be found...

    So instead of blocking anonymous calls completely, is there a way to
    automagically dump anonymous calls (withheld *and* unavailable) to
    voicemail, either at my end using the call forwarding feature of the
    Sipura, or as a service offered by one of the VoIP providers?

    And at least that way genuine calls wouldn't be missed either.

    Dave Gill, May 14, 2005

  2. Dave Gill

    Ian Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > On my Telewest line I have anonymous caller rejection activated, in the
    > hope of keeping the telesales away. It doesn't work very well nowadays
    > since a lot of telesales calls show "unavailable" (or even "payphone")
    > instead of "withheld".
    >
    > My Sipura SPA-1001 appears to have a similar function (Block ANC) but I
    > can't get it to work. But even if it did work I'm sure that with VoIP a
    > better solution could be found...
    >
    > So instead of blocking anonymous calls completely, is there a way to
    > automagically dump anonymous calls (withheld *and* unavailable) to
    > voicemail, either at my end using the call forwarding feature of the
    > Sipura, or as a service offered by one of the VoIP providers?
    >
    > And at least that way genuine calls wouldn't be missed either.

    Hi

    I do this with my *, The Calling ID name is looked at on all calls and if
    they match the ones set the call is passed to an IVR asking the caller to
    press 5 if the call is personal and for us. This way we wont miss any
    genuine calls and is flexable. Looking at the CDR records I can see about 4
    to 5 calls a day dumped.
    For any * users I am happy to pass the details of the conf file.
    Ian

    Ian, May 14, 2005

  3. Ian" <spam"AT wrote:
    || "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    ||| On my Telewest line I have anonymous caller rejection activated, in
    ||| the hope of keeping the telesales away. It doesn't work very well
    ||| nowadays since a lot of telesales calls show "unavailable" (or even
    ||| "payphone") instead of "withheld".
    ||| My Sipura SPA-1001 appears to have a similar function (Block ANC)
    ||| but I can't get it to work. But even if it did work I'm sure that
    ||| with VoIP a better solution could be found...
    ||| So instead of blocking anonymous calls completely, is there a way to
    ||| automagically dump anonymous calls (withheld *and* unavailable) to
    ||| voicemail, either at my end using the call forwarding feature of the
    ||| Sipura, or as a service offered by one of the VoIP providers?
    ||| And at least that way genuine calls wouldn't be missed either.
    || Hi
    || I do this with my *, The Calling ID name is looked at on all calls
    || and if they match the ones set the call is passed to an IVR asking
    || the caller to press 5 if the call is personal and for us. This way
    || we wont miss any genuine calls and is flexable. Looking at the CDR
    || records I can see about 4 to 5 calls a day dumped.
    || For any * users I am happy to pass the details of the conf file.
    || Ian

    Ian,

    I would be interested in your conf file.............

    I'm battling setting up *@h. Are you able to tell me where I should put the
    box? I've currently got it connected to a spare port on the router.

    I cannot get it to work properly, at all - I can do the local echo test but
    cannot dial in or out using Sipgate (could be them at fault, I suppose)

    The Cable Guy, May 14, 2005
  4. Dave Gill

    Ian Guest

    "The Cable Guy" <21.com> wrote in message
    > Ian" <spam"AT wrote:
    > || "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > || Hi
    > || I do this with my *, The Calling ID name is looked at on all calls
    > || and if they match the ones set the call is passed to an IVR asking
    > || the caller to press 5 if the call is personal and for us. This way
    > || we wont miss any genuine calls and is flexable. Looking at the CDR
    > || records I can see about 4 to 5 calls a day dumped.
    > || For any * users I am happy to pass the details of the conf file.
    > || Ian
    >
    > Ian,
    >
    > I would be interested in your conf file.............
    >
    > I'm battling setting up *@h. Are you able to tell me where I should put

    the
    > box? I've currently got it connected to a spare port on the router.
    >
    > I cannot get it to work properly, at all - I can do the local echo test

    but
    > cannot dial in or out using Sipgate (could be them at fault, I suppose)

    Email me direct at ianATcyber-cottageDOTcoDOTuk for my

    sipgate number or click the link

    and I will go through it with you.

    http://brands.xten.net/x-web/Launch...ww.cyber-cottage.co.uk/voip/71796.SIPSettings

    Cheers Ian